Mark IIb Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan Martinez

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm pretty sure that these question have been adressed before here in the forum. I want to re-tube my amp and was wondering what tubes are a good choice for this. Mine has the post FX lvl mod.

Also, I noticed there is an electrolytic capacitor in the preamp board (looking from the rear is located on the lower right edge of the board) is labeled "Sky 450V 40uf". Is this an original cap? Mesa told me that the amp was serviced in '96. But I haven't been able to get more information about what was done back then. I got it in 2002. Maybe one of te gurus at the forum knows a bit about this and can tell me if this is an original cap or not.

Thanks for the help, God Bless!

I've been using the TAD 6L6GC STR's, Nirvana is JAN 7581A's, these are spendy.
The TAD's, from what I've been advised are Ruby tubes, just there own testing and label. Just the same they sound great!!!!!!

http://www.thetubestore.com/tad6l6gc.html

I haven't run out of my supply of Mullard ECC83's yet, but I have tried the new Tung Sol 12ax7's. They had very nice harmonics, not as sweet as the Mullards but still a very sweet sounding tube.

Just my taste.

If you like the serious overdrive try the EH 12AX7's they where great in the lead channel but just to bright for my taste clean.

Hi,
Ref that Cap Sky 450vX40uf well I'm no expert but I'd say no it's not original. mine has a Mallory 500vX30uf fitted the same value as some of the filter caps on the other side. hope it helps. Harry

Mesa would be the only one who could tell you for sure if they used a different brand cap in a particular run of amps.The only stock caps I have ever seen in a Mesa power supply were Sprague and Illinois.Manufacturers will occasionally use different brand parts if the usual parts are not available,cant say for sure if this is the case with Mesa put it could be.

Latest posts

Back