Looking for the right amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manasta

Reaction score
Similar to yohimbe2, I'm back to playing after at least 15 years away. I am interested in a solid practice amp for use at home that produces the tone and crunch of a larger amp, but at lower volumes.

Examples of the music styles I would like to cover with this amp include AC/DC, Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Billy Idol, Bon Jovi, Buckcherry, Green Day, Jet, and Van Halen. I would also like it to handle the bluesy cleaner styles of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tom Petty, and Clapton.

I currently own a Fender DeVille (2 X 12), which is plenty loud and has a nice clear tone. But I struggle getting is to handle the styles described above without lots of effects pedals (or without cranking is way up ... which is too loud for the home).

My guitars include a Fender American Deluxe, a Gibson LP Standard, a PRS Custom 24 and a Fender MIM.

Thanks for any advice and ideas.

Pretty much all those guys were are still are Marshall guys, even SRV started out or played a marshall at some point in his life.

With that being said, newer marshalls are not that good, and to get a decent older marshall you are going to pay a pretty hefty price.

I would say go with the stiletto, will get you in that area pretty well if you want to stay with boogie.

Manasta said:
Similar to yohimbe2, I'm back to playing after at least 15 years away. I am interested in a solid practice amp for use at home that produces the tone and crunch of a larger amp, but at lower volumes.

Examples of the music styles I would like to cover with this amp include AC/DC, Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Billy Idol, Bon Jovi, Buckcherry, Green Day, Jet, and Van Halen. I would also like it to handle the bluesy cleaner styles of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tom Petty, and Clapton.

I currently own a Fender DeVille (2 X 12), which is plenty loud and has a nice clear tone. But I struggle getting is to handle the styles described above without lots of effects pedals (or without cranking is way up ... which is too loud for the home).

My guitars include a Fender American Deluxe, a Gibson LP Standard, a PRS Custom 24 and a Fender MIM.

Thanks for any advice and ideas.

Lonestar.
Classic or Special. The classic may be a little bigger than what you are looking for if you want an amp for home, the Special may fit better, but I don't have much experience with the Special. The classic runs 50 or 100 watts. The special is 5, 15, and 30 watts (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have the Classic, it will cover those with ease. I have LP and MIM Strat as well, both sound great through the Lonestar. The classic is 6l6's the special, el84's. I really like this amp, two years continuous gigging, no problems! (preventative re-tube to cover my ***!)

Came across this old thread that I started a while back and thought I would update it ... I ended up getting a LSS.

This is the perfect practice amp for me ... delivers all of those great Mesa tones at relatively lower volumes. The 5 Watt Class A setting delivers great harmonics, allowing me to really practice all aspects of guitar playing at home ... without rattling the pictures on the wall.

Haven't really cranked it up yet ... although I get an impression from playing with the 15 and 30 Watt settings that it will get pretty loud.

All in all ... very satisfied ... and it works great with both HB and SC pups.

Manasta

Back