Best way to remove eq board Mark IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member here.

I original owner of a 1984 Mark IIC+. Since I knew I was going to have some time on my hands with this COVID-19 shutdown, I ordered new capacitors from Mesa.

I did a search and found lots of good info on doing the cap job, but nothing that dealt with my questions.

I have replaced all of the power filter caps and bias caps etc in the main part of the amp, but I am not sure what to do about the 4 electrolytic capacitors that are located on the eq board.

I have the caps, but how is the board attached to the chassis? It appears to just be stuck on to the side with some type of foam. I did not want to remove it and risk cracking the board or not be sure about how to reattach the board after I changed the caps.

Questions:
1. Is it worth the effort to replace those caps? -they are not high voltage
2. How to you remove the board? or would you recommend just cutting the legs from the old caps and hooking the new cap up to the old legs
3. What is the recommend way to reattach the board? I know some adhesives can become conductive, so I am not sure what to use.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Look on the outside of the chassis where the EQ board is. See any hardware? If there's none, then the board is just attached with double sided foam tape. Carefully cut through it, pull the board out, replace the caps, and take extra time and care to remove ALL the old tape before reattaching it with new tape.

Thank you for the reply.
No hardware, so it must just be double sided tape. I guess I was just expecting something more secure.

Do you have a recommend foam tape. Would something like this be ok? My main worry is about the adhesive becoming conductive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-314-Heavy-Duty-Foam-Mounting-Tape-1-x-125/19232278

OK got it out and replaced the caps. The eq board is mounted to a dense black foam that is glued to the chassis with a clear stretchy glue. I think it might be a silicon rvt adhesive or something.

To remove the eq board without yanking the crap out of it, I removed the 100/60 switch from the back of the chassis then I was able to put a long flat bladed screwdriver though the switch hole to pry the foam away from the chassis.

You can just use weatherstripping foam. It's not super critical, as long as it holds well and is non conductive.

You could even contact Mesa and have them send you a piece of what they use.

Back