LSC for home use

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG L

Reaction score
Been a long time since I've been on this forum. Hope everyone is well.

So, finally, I think I'll be able to get an LSC come the new year. I'm really excited especially after checking out some clips of peoples tones online (especially Andy Timmons). Anyway, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys could help me out with (fwiw I play a PRS McCarty):

1. Is the 10w option too loud for home use? I will mainly use this amp for recording.

2. Does the smallest head and cab version still yield a great tone? I really would like a small footprint as well as being lightweight.

3. If I decide to persue a custom wood finish (imbuya or bubinga) will I sacrifice tone in any way?

Thanks!

I can comment on item #1. I think the 10 watt mode is perfect for home studio use. Especially on tweed power. All the tone at reasonable volumes.

Thanks, that was the main question I had! So very excited to get my hands on this thing.

I heard a couple of clips of someone playing a PRS McCarty thru one online and it sounded a little dark. I know online sound can be deceiving due to mic choice etc. Do you guys think it might be a touch too dark with the McCarty humbuckers? I'm sure I'll be fine but you guys know how it is... Just want to get it right. Otherwise, maybe an eq boost will help. I guess I can always engage the single coil option on it but I'm more of a bucker guy. Anyhow, thanks!

I have the 50/100w version and that's pretty good for home use as well. Especially in Tweed power.

The Tone of the amp on channel 2 is very very dark. Even with brighter sounding pickups the tone is very rich, fat and dark. Definitely might wanna test it before you buy it before committing. I've had issues with this and my Les Paul.

Yes it's dark, but that gives you a chance to explore the split pups more. :D Actually, I think of it as more of a warm tone. My buckers sound really good thru the pig. Wouldn't trade it for some ice pick fender, that's for sure. And isn't the 10w class A. That tends to be a little brighter. Don't fear the comment about the 2nd ch. Cuz there's always the Reader mod to brighten things up.

Thanks fellas! From what I hear I have nothin to fear! :lol:

I guess my question 2 is a little outdated since it appears mesa doesn't make the 23in head any longer. Ah well. Not sure why they would do that since it appears a lot of people are trying to lighten this bad dog... er I mean pig, up a bit.

Actually Mesa's website and the Mesa online store still list the 23" head as available but temporarily out of stock. Might take awhile to get one if they don't build too many of them.

Oh ok, I guess I did see that on the site but when I checked out the 2010 pronet prices I didnt' see the 23in listed there. I just scanned that though, so I might've missed it and maybe they decided not to include it since it's probably the same cost as the 27in... Anyhow thanks for pointing that out so I guess there's a chance I can get the 23. :D

Yeah, I own the 23'' head and it's definitely worth the wait. It's easier to pack up to gigs, and somewhat lighter. Although light is relative, it's still a beast. I don't think you have to worry too much about the "darkness" issue either. The Treble's never past noon on my LSC when I play humbuckers in channel 2. Sounds warm, not really dark. Warm and creamy is how I would describe it. Andy Timmons tone all day long (with a delay in the loop and the dial at +, very, very important)

I love the small cabinet head because it fits in the trunk of my car easily when I go to gigs, and the trunk is very, very small and up front. Actually the 23" cabinet fits so well it looks almost like I had it custom fit to the car! You can get real nice clean tones, and the drive channel (2) is awesome. I had the big box head and returned it for the small one. They are the exact same chassis so the tones are identical even in the combos. I use a Roadster ported 1x12 cabinet with a V30 in it and it sounds stunning. Home volume on the 10 watt setting with the tweed engaged is reasonable, but I wouldn't call it quiet by any means. More like studio volume levels then bedroom levels. For that you need a isolation cabinet.

Yeah, I own the 23'' head and it's definitely worth the wait. It's easier to pack up to gigs, and somewhat lighter. Although light is relative, it's still a beast. I don't think you have to worry too much about the "darkness" issue either. The Treble's never past noon on my LSC when I play humbuckers in channel 2. Sounds warm, not really dark. Warm and creamy is how I would describe it. Andy Timmons tone all day long (with a delay in the loop and the dial at +, very, very important)

I love the small cabinet head because it fits in the trunk of my car easily when I go to gigs, and the trunk is very, very small and up front. Actually the 23" cabinet fits so well it looks almost like I had it custom fit to the car! You can get real nice clean tones, and the drive channel (2) is awesome. I had the big box head and returned it for the small one. They are the exact same chassis so the tones are identical even in the combos. I use a Roadster ported 1x12 cabinet with a V30 in it and it sounds stunning. Home volume on the 10 watt setting with the tweed engaged is reasonable, but I wouldn't call it quiet by any means. More like studio volume levels then bedroom levels. For that you need a isolation cabinet. - Edit, I found out after this post that is not true anymore. See my getting better post.

Latest posts

Back