Let me hear the METAL!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iceman said:
I got my 1x12 Mark V a couple of days ago. I have an esp mk-ii and a epi les paul with ducan sh-6 pickups. I couldn't get the metal tone I was looking for. Yes part of it was the 1x12 but I also played it through a closed 2x12 (v30s). The cleans have awesome tone (playing through the emgs). I hate to admit it on this board, I took the Mark V back and got a roadster instead. I still have a bit of returner's remorse because the tone was great just not the metal riffing crunch I was looking for. I don't have a 4x12 so don't know what that would have sounded like, it just wasn't the metal sound I was looking for, could be for many others though, just not me. If I could afford both the roadster and the Mark V I'd keep them both, but I'm thinking if I just wanted great cleans I could probably get it in a cheaper amp. It really isn't a knock on the Mark V, the sounds are great just not my style. Its a very subjective subject after all, so you should judge it for yourself.

So i'm not crazy? ;)

I am waiting like others for the head to arrive. I am interested though in how people will be capturing the sound. I may have to go to my guitar mentor's and record in his studio to get a true sense of what it sounds like, but that would be through his Orange cab (which might not be a bad thing).

I am always wary of the youtube clips where you are unsure if its a low budget camera with mic, or a webcam or something else. You get the idea but, perhaps you lose something in the mix.

The other side of this is what defines a "metal" tone. I keep dialing back the gain on my current setup and still play heavy, aggressive music, just more clearly. Ultimately though, if what I have witnessed is capable on a Mark IV, and the Mark V can match it, then I am confident I will be happy with this amp for the heavy stuff.

Geez, I am really thinking now, what type of guitars and pick-ups have people tried? What tunings? What genre's of metal, and beyond that, what settings on the amp? I can't wait to get mine and help contribute to the tone settings guide I am sure will start up on these forums.

Man, getting nervous over here. There's a guy selling a markiv combo for about 1100 usd and it's looks pretty much new. And there is NEVER any mark iv's for sale around here.

Maybe I should cancel my V order and go for that combo. Man, what to do.

Cleans are great, but I want that metal.

iceman said:
If I could afford both the roadster and the Mark V I'd keep them both, but I'm thinking if I just wanted great cleans I could probably get it in a cheaper amp.

Spend some time with the cleans on the Roadster.

You got great cleans as well!

iFreedom said:
Man, getting nervous over here. There's a guy selling a markiv combo for about 1100 usd and it's looks pretty much new. And there is NEVER any mark iv's for sale around here.

Maybe I should cancel my V order and go for that combo. Man, what to do.

Cleans are great, but I want that metal.

If you know that you will be able to test drive a V later, you could always grab the IV while it is available.

Then take the V for a spin when you get the chance. I think you would have no problem getting all your money back on the IV if you decide to go for the V.

Mungo Zen said:
The other side of this is what defines a "metal" tone. I keep dialing back the gain on my current setup and still play heavy, aggressive music, just more clearly.

With you big time there.

I generally keep my gain dailed back a bit as well. But I do whale on the strings which I think has a big impact on tone.

The clips I have heard so far it sounds like it would do metal by my standards fine. In fact, I think it has sounded fantastic in a lot of the clips I have heard.

But if someone is looking for the huge bottom end, they are better off with a recto.

I want one. Won't sell my Mark IV to get it (I have this illusion in my mind that someday I will own all the mark series), but at this point I plan for it to be my next amp.

primal said:
Mungo Zen said:
But if someone is looking for the huge bottom end, they are better off with a recto.

Yep I was looking for the bottom end. The leads on the Mark V are great. There is a Mark V combo in the Milwaukee area if anybody wants to demo it (it can be bought online too).

IMO, the only modern metal amp Mesa has ever made are the Rectifiers.

Roadster/Road King = Hard Rock
Mark Series = Old School Metal/Traditional Boogie Lead
Stiletto/Ace = Old School Metal/Traditional Marshall Lead

So you're going to need more frontend EQ/boost/overdrive/distortion in order to get a modern metal tone. Which is the way it was done in the 80s. These amps are "old school" not "new school" (Rectifier, Knucklehead, Uberscall, VH4, etc.).

Eventually I think we all realize we get our best rhythm tone from one amp and our best lead tone from another.

EDIT: Mark V "Extreme" setting does take it into New/Modern School metal tone.

Mr_You said:
IMO, the only modern metal amp Mesa has ever made are the Rectifiers.

Roadster/Road King = Hard Rock
Mark Series = Old School Metal/Traditional Boogie Lead
Stiletto/Ace = Old School Metal/Traditional Marshall Lead

So you're going to need more frontend EQ/boost/overdrive/distortion in order to get a modern metal tone. Which is the way it was done in the 80s. These amps are "old school" not "new school" (Rectifier, Knucklehead, Uberscall, VH4, etc.).

Eventually I think we all realize we get our best rhythm tone from one amp and our best lead tone from another.

Does this change your opinion at all? Not me, but it's a Mark IV.

http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_DL/32/06/freemp3/zorran+fyes.mp3

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=2447247

A big trick to getting what is called "modern" metal tones is to use V30's.

JohnDNJ said:
There were no issues with it. The tubes were all fine...

I would love to get together with you when you do get your V and compare! :)
Seriously, let's get together along with jdruso who is also in central jersey and do a shootout. :)
If swapping out the 6l6's for 34's gives a killer metal sound without screwing up
the other stuff TOO much then you got a winner.

To "my" ears, the 2 el34's with 2 6l6's you can do on the IV (with all the other options of course)
is just killer and gives you the best of both world's without sacrificing too much of what makes either style
what it is. As far as I know you can't do that on the V, it's either one or the other and
if that is indeed the case then thats another flaw with the V. Your cleans will certainly suffer
with the 34's and the 6l6's just dont bite enough...this is a LONG standing issue\debate amongst boogie owners
I'm not just making that up!

As far as tubing the IV goes, Petrucci seems to think the same way..take a look at his rig photo's
off his website, they have a shot of his IV heads from the back and oh...whats that?
2 of each...and stock Mesa tubes to boot...That (along with my ears) is good enough for me to be
convinced. :)

We shall see when they're in the hands of those that really know these amps. I think most of the people getting the V's are those who haven't played around with Mark series amps and were expecting something else, or who just haven't found out how to tweak them

And for me, i keep EL34's out of my Boogies.

This thread is awesome :D.

I think it will do metal just fine. If you read posts from those guys (metalheads) that had Mark IV's and played the V at NAMM or the MB store, they think it's great and more than enough for metal. While I am a little nervous about the two comments in this thread that say it can't do metal, I'm confident that Boogie wouldn't forget about all of the metalheads that love the Mark series. The one thing that does kind of worry me is the one gain knob. On my IV, I used to run the drive and gain around 8 and the treble at 9 so since we only have one gain knob now the drive must be preset at some level. Hopefully, it's not like 5 or 6 because that could very well mean the end for modern metal on the Mark V. I guess we'll see.

If you check out some of the vids on youtube shot by people walking by the Mesa booth at NAMM, it's pretty clear that it has a lot of gain. Granted, most of them are dudes shredding out but you can tell it will get hairy if you know what you're doing.

AFAIK the power section in this amp is very versatile. Nobody seems to even talk about the recto tube sag (I liked that on my old RK1 for fusion leads). Strange.

The following scenarios are possible:

1) 4x6L6
2) 4xEL34
3) 2xEL34 + 2x6L6

If you haven't tested all combinations, plz don't leave a review here and think it's "official". User manual still not available for download.

I can't imagine this amp can't do metal. That would be VERY lame. IIC+ and IV modes and no metal? bullshit.

Metallica MOP was essentially a IIC+ into a Marshall EL34 power section.

SOMEBODY PLEASE CRANK THE ***** WITH 4XEL34s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danyeo1 said:

No, the first tune is a metal tune, but the tone is old school.

No on the second tune, its barely metal IMO, sounds more like nu-metal.

Both of these are good examples of what I consider "Old School" metal tone even though they're playing modern "metal" music, but for modern metal tone (or nu-metal uggh), its gotta be even more aggressive/angry sounding. But I'm not saying you shouldn't play modern metal with an old school tone, its a personal preference.

I agree the V30s can be very aggressive.

Metallicas MOP, which came out in the mid-80s, is a perfect example of "Old School" metal tone.

Well I just heard the Mark V demo and the "Extreme" setting sounds very "Modern Metal" sounding. So I have to say its gone beyond the "Old School" metal tones that the Mark series is traditionally known for. I'll have to update my earlier comments heh.

Mr_You said:
danyeo1 said:

No, the first tune is a metal tune, but the tone is old school.

No on the second tune, its barely metal IMO, sounds more like nu-metal.

Both of these are good examples of what I consider "Old School" metal tone even though they're playing modern "metal" music, but for modern metal tone (or nu-metal uggh), its gotta be even more aggressive/angry sounding. But I'm not saying you shouldn't play modern metal with an old school tone, its a personal preference.

I agree the V30s can be very aggressive.

Metallicas MOP, which came out in the mid-80s, is a perfect example of "Old School" metal tone.

Whatever works for you. But, Lamb Of God seems to be called a Modern metal band right? FWIW, i don't like them or the tones they get but i don't see anyone calling them oldschool.

And I'm also not a big Chevelle fan. They're not what i call a metal band, but the tone he uses could be used in many modern metal bands IMHO.

You know what...the Mark V will do fine for metal. The combo guys say it ain't good for metal, but I don't think they have what they need on it. All us metal guys are chomping at the bit and we will be pleased.

I have a Trip Recto an I plan to bi-amp my Mark V (into a Recto 4X12) with my Recto (into a Recto 2X12) to create a fat sound that is all my own. They will be very different because of the voicings. Also, I have found that keeping my gain around the 2:30 o'clock position is the cats meow. My most important ingredient is overdrive. Overdrive makes these boys sing!

Don't worry about the naysayers...the Mark V will be what I like to call American Brutailty...finally an amp that has the ability to do more than just kick some *** on one arena.

El Miz :lol:

And just so it is said; Mark IV combos couldn't do metal either, but a Mark IV head into a closed back 2x12 or 4x12... or TWO 4x12's is the very definition of metal.

Just wait til the heads come in and we can put them up on 2x12 and 4x12 mesa cabs.. youll get the metal. A 1x12 combo isnt going to give you the bottom end you need to rip.

Back