Just picked up my '92 DR #602

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_paul_gold_top

Reaction score
Hey guys - I've joined the DR ranks. Unfortunately I won't be able to play it until the weekend. Anybody out there use EL34 in these amps? This amp I'm told is RF-1E which I've never heard anyone (except the old owner Bunyok23) talk about -anybody else have one?

Tim

Congrats man! You have a pretty rare amp on your hands. The Rev. E is the rarest of the Rectifiers I think.

How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

it is not played much.besides i still have 4 amps. im actually selling my stilleto.

Gear-Monkey said:
Congrats! I was hoping you would buy bunyok23's pre1000. Rev E is the rarest Recto in existence since production.

It's rarity is in correlation to the errors on the circuit board. If it was extraordinary, it would have not have been phased out so quickly. The most plausible inference is that it is the original F circuit, but with mistakes in the circuit drawing. When I say "Drawing" it is literal. Randall Smith did them all by hand like an blue print architectural drawing. Basing it's rarity on the fact that it is flawed is not going to help the reputation of the amp. I am sure it holds it's own in the DR lineage on it's own sonic merit.

Boogiebabies said:
Gear-Monkey said:
Congrats! I was hoping you would buy bunyok23's pre1000. Rev E is the rarest Recto in existence since production.

It's rarity is in correlation to the errors on the circuit board. If it was extraordinary, it would have not have been phased out so quickly. The most plausible inference is that it is the original F circuit, but with mistakes in the circuit drawing. When I say "Drawing" it is literal. Randall Smith did them all by hand like an blue print architectural drawing. Basing it's rarity on the fact that it is flawed is not going to help the reputation of the amp. I am sure it holds it's own in the DR lineage on it's own sonic merit.

Hey BB, I'm feel honored to have just purchased "Randall's Mistake" -thanks for your inferences.

les_paul_gold_top said:
Boogiebabies said:
Gear-Monkey said:

Hey BB, I'm feel honored to have just purchased "Randall's Mistake" -thanks for your inferences.

No problem. A lot of us have purchased many of Randall's mistakes. Until someone sits down and blueprints revisions C-E all we can do is make an inference as to it's purpose. And remember, it does not require a huge change in a circuit drawing to make it another revision. It may have been as small as one change. It's just a way to keep track of what you did, and in the future, what you are working on.

Not really mistakes ... does the amp not work or something?? :?

He obviously just found some other way of doing it and liked that enough at the time to make it the way it should be in production... till he came across the next one of course...

and if any recto revision is to be considered a mistake, then a lot of other companies will burn in deepest hell for the sins that are their entire product range :lol:

i had that amp for about 2 hours.
i bought it, and the day i got it, opened it up, made sure it worked, then sold it to the guy this thread starter bought it from.

i already spent the money on something else and needed to get rid of it quickly. i should have held on for a bit.

he made a nice chunk of change from me :lol:

TheSon said:

He obviously just found some other way of doing it and liked that enough at the time to make it the way it should be in production... till he came across the next one of course...

and if any recto revision is to be considered a mistake, then a lot of other companies will burn in deepest hell for the sins that are their entire product range :lol:

The mistakes are forgetting to draw a circuit path and having to connect it point to point. No one said they could not make it work, but it is a mistake regardless. We are not bashing any revision, but we are pointing out the obvious.
If you want mistakes that cause malfunctions, just look at the first four revisions and three service bulletins for the RK 1. Arcing traces, channels dropping out until a full transistor upgrade and bad pentode/triode switches.
Owning one was such an inconvenience, someone should burn in hell for that.

Boogiebabies said:
TheSon said:

The mistakes are forgetting to draw a circuit path and having to connect it point to point. No one said they could not make it work, but it is a mistake regardless. We are not bashing any revision, but we are pointing out the obvious.
If you want mistakes that cause malfunctions, just look at the first four revisions and three service bulletins for the RK 1. Arcing traces, channels dropping out until a full transistor upgrade and bad pentode/triode switches.

Are you saying that Rev E are in the shop more than being played? I haven't found any complaints about a Rev E failing.

Gear-Monkey said:
Boogiebabies said:
TheSon said:

Are you saying that Rev E are in the shop more than being played? I haven't found any complaints about a Rev E failing.

Nah I don't think he is saying that - it appears to me that when the electrical layout was done on this new revision E, someone forgot to include a few contacts on the board - they probably ordered a few hundred or so - when they got them in it was an "oh ****" deal - hey you forgot to include "these" on the board - we'll just have to wire them by hand or PtP. It was more labor and probably a pain in the arse for the assemblers. If thats it I have a semi PtP amp - albiet small PtP!

Gear-Monkey said:
Boogiebabies said:
TheSon said:

Nah I don't think he is saying that - it appears to me that when the electrical layout was done on this new revision E, someone forgot to include a few contacts on the board - they probably ordered a few hundred or so - when they got them in it was an "oh ****" deal - hey you forgot to include "these" on the board - we'll just have to wire them by hand or PtP. It was more labor and probably a pain in the arse for the assemblers. If thats it I have a semi PtP amp - albiet small PtP!

Gear-Monkey said:
Boogiebabies said:
TheSon said:

Please re-read the post. You are in such a pot stirring, **** slinging frame of mind you do not get what I am saying. To surmise, I said the Rev. E is fine. If you want real mistakes, the amp riddled with issues was RK 1. Am I wrong it telling the truth, or does it offend you because you are going to start a pre-500 Road King marketing campaign ?

les_paul_gold_top said:
Gear-Monkey said:
Boogiebabies said:

Nah I don't think he is saying that - it appears to me that when the electrical layout was done on this new revision E, someone forgot to include a few contacts on the board - they probably ordered a few hundred or so - when they got them in it was an "oh sh!t" deal - hey you forgot to include "these" on the board - we'll just have to wire them by hand or PtP. It was more labor and probably a pain in the arse for the assemblers. If thats it I have a semi PtP amp - albiet small PtP!

Exactly.

Like the C and D, the E revision is another small batch of the least produced Dual Rectifiers. It is unique within it's own right.

Boogiebabies said:
Gear-Monkey said:
Boogiebabies said:

Please re-read the post. You are in such a pot stirring, sh!t slinging frame of mind you do not get what I am saying. To surmise, I said the Rev. E is fine. If you want real mistakes, the amp riddled with issues was RK 1. Am I wrong it telling the truth, or does it offend you because you are going to start a pre-500 Road King marketing campaign ?

Nice! Throwing these immature jabs really shows your class and character. Sorry if my question offended you.. perhaps you should relax a bit instead of getting so uptight over conversations going on from across the internet. Maybe you should take a break.

Please keep the thread civil instead of throwing immature jabs. thx!

Carry on.

Gear-Monkey said:
Boogiebabies said:
Gear-Monkey said:

Please re-read the post. You are in such a pot stirring, sh!t slinging frame of mind you do not get what I am saying. To surmise, I said the Rev. E is fine. If you want real mistakes, the amp riddled with issues was RK 1. Am I wrong it telling the truth, or does it offend you because you are going to start a pre-500 Road King marketing campaign ?

Nice! Throwing these immature jabs really shows your class and character. Sorry if my question offended you.. perhaps you should relax a bit instead of getting so uptight over conversations going on from across the internet. Maybe you should take a break.

Please keep the thread civil instead of throwing immature jabs. thx!

Carry on.

I'm sorry the truth hurts. I have no class and I have no character, but I will relax though knowing I am not the Don King of the Boogie Board.

Boogiebabies said:
I'm sorry the truth hurts. I have no class and I have no character, but I will relax though knowing I am not the Don King of the Boogie Board.

And I'm sorry that I have no clue what you're talking about. I asked a simple question in regards to your comment. I'm not sure why you are being so defensive over it.

You suddenly brought in pre500s(?) road kings(?) and something about hurting my feelings because of the truth hurting or something another. I truly am lost. lol.

This is the Rev. E thread, right :?:

Back