Let me hear the METAL!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iconoclysm said:
danvortex said:
I believe most great Mark metal tones in the past were achieved using an OD in front.... This why some people try a mark V and don't ear the metal tones they expect. Put an OD and noïse gate in front and i bet it will kill for metal. Even a rectifier sounds a lot better with an OD in front if what you're looking for is a good metal tone.

One thing is for certain, there was no OD in front on Master Of Puppets.

There wasn't. And FWIW, i feel i can get the MOP on any Mark IIC+ or IV easily WITHOUT any boost pedal.

And for me, i can't stand Rectos unless they have a boost to tighten them up. I hate how loose and soggy they are without a boost.

danyeo1 said:
There wasn't. And FWIW, i feel i can get the MOP on any Mark IIC+ or IV easily WITHOUT any boost pedal.

And for me, i can't stand Rectos unless they have a boost to tighten them up. I hate how loose and soggy they are without a boost.

I agree with you 100%. I never used an OD with my Mesas until I got a Recto. I can't wait to take them off my pedalboard when my Mark V arrives. I sold my KLON on eBay this week.

danyeo1 said:

I keep seeing reference to how the Rectos need an OD out front to tighten them up. I've never encountered this with the Roadster and I A/B it with the Mark IV.

Mark Fore said:
danyeo1 said:

I agree with you 100%. I never used an OD with my Mesas until I got a Recto. I can't wait to take them off my pedalboard when my Mark V arrives. I sold my KLON on eBay this week.
KLON..??and you didnt offer on the board first?? :twisted: (at least I didnt see...)
..whattya get for it?

I don't know about Master of Puppets but i know Metallica often used an OD in front of their Boogies. I even have a Guitar magazine article with Kirk saying that his secret weapon was his Tube screamer in front of his boogies. But I'd say studio can be a different thing, with all that happens in the mix and mastering...

danvortex said:
I don't know about Master of Puppets but i know Metallica often used an OD in front of their Boogies. I even have a Guitar magazine article with Kirk saying that his secret weapon was his Tube screamer in front of his boogies. But I'd say studio can be a different thing, with all that happens in the mix and mastering...

His solo tone is VERY different from the rythm tone.

I remember reading this too, and I also remember reading that Hetfield tried a boost pedal in like the two first albums, then always relied on the amp's natural distortion.

danvortex said:

That's strictly for Kirk, not the rhythm which is 80%+ of the guitar on all of their albums. Kirk also likes to use Marshalls for his leads.

James used a pedal on Ride The Lightning and hated his tone - and is how they ended up moving to Boogie. He wanted enough preamp distortion to not need a pedal, and found that Kirk's little Mark IIc plugged into the power section of his Marshall head was exactly the sound.

Mark Fore said:
danyeo1 said:
You do realize that I'm going to make posts like this look silly when i get my Mark V right. I have owned about 4 Mark IV's and after playing the Mark V for an hour i know without a doubt it can do anything the IV, plus a lot more.

I'm betting that the V you played had an issue with it. The one i played had TONS of gain.

For both our sakes danyeo1, I hope we make a lot of these folks look silly or we will be the ones that look silly. :roll:

I'm definitely not worried though.

I just posted this in an other thread, but FWIW, I just got my combo today, I am all about metal (I least I think I am) and I have no problems dialing in a tight rhythum-not on regular tuning anyway. Ctuning I'm still working on. And of course the combo is c90 open back. I've got a v30 closed back to try it on still, and I can only think it'll be even better. And I haven't even drop my 34's in yet.

I think this amp can metal up the yingyang no problem-but I like metallica metal and good chuggin tight crispy rhythums and I think this amp can nail it. I'm not a fan of dual rectos. To me, the gain on this amp is much more pleasing. I hope to get some mic time in on my v30 and post a clip. But to me, it's not the sound of the amp that tells much, it's how it sits in the mix and I see huge metal mixing potential! But like I said in the other thread, I've never even tried any other marks, so I might be missing out, but I have no complaints (yet) on the V, although I've only had it for a couple of hours.

The V is truely an instrument, and I think you'll get what you want out of it providing you know it's limits-you've gotta watch that bass knob in channel 3. I've kept it around 9 oclock and the classic v on the sliders. Keeps things tight and tracking.

Has anyone even tried 34's in these yet?

Latest posts

Back