mark 2b going in the shop for it's first checkup monday-Mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
any mods that would be worthy, while i have it in the shop?

the tech will do the typical tuneup...

but i've been thinking about circuit mods.....

have any of you any experience with any particular mods?

i've always thought the BASS control, added low end, but also made things flabby, on the gain side of things.

i've always thought i'd love to do some change, to the bass control, to make it give me 'some' depth, but keep things really tight.

any ideas?

thanks for the headsup, dutch, but it didn't really tell me anything, other than, there is an effects loop mod....

I have not had the effects loop mod done to my IIB.....yet....

I have been advised by several other IIB owners that the lead channel comes close to C+ lead tones post mod.

thanks for that link....
i've read those 'boogie' pages before...

ok, as far as i can tell, this mod is for being able to set pre/post levels in the effects loop.

if i do NOT use the effects loop for recording, then what do i get out of doing this mod?

From what I've been told it affects the Lead tone, whether you use the effects loop or not. My ears have not been blessed with an A-B test though, so this is from other who have done the mod. I will get my IIB done when I can afford to part with it for a while.

Copy and pasted from
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IICPlus.html
With the Mark IIB, unlike the Mark IIA, it had the junction to the Pre-Amp/Pwr Amp only on the underside of the amp. The rear panel now had a true effects send and return. next to the Slave Out jack. The IIB however had well known "issues" with this effects loop. It tended to overdrive effects when switching into lead mode, and the reverb level in lead mode was markedly decreased. Mike B. and Randy came up with a fix which lead to the effects loop mod for the IIB. It added a fourth master that allowed the effects and reverb levels to be properly balanced. However, it does change the lead sound. The mod gave the IIB a more IIC+ lead tone which is great, but very different from the IIB sound which had a compressed, less gain sound as a result of the "bottle neck" between the pre-amp and the power amp section.

thanks dutch...

i wonder how i could verbally explain the 'idea' of this mod, to the tech i'll be seeing, so he would have a clue as to what was done...

may just have to cut him loose on it, see what he dreams up.

being an 'authorized boogie repairman', wouldn't he have access to these 'mods'?

Latest posts

Back