Let me hear the METAL!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufuss Sewell

Reaction score
I'm dying to own a Mark V. I'm in love with the metal tone I can get with my Mark IV but I can't stand the fact that I have to choose between a great metal tone and a great lead tone. Ch 2 is pretty much useless to me. The Mark V has gotten me all excited since I know I'll love the Mark I on channel 2 for leads. But as the clips come out for the Mark V I hear NO METAL!!!! What the hell? Somebody please crank the gain, treble, scoop the graphic EQ and palm mute the low E in each of the ch 3 modes. If you're going to play a riff give me something from ...And Justice For All. I just want to hear the punchy pick noise of a palm muted 80's thrash song.

I'm so excited to get the Mark V, but the utter lack of metal thus far is scaring me :/

P.S. I heard Gplay's "heavier" clips and they sound good, but it ain't metal.

Ive been waiting for that too!

But fear not as i have the feeling these clips are coming with the heads! (plugged to a nice 4X12)

+ One billion ! Haven't heard anything that makes me want to replace my 4. Someone out there prove to me that the 5 has a pair lol :p

rispsira said:
Ive been waiting for that too!

But fear not as i have the feeling these clips are coming with the heads! (plugged to a nice 4X12)

I think this is the issue. Most of the guys receiving the V so far have been combos, and a good bit of guys ordering combos aren't metal guys it seems.

I've been dying to hear the metal sounds as well! I have a MKV head on the way (last I heard it would be here by the end of this month). I'll definitely post some clips of me trying to imitate messers. Hetfield, Petrucci etc. if no one has already done so by then.

cheers!

That's cuz all the metalheads ordered heads and they haven't come in yet!! :twisted:

But, oh boy, beware the day they all come in. You want metal clips? I've got my rig aaaalllll set up for recording metal clips as soon as I get that sumbitch.

+1 here for metal tone!
I have a 2 x 12 recto cab ready to rock. I even ordered brand new pickups on my Ibanez just to make sure I can finally nail THE lead tone I am after...

I don't think you guys are going to be impressed with the V for "metal" tone.

I wasn't.

At the very least you are going to have to re-tube it with el34's before you can make the judgment.
The 6l6's are too dark sounding and are woofy played through a 4x12. They also don't have the bite
you get with 34's.

I love the "classic" mark sounds and have the ones "I" want covered already with my tri\2:90..mainly the
Mark 1 and the 2c+ lead tone which I love. (ld1 green and ld2 yellow for you tri owners). I also love the
cleans on both the Tri AND my new Mark IV and while the clean on the V is phenomenal it's wasn't enough
to warrant the purchase and I ended up buying the last new Mark IV short head they had for a nice discount
and still kept the 5 year warranty.

I WANTED to love the V and was just as jacked as everyone else was, believe me. But The lead channel both
in sound and layout (2c+,IV,Extreme all on the same channel) was a big letdown "to me" and was the deal breaker.

If you want and\or need a KILLER sounding clean AND a killer sounding Mark 1 lead sound (and it is awesome, trust me on that)
then get the V. If you want an amazing sounding "metal" amp then I think you need to look elsewhere. Once you play one for yourself
come back to this thread and let me know if you agree with me or not.

JohnDNJ said:

How do you know that?
You base your opinion on the 2 hours you had with a combo in a store?
Or on the 2-3 videos posted on YouTube ?

Nobody have heard a head on a recto cab yet, with a metal guitar, played by a metal guy who have taken the time to read the manual and dial the amp properly for that purpose.

No offense my friend but I think your affirmation still need to be proven.

Sorry but I am not convinced yet...

nicoroy123 said:
JohnDNJ said:

How do you know that?

Nobody have heard a head on a recto cab yet, with a metal guitar, played by a metal guy who have taken the time to read the manual and dial the amp properly for that purpose.

Agreed. It is still too early to make such alleged accusations. :) That sounded quite smart! :lol:

Combos and YouTube videos are no match for a head, dialed in, through a 4x12, played by someone who knows what they are doing!

It will be fine for Metal. It has two modes that are based off of the greatest metal amps of all time. Earmuffs gentlemen and fear not. We will have our day without all the naysayers in our path to crunch-tastic armageddonal riffage. I said GOOD DAY!

...and I think the original comment was aimed to mean that none of you guys that have them seem to be able to set them for a good metal tone... and you all have combos. Obviously, I would be concerned if I had not been playing Boogies for 25 years and used those video clips as a basis for the tonal possibilities of the Mark V. I am comfortable knowing they will sound incredible.

nicoroy123 said:
JohnDNJ said:

How do you know that?

Try about 5-6 hours, with loads of tweaking by both myself and another Mesa freak who owns or has had access 2c+, III, IV and a roadster.
We didnt play it AT ALL using the stock speaker. We used a 2x12 recto, a 4x12 large recto slant, a 4x12 recto straight (the smaller body one whatever its called).
As for guitars I used my JPM100P3 AND my 90th Anniv which I broke out just for the occasion as well as a EBMM Petrucci both the normal AND a BFR.
How much more metal do you want?

YOU let me know after you get your hands on one friend. I stand by my convictions and so did the people who were
standing around watching me and the others play test the IV and V side by side. The IV kicked it's *** for metal tones
and it was universally agreed on. Is the V more versatile? Absolutely. It's downright gorgeous in fact as I've stated
10 times already. If I didn't already own a Tri\2:90 I'd buy it in a heartbeat and look elsewhere for metal tone.

JohnDNJ said:
nicoroy123 said:
JohnDNJ said:

How do you know that?

Try about 5-6 hours, with loads of tweaking by both myself and another Mesa freak who owns or has had access 2c+, III, IV and a roadster.
We didnt play it AT ALL using the stock speaker. We used a 2x12 recto, a 4x12 large recto slant, a 4x12 recto straight (the smaller body one whatever its called).
As for guitars I used my JPM100P3 AND my 90th Anniv which I broke out just for the occasion as well as a EBMM Petrucci both the normal AND a BFR.
How much more metal do you want?

YOU let me know after you get your hands on one friend. I stand by my convictions and so did the people who were
standing around watching me and the others play test the IV and V side by side. The IV kicked it's *** for metal tones
and it was universally agreed on. Is the V more versatile? Absolutely. It's downright gorgeous in fact as I've stated
10 times already. If I didn't already own a Tri\2:90 I'd buy it in a heartbeat and look elsewhere for metal tone.

You do realize that I'm going to make posts like this look silly when i get my Mark V right. I have owned about 4 Mark IV's and after playing the Mark V for an hour i know without a doubt it can do anything the IV, plus a lot more.

I'm betting that the V you played had an issue with it. The one i played had TONS of gain.

danyeo1 said:
You do realize that I'm going to make posts like this look silly when i get my Mark V right. I have owned about 4 Mark IV's and after playing the Mark V for an hour i know without a doubt it can do anything the IV, plus a lot more.

I'm betting that the V you played had an issue with it. The one i played had TONS of gain.

For both our sakes danyeo1, I hope we make a lot of these folks look silly or we will be the ones that look silly. :roll:

I'm definitely not worried though.

danyeo1 said:

Best post ever!

There were no issues with it. The tubes were all fine...

I would love to get together with you when you do get your V and compare! :)
Seriously, let's get together along with jdruso who is also in central jersey and do a shootout. :)
If swapping out the 6l6's for 34's gives a killer metal sound without screwing up
the other stuff TOO much then you got a winner.

To "my" ears, the 2 el34's with 2 6l6's you can do on the IV (with all the other options of course)
is just killer and gives you the best of both world's without sacrificing too much of what makes either style
what it is. As far as I know you can't do that on the V, it's either one or the other and
if that is indeed the case then thats another flaw with the V. Your cleans will certainly suffer
with the 34's and the 6l6's just dont bite enough...this is a LONG standing issue\debate amongst boogie owners
I'm not just making that up!

As far as tubing the IV goes, Petrucci seems to think the same way..take a look at his rig photo's
off his website, they have a shot of his IV heads from the back and oh...whats that?
2 of each...and stock Mesa tubes to boot...That (along with my ears) is good enough for me to be
convinced. :)

As good as this debate is shaping up to be... we should hold off on further comments as one side will definitely end up with egg on their face. One fact remains; if the Mark V cannot do metal, I will be absurdly p*ssed. Again, I'm not worried though.

For those too lazy to bother looking:

Petrucci's Mark IV head from the back.

IMG_0891.jpg

I got my 1x12 Mark V a couple of days ago. I have an esp mk-ii and a epi les paul with ducan sh-6 pickups. I couldn't get the metal tone I was looking for. Yes part of it was the 1x12 but I also played it through a closed 2x12 (v30s). The cleans have awesome tone (playing through the emgs). I hate to admit it on this board, I took the Mark V back and got a roadster instead. I still have a bit of returner's remorse because the tone was great just not the metal riffing crunch I was looking for. I don't have a 4x12 so don't know what that would have sounded like, it just wasn't the metal sound I was looking for, could be for many others though, just not me. If I could afford both the roadster and the Mark V I'd keep them both, but I'm thinking if I just wanted great cleans I could probably get it in a cheaper amp. It really isn't a knock on the Mark V, the sounds are great just not my style. Its a very subjective subject after all, so you should judge it for yourself.

Latest posts

Back