Let me hear the METAL!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not many people know how to get the metal tone. Many try...and many fail and blame it on the amp or the gear. It is usually the lack of knowledge on how to get it. That is where the combo guys have messed up trying to emulate it. I can hear the voicing from the samples that people are placing with rock tones. I have a recto, but i just recently sold a Nomad 100 and it smoked on metal tones, but everyone I see talking about them say that they suck...my Nomad was AWESOME. The Mark V will be just what I am looking for to add to my rig. If I ever get it. I paid for it Jan 20 2009 nd I still don't have my head! Maybe, very very soon!!!

El Miz :lol:

Brownhog72 said:
Not many people know how to get the metal tone. Many try...and many fail and blame it on the amp or the gear. It is usually the lack of knowledge on how to get it. That is where the combo guys have messed up trying to emulate it. I can hear the voicing from the samples that people are placing with rock tones. I have a recto, but i just recently sold a Nomad 100 and it smoked on metal tones, but everyone I see talking about them say that they suck...my Nomad was AWESOME. The Mark V will be just what I am looking for to add to my rig. If I ever get it. I paid for it Jan 20 2009 nd I still don't have my head! Maybe, very very soon!!!

Wait up, you dont happen to do all those youtube videos with gear reviews and demos. If so thanks a lot for taking the time to do those. One of the reasons why I'm picking up a Tremonti wah soon ( Got a chance to demo one in a store and I liked it a lot). I'm looking forward for a video of you dailing some metal tones out of a Mark 5. If anyone here has listened to the new Dream Theater song that came out I hope we can get a similar tone out of the 5. I know Petrucci mentioned using the 5 on a solo or two using the Mark 1 mode but I want that insanely chunky rhythm which I think I can get close with my 4 but close isn't good enough. Yes I realize its a recorded tone and that will always be different than what you hear in person but I mean who can blame me for wanting that monster sound. :twisted:

Dave

katsumura78 said:
Brownhog72 said:

Wait up, you dont happen to do all those youtube videos with gear reviews and demos. If so thanks a lot for taking the time to do those. One of the reasons why I'm picking up a Tremonti wah soon ( Got a chance to demo one in a store and I liked it a lot). I'm looking forward for a video of you dailing some metal tones out of a Mark 5. If anyone here has listened to the new Dream Theater song that came out I hope we can get a similar tone out of the 5. I know Petrucci mentioned using the 5 on a solo or two using the Mark 1 mode but I want that insanely chunky rhythm which I think I can get close with my 4 but close isn't good enough. Yes I realize its a recorded tone and that will always be different than what you hear in person but I mean who can blame me for wanting that monster sound. :twisted:

Dave

Gear Chat...yeah that is me!!! Thanks for watching. I won't be able to post any new videos until I complete my move to Japan, but i will be doing so! I am building up my rig so i want to show it to the world once I am done!!! Once again, thanks for watching bro...I can't believe so many people tune in to watch my little videos.

Mizike

Brownhog72 said:
katsumura78 said:
Brownhog72 said:

Dave

Gear Chat...yeah that is me!!! Thanks for watching. I won't be able to post any new videos until I complete my move to Japan, but i will be doing so! I am building up my rig so i want to show it to the world once I am done!!! Once again, thanks for watching bro...I can't believe so many people tune in to watch my little videos.

Mizike

I've watched a few. You're a pretty entertaining guy. :D

I believe most great Mark metal tones in the past were achieved using an OD in front.... This why some people try a mark V and don't ear the metal tones they expect. Put an OD and noïse gate in front and i bet it will kill for metal. Even a rectifier sounds a lot better with an OD in front if what you're looking for is a good metal tone.

Brownhog72 said:

It's dead simple to dial up an (old school) metal tone on a Mark series, and with all the online pictures of sample settings floating around on the 'net there's really no excuse for not being able to dial in a ballpark metal tone fairly quickly and then just doing some fine tuning after that.

When I first read up on the V's "extreme" mode I initially thought this was Mesa's attempt at adding a more modern high gain tone to the Mark series line.

But on one of the youtube vids one of the guys that was demoing the unit said that extreme mode was voiced after the Mark IV's lead channel with the presence pushed in.

Which was a bummer for me to read because I never liked my Mark IV's lead channel with the presence pushed in, I always had it pulled.

Looking forward to hear for myself at some point, I'm in no rush though...

Maybe a silly question, but what does everyone here define as metal tones? old school and new school?

I mean if metallica is old school (except load and reload which is hard rock) is st anger new school? The new album (doesnt sound great, not bad but not great in my opnion) is more old school...

in general old school is slayer metallica and the likes (and lamb of god, they are modern but tone is old) and new school is nu-metal which is the rectifier or a big, less focused tone, (the 90's version of hair metal, which is what the rectifier was made to do, im pretty sure)..

i dont have a clue what it can do, im pretty sure with all the configs you can pull any style of music off with it... but its decidely "old school" in design and therefore will do that. If modern metal tones are what one is looking for , the rectifier series seems more akin for that... or a framus or bogner uberschall, or i dunno...

hey what is the new metal anyway?

dmcguitar said:
Maybe a silly question, but what does everyone here define as metal tones? old school and new school?

I mean if metallica is old school (except load and reload which is hard rock) is st anger new school? The new album (doesnt sound great, not bad but not great in my opnion) is more old school...

in general old school is slayer metallica and the likes (and lamb of god, they are modern but tone is old) and new school is nu-metal which is the rectifier or a big, less focused tone, (the 90's version of hair metal, which is what the rectifier was made to do, im pretty sure)..

i dont have a clue what it can do, im pretty sure with all the configs you can pull any style of music off with it... but its decidely "old school" in design and therefore will do that. If modern metal tones are what one is looking for , the rectifier series seems more akin for that... or a framus or bogner uberschall, or i dunno...

hey what is the new metal anyway?

Old school metal tones usually have a more raw sound where as the new metal bands use a highly polished mid cut tone. Metallica pre-black album was their old school days. Metallica are not new metal, they went from old school to **** school in my opinion.

If you want to hear old school metal tones, listen to early sepultura, metallica, megadeth, coroner or atheist... new metal tones look at messhugah and LOG, etc

To me metal guitar needs to have lots of gain/distortion, tons of low end woof when palm muting, and tons of high end percussive pick noise when palm muting. The mids are generally scooped way out (removed) to emphasize the highs and lows. Cutting the middle slider on the boogie graphic EQ is the definition of this sound. I expect the palm muted notes to be substantially louder than open power chords. I also expect to hear a distinct pick noise at the beginning of every note, lead or rhythm. Harmonics should ring out easily. Generally you would use a bridge humbucker pickup and a whammy bar for dive bombs ;) I generally prefer a harder square wave type distortion which is thick and powerful rather than a noisy fizzy distortion. Square waves only contain odd integer harmonics whereas sawtooth waves contain all integers. Of course with tons of distortion, you're going to have every harmonic, but I like to lean towards the square wave for metal.

So far all of the clips I've heard of the V have been very mid-rangy with the palm muted notes considerably quieter than the open chords and very little pick noise.

I would consider ...And Justice For All to be the most gluttonously scooped old school metal sound. They kinda went too far to where it makes your speakers pop out and distort when they palm mute. Also the pick noise is louder and more percussive than the drums sometimes.

For a modern sound, my favorite is Killswitch Engage. I have a 2ch Triple Recto for that stuff though. For my music, the old school sound fits better. So I'm hoping the V pulls through so I can sell my IV.

that first track "hypnotize" has a f*cking ill rhythm sound. it make me want to plug my esp m1 in to my blue stripe mark III with the middle slider way down and give my apartment complex hell!

I am by no means an expert on this topic, but I do listen to a lot of metal and hard rock, of many genres.

My take on it has two sides, technology and tuning.

I was reading this thread earlier wondering if someone would ask "what is modern metal tone". I started listening to stuff so that I could show examples of "this is X type of Metal tone". Except, I noticed a trend.

Tuning - Almost every band that I would classify as using a modern metal tone drop tune. You have everything from standard Drop D to guys downtuning to C and then all the 7 string players with B or Bb. These drop tunings roll a lot heavier and thicker, but yet they all come across clearly, much more so then in previous eras.

Technology - While looking at some stuff I listened to a bunch of remastered albums (mostly Megadeth). When you A/B a lot of remastered metal you find that a lot of the "classic" metal tones are much heavier and aggressive, more modern sounding when remastered. The technology at the time didn't necessarily allow for the low end to be as present, the highs to potentially be overly present, and sometimes the mids were mixed up to compensate for the lack of bass. As well modern tech has allowed much cleaner applications for gain saturation.

So, ok, I am making a bit of a generalization here but those combined point to the fact that as technology has improved, denser music, with a lot more low end has been more accessible.

So perhaps that is your answer to "What is Modern v Classic Metal". It is that modern technology allows for much cleaner application of high gain, punchier more present bass and cleaner voicing of individual notes even on the lowest tunings.

Now, which bands apply this...that is personal preference I guess. I point however, to Rob Halford. If you listen to early Judas Priest, it had a "classic" metal tone, but if you can, listen to Halford - Live Insurrection (where he plays several classic Priest tunes). Yes it had a lot of post production but, the tone is a lot of heavier without sounding terrible.

With all of that said though, whether it be modern or classic, the tone you want should be what you own. If the Mark V gives you the tone you want, then great. If not, there are dozens of other amps you can buy.

You guys, writing all that while I was trying to post...

[/quote]

We shall see when they're in the hands of those that really know these amps. I think most of the people getting the V's are those who haven't played around with Mark series amps and were expecting something else, or who just haven't found out how to tweak them

And for me, i keep EL34's out of my Boogies.[/quote]

DITTO

Yea, screw EL34's. Plus use a boost and an eq with a noise gate before passing judgment. I used a modified SD-1 in front of my IV combo and people said it was the sickest tone ever. My instructor (when I had one back then) bought a head the same week he heard my tone.

Here are some Clips of my Mark V on Channel 3, many more to come, this was done quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmD6on4wo_A

Cheers!

Clint

clintalan said:
Here are some Clips of my Mark V on Channel 3, many more to come, this was done quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmD6on4wo_A

Cheers!

Clint

sounded decent but IMHO all 3 modes were so similar sounding that I can't tell a difference b/n the 3...

I'm assuming it's stock 4x6L6 like everyone else?

i have a feeling that the differences between IIC+ and IV mode may be more in feel and compression. I am hoping that the IIC+ mode will be more touch sensitive, less compressed, and retains the ability to roll of the guitar volume and clean up the tone. On the other hand I assume the IV mode will be more compressed and up-front so to speak.

I can tell a difference between Extreme and the others, but IIC+ and IV not so much.

Well if Ch2 is a Mark I channel, I won't expect metal tones from it either. I think you'll still need an OD with that channel. But I'm only judging by the specs.

danvortex said:
I believe most great Mark metal tones in the past were achieved using an OD in front.... This why some people try a mark V and don't ear the metal tones they expect. Put an OD and noïse gate in front and i bet it will kill for metal. Even a rectifier sounds a lot better with an OD in front if what you're looking for is a good metal tone.

One thing is for certain, there was no OD in front on Master Of Puppets.

Latest posts

Back