KT77s or EL34s for my Roadster ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringer

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I own a Roadster head, using it with a 212 Recto cab.

I need a tighter, more singing kind of lead tone. I don't like the fuzzy sound of ch3 or ch4.
I'm about to try other power tubes than the TAD 6l6s, which are in the amp since I bought it.
so,

1. which is the better for me, to swap the power tubes to el34 or KT77?

2.If el34 is the better choice, which brand and model? siemens, JJ, Mullard, TAD, Svetlana, Tung-Sol?

3.The other question: since I'm located in Europe, I'm thinking about purchasing from Tube Amp Doctor (TAD).
Have you purchased from them ?

Thank you in advance, any input of yours would be appreciated!

Changing the preamp tubes will correct more fizz problems than power tubes. I use Tung Sol and JJ preamp and Siemens 34's, and fizz isn't a problem for me. The KT 77's are awesome, but will introduce a little more fizz, but nothing that can't be dialed out. The Mesa 6L6's are terrible, and I have yet to try different 6L6's so I won't speak about them. Hope this helps.

paytojt said:
Changing the preamp tubes will correct more fizz problems than power tubes. I use Tung Sol and JJ preamp and Siemens 34's, and fizz isn't a problem for me. The KT 77's are awesome, but will introduce a little more fizz, but nothing that can't be dialed out. The Mesa 6L6's are terrible, and I have yet to try different 6L6's so I won't speak about them. Hope this helps.

Hey dude, glad to see you are back! I assume you are married now and have another Roadster? :)

paytojt said:

Definitely agree, differences in power tubes really only manifest themselves when the amp is pushed hard I found (like gigging volumes, and a decent sized gig at that) - personally, I really like Shuguang 9th Gen preamp tubes, in a comparison I did awhile I ago I found having one in V1 sounded slightly less harsh than a Tung Sol and not as muffled as a JJ; however, I haven't found going from one good brand of preamp tube to another (as opposed to going from **** to great) makes much of a difference; they're just slightly different flavors, but the amp sound comes from the circuitry, tone stack, etc. Some might say you can tame fizz/fuzz by putting a lower gain tube in, but as far as I can tell that just tames fizz...by lowering the gain, which is also easily accomplished with the gain knob...

Thank you guys for the infos, now I'm thinking about swapping the preamp tubes too...... :lol:

I've posted questions about them in the tubes section of the board. Hey, after hours of reading about tubes, it looks like it's quite a complex task! :lol:

I don't like the Roadster with 6L6s at all. To me, it sounds hollow and lifeless. Started with 6L6s, went to EL-34s, and went back to 6L6s, thinking I missed them.

NO WAY! The amp is much more articulate, and A LOT fuller in the mids.

The EL-34s are 200% better in the Roadster. Definitely recommend you give it a try.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I don't like the Roadster with 6L6s at all. To me, it sounds hollow and lifeless. Started with 6L6s, went to EL-34s, and went back to 6L6s, thinking I missed them.

NO WAY! The amp is much more articulate, and A LOT fuller in the mids.

The EL-34s are 200% better in the Roadster. Definitely recommend you give it a try.

Yeah, thanks, I'll try them! I'm planning to buy a set of EL34 and a set of JJ KT77. I hope I'll able to swap them by myself, haven't opened an amp before...:)
What brand would you recommend for el34 ? JJ, EH, Mullard, Siemens,TAD?

Latest posts

Back