Dilemma: carry my MKV each time, or use provided amp...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiveman

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a dilemma. The band I just joined rehearses at a shared space, so I'm not comfortable leaving my Mark V in there in between practices as there are too many unknown people coming through on a weekly basis. Bringing my amp and 2x12 cab each time is inconvenient enough by itself, but to make matters worse, the room is on 5th floor with no elevator. :-( I already have to carry my guitar, Digitech GSP1101 processor with large foot controller, plus wah and miscellaneous cables. It's out of question to also have to carry amp AND 2x12 cab (even with multiple trips up/down), especially a MKV. Just not worth it for a few hours practice, once a week.

There is an amp provided at the space. I'm pretty sure it's a Fender Hot Rod, either Deluxe or Deville. Perfectly fine amp (tube, loud, has a serial FX loop, etc.). I would certainly use my GSP1101 with that amp, similar to how I would use it with my Mark V (4CM). But it's not a Mark V. And I have a Mark V. I want to USE my freaking Mark V! It's killing me that it's just a decoration in my apartment right now. You know the feeling... :-(

Anyways... The way I see it, I have these options:

OPTION 1
  • Rehearse on the provided Fender amp.
  • Use only basic clean channel on Fender without channel switching
  • Use GSP1101 in 4CM with typical FX (COMP, OD, Delay, Reverb, Chorus, etc.) PLUS amp/preamp modelers in the GSP.
  • Use Mark V when playing shows (no digital modelers on GSP1101, just FX).

Major benefit of this approach is that I would only carry GSP1101 with me (along with guitar and stuff), AND that I would be able to use virtually the same setup at home when practicing in-between rehearsals. Downside = no Mark V at rehearsals, plus I have to use a different setup for live shows.

OPTION 2
  • Rehearse on the provided Fender amp.
  • Use Fender's 2 amp channels for the foundation of clean and distorted tones, while using Fender's footswitch to switch channels.
  • Use GSP1101 in 4CM, but do not use GSP's preamp modelers. Only use its FX and OD as needed.
  • Use Mark V when playing shows (no digital modelers on GSP1101, just FX).

Major benefit = carrying only GSP1101. Also, this would likely sound better at rehearsal as opposed to OPTION 1 where I would use digital preamp modelers. Downsides = having different-enough setup at home. Also, more tap-dancing, having to use the Fender channel switcher. Also, no Mark V at rehearsals and different setup for shows.

OPTION 3
  • Carry Mark V HEAD each time to practice, but no speaker cab. Maybe get the drummer to carry my guitar and cables up the stairs. :lol:
  • Hook up a dummy 8ohm load to Mark V (I have a home-made one).
  • Use GSP1101 in 4CM with MarkV, using a midi-controlled Voodo Channel Switcher along.
  • Connect SLAVE OUT on MarkV to Fender amp's FX return (thus only using it's power section and speaker).
  • For shows, everything is the same, except instead of Fender Amp and dummy load, I would simply use my Mesa 2x12 cab, with everything else being IDENTICAL.

Major benefits = MARK V!!! Also, having almost identical setup at home. Also, having almost identical setup for shows. Downsides = carrying Mark V head and having to use a dummy load (which makes me uneasy). Also, more time for setup/teardown at rehearsals.

As much as I would love my Mark V there, I have to say that I'm leaning on #1.

Btw, it's a classic rock cover band.... Occasional live shows, once every few months or so... Nothing too regular.

Any advice? What would you do?

p.s. Sorry for what must be the longest post I've ever written... :)

save the wear and tear on the MKV head and use the fender(and pretend you like it)at the area.... so option 1 is the clear choice.....maybe you can get the band to change practice venues(option 4)I don't trust the dummy load,, imo..... maybe after awhile a better band situation will come your way!!!!
geez maybe I should have gotten a head instead of a combo :wink: in the past I have quit bands for just those reasons alone... some times its just not worth it...but being on stage is awesome
keep rockin

Screamingdaisy, I'm not sure about fender's speaker. I'll check next time. That would certainly eliminate the dummy load and simplify things a little bit. Would I only need to make sure it's 4 or 8 ohm speaker with reasonable max wattage? Wouldn't want to damage it (or my amp) of course. But in any case, are you thinking this would be the best option, if I have access to the speaker?

Mesa metal... Yeah I hear ya... I have been satisfied with my choice of buying the head already, several times. :)

Jiveman said:
Would I only need to make sure it's 4 or 8 ohm speaker with reasonable max wattage?

Pretty much.

But in any case, are you thinking this would be the best option, if I have access to the speaker?

It would be an option. Whether it's the best option is something only you can decide.

Besides, you'll need to hear your amp through that speaker before you'll know if you even like it or not.

I have a Mesa Widebody 1x12. It's not my favourite cab (I prefer my Recto 2x12)... but it's really light and easy to move around when going to jam spaces.

screamingdaisy said:
Besides, you'll need to hear your amp through that speaker before you'll know if you even like it or not.

Generally I would agree, but in this case, I don't think that would matter. It's gonna be either MarkV into that Fender speaker, or Fender amp into the same speaker. The Mesa Recto 2x12 will be used for shows, but not for practices. So with that in mind, I doubt Mark V would sound worse to me than the Fender amp. Especially considering I would have all the same channels and wiring for my components between rehearsals and gigs. Whatever sound change there might be between the speakers is still going to be closer than the differences between MarkV preamp/amp and the Fender and/or GSP1101 modelling.

Btw, for reference, if I'm correct that is is EXACTLY the Hot Rod Deluxe, here's the manual from Fender:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Hot_Rod_Deluxe_manual.pdf (page 7 has the speaker wiring)

According to that, it looks like the speaker is plugged in, so I should be able to "borrow" that connection.

5 flights w/o an elevator daaannggg!!!

I'd go with option 3 and grab a 1x12 ext cab for the lock out...or look for another spot to practice!!!

I often enjoy playing on new gear and potentially getting some new ideas on rig configuration and sound. I always use my own stuff on live performances but rehearsal is usually with a rental or one available to use at the rehearsal spot. In fact, I often just go straight to amp and use my guitar tone controls to get a variety of sounds. Not sure if I'm articulating this correctly...but not having a wide array of effects allows you to focus on your core main sound/playing and you'll often hear things you can tweak there without having it masked with modulation or drive effects. Once you get the effects back in all the better.

Its just a rehearsal which I find usually focuses on chops and arrangement so your tone won't matter as much because live venue's usually require a reshape of tone each and every time anyways.

I gave up trying to use the rehearsal space amps we jam at. Everything is so beaten up. I also used to bring a Big Shot ABY and usually use a JC-120 for cleans and a Marshall they have. The JC-120 for cleans sucked as their JC's are beat to hell. I just lug my Mark V, pedal board, and one guitar and use there beater cabs.

Man, please, go with Option 3 and be happy! LIFE IS JUST TOO SHORT NOT TO USE YOUR MARK V ..............!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Mark V and before I had my 2x12 Cab, I used to hook it on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12. There is actually a 1/4" plug very easy to plug into your mk v head. It is 8 ohms BTW.

Let me help you out with different perspectives:
1) Bringing your Mk V head 5 floors will get you exercised for the week !!!
2) You can skip leg day on the gym for sure !!! :D
3) You will loose a couple of pounds after 1 month of this exercise !!! I wouldnt mind, and my wife would appreciate, but that's just me !! :lol:

Besides, the roar of this beast even at rehearsal is something that I am personally not ready to give up ...

Good luck !

I can totally understand the frustration. I was in a cramped practice space for a few months, where getting my mark v was out of the question. I was forced to use my pod hd500 through some fender. It's not worth it.... if you are doing just one show every couple of months, it just seems like a waste of tone :). Needless to say, I convinced my band to move to a bigger space and its so much better. You just play better when you hear the tone you want to and it is a seamless transition to the stage. No brain farts on what patch to use, its all just automatic.

jb's 52 said:
I'd go with option 3 and grab a 1x12 ext cab for the lock out...or look for another spot to practice!!!
Getting an ext 1x12 cab wouldn't make sense in this case (as carrying just the head back-n-forth is pushing it, as is). If I do option 3, it'll be to plug into the hijacked speaker from the Fender. But, yeah, the guys have already mentioned keeping an eye out for another space... But this one is a quality space, with good equipment, for good money. The only issue, really, is stairs. And if it works for everyone else, I don't want to insist on another one.

thalweg said:
...but not having a wide array of effects allows you to focus on your core main sound/playing and you'll often hear things you can tweak there without having it masked with modulation or drive effects. Once you get the effects back in all the better.

Its just a rehearsal which I find usually focuses on chops and arrangement so your tone won't matter as much because live venue's usually require a reshape of tone each and every time anyways.
That may be true, but it misses the point of the dilemma. Bringing FX with me is no issue whatsoever. It's one single bag. Yes, it takes a little longer to hook it up, and yes, i suppose it would be one less thing to carry. But the real struggle is whether or not to carry the Mark V head each time, or just use the Fender amp over there. Leaving FX behind for rehearsals doesn't really solve my issue.
zakkselvagem said:
Man, please, go with Option 3 and be happy! LIFE IS JUST TOO SHORT NOT TO USE YOUR MARK V ..............!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Mark V and before I had my 2x12 Cab, I used to hook it on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12. There is actually a 1/4" plug very easy to plug into your mk v head. It is 8 ohms BTW.

Let me help you out with different perspectives:
1) Bringing your Mk V head 5 floors will get you exercised for the week !!!
2) You can skip leg day on the gym for sure !!! :D
3) You will loose a couple of pounds after 1 month of this exercise !!! I wouldnt mind, and my wife would appreciate, but that's just me !! :lol:

Haha, too true! :) But hey, joking aside, that's awesome that you basically used your Mark V with EXACTLY the same cab as I'm facing here. How different was your tone between the regular 2x12 (Mesa Recto?) and the one from Hot Rod's combo? Of course they'd be different, but overall, would you say the MKV preamp setup, EQ, gain settings, had to be VASTLY different on the 2x12, or what?

toneseeker911 said:
I can totally understand the frustration. I was in a cramped practice space for a few months, where getting my mark v was out of the question. I was forced to use my pod hd500 through some fender. It's not worth it.... if you are doing just one show every couple of months, it just seems like a waste of tone :). Needless to say, I convinced my band to move to a bigger space and its so much better. You just play better when you hear the tone you want to and it is a seamless transition to the stage. No brain farts on what patch to use, its all just automatic.
I think you totally nailed exactly how I feel about this, especially the last part about practicing with the similar-enough setup as for gigs. :)

Thanks everyone for your input so far! I'm pretty sure it's going to be either option 1 or option 3 (but definitely thinking about option 3 more and more :) ). That dummy load was throwing me off... But now that I know I can plug into Fender's speaker, it makes things easier. It comes to whether or not I can carry it 5 flights or not. :lol: And I'm not a big/strong guy (at 5ft10 and 165lbs :oops: ). I can't attend this Friday's practice as I'll be out of town, so I guess I won't find out until next week Friday. So, we'll see. I'll be sure to report back!

If it's an open stair well, hook up a pully system and a jib... easy as pie!

http://www.google.com.mx/imgres?imgurl=http://www.liftkingmsf.com/crane/column-type-jib-crane-a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.liftkingmsf.com/column-type-jib-crane.htm&h=455&w=471&sz=31&tbnid=1heq4VBWwBHtsM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=93&zoom=1&usg=__ZfCKLvou9E3XiwPE5S9aZ7aB85g=&docid=3AGE5Xi_tRGUSM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xClbUf3wGOfWyQGP74GwAQ&ved=0CEwQ9QEwAg&dur=10034

your welcome. 8)

Well, friends.... I took the Mark V head with me to last practice, and... yeah... that won't happen again. :-( Too heavy, too many steps, too much time for setup and tear-down, sounded too honky and with no balls through Fender's speaker (single 12'' open back, I don't know what kind). Just not worth the added trouble.

So I'm on Option 1, for now. Actually, simplified Option 1. Just GSP1101 into power amp section of Fender amp (FX return, basically) and then everything controlled on GSP1101. Then Mark V for gigs.

In the meantime, we'll be keeping an eye open for other practice spaces, but chances are we won't be able to find anything for the cost of this space (not even close), and I'll just have to suck it up.

Only other option (with this rehearsal space) is to keep the Mark V head and Recto 2x12 kept at the rehearsal space, stashed in some corner with a note "do not use." The owner seems decent and knowledgeable of his bands/customers there... But the thought scares me... :( Perhaps with an amp head carrying case with locks. Even so....

These are the times when I think whether I'd be better off selling/trading Mark V for Axe FX. :?

Hmm

Glad I don't face the issue. I've got used to most of the effects going through the effects loop on the MK V so plugging them in line would change the tone quite a bit I'm guessing.

Go with option 1 and 3.

There will be days you don't have the energy to carry your gear up a flight a stairs so option 1 is good and life is too short, so enjoy your amp also.

Latest posts

Back