Just picked up my 3rd Mark V - my adventure comes to an end.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mesa did a great job in selecting the tubes for the V. I like them when they get a little "old" they loose some of the brittle tone. I have only changed 1 preamp tube for micro phonics and 2 sets of power tubes in 3 years. love it...

boogieman60 said:
I think Mesa did a great job in selecting the tubes for the V. I like them when they get a little "old" they loose some of the brittle tone. I have only changed 1 preamp tube for micro phonics and 2 sets of power tubes in 3 years. love it...

+1

The Mark V is still my favorite amp, still bummed about selling mine but my Stiletto Deuce is getting me by.

+1 on the traditional cabs, it's a HUGE improvement to that amp, it just fits the natural tone of the amp perfectly

+1 on the V (and Mesas in general) being very responsive to different guitars/pickups/woods. That has always been my main beef with 5150's (or 6505's) in general; no matter the generation; the tone is always so colored, the different wood types and often the kind of pickups don't really translate. They always sounded a little too processed to my ears. I see why people dig them, but it's not my thing at all. I want to keep my guitar's character/personal identity intact.

screamingdaisy said:
I like the tube rectifier on the clean channel. Adds some nice bounce that it doesn't have on diode.
How is the headroom running it at 45 watt? I usually always run 90.

DWAKO said:
The Mark V is still my favorite amp, still bummed about selling mine but my Stiletto Deuce is getting me by.

+1 on the traditional cabs, it's a HUGE improvement to that amp, it just fits the natural tone of the amp perfectly

+1 on the V (and Mesas in general) being very responsive to different guitars/pickups/woods. That has always been my main beef with 5150's (or 6505's) in general; no matter the generation; the tone is always so colored, the different wood types and often the kind of pickups don't really translate. They always sounded a little too processed to my ears. I see why people dig them, but it's not my thing at all. I want to keep my guitar's character/personal identity intact.

why did you get rid of your Mark V as well as the RA100?

I had my V first and really liked it, but being a previous Electra Dyne owner the RA sparked my interest. So I found a guy who was selling his RA and was interested in my V. So we swapped because everything I had heard was awesome. I had the RA for a few months and I really liked it, but I still missed the tightness and response of the V. Both amps are great in their own right, but two different sounds, I found myself boosting the RA to get the gain tone I loved and i missed the presence control, where the Mark V did everything I wanted, no pedals needed. So I contacted the guy and we traded back. But then my wife needed dental surgery so I sold the V to cover costs to avoid putting in on a credit card. I played the Stiletto and really liked it, for the price I couldn't turn it down. If at all possible I would like to have both a RA and Mark V again.

DWAKO said:

I had my V first and really liked it, but being a previous Electra Dyne owner the RA sparked my interest. So I found a guy who was selling his RA and was interested in my V. So we swapped because everything I had heard was awesome. I had the RA for a few months and I really liked it, but I still missed the tightness and response of the V. Both amps are great in their own right, but two different sounds, I found myself boosting the RA to get the gain tone I loved and i missed the presence control, where the Mark V did everything I wanted, no pedals needed. So I contacted the guy and we traded back. But then my wife needed dental surgery so I sold the V to cover costs to avoid putting in on a credit card. I played the Stiletto and really liked it, for the price I couldn't turn it down. If at all possible I would like to have both a RA and Mark V again.

That's a bummer but totally understandable especially with family circumstances arises.

Keep us posted when you get back your V or RA!

cradlefish said:
I had the RA for a few months and I really liked it, but I still missed the tightness and response of the V.

^ this - I actually bought an RA-100 to go with my Mark V for mostly studio (as the Mark V is my main amp) - I tracked my guitars for my bands new CD, went to do overdubs with the RA.. nope.. I do a lot of muting, and while it killed for the open chord/strummed stuff.. I need the tightness and response of a Mark.. so I ended up using my Mark V for everything..

I've also since this last post, ditched the EVH guitars - and went with a ESP Snakebyte and a EBMM JP XII - man, talk about guitars that are made for Mark amps.

exbest182 said:
cradlefish said:
I had the RA for a few months and I really liked it, but I still missed the tightness and response of the V.

I've also since this last post, ditched the EVH guitars - and went with a ESP Snakebyte and a EBMM JP XII - man, talk about guitars that are made for Mark amps.

I agree the EBMM are made for those amps. I had a JPX but it had a roasted maple neck and was too bright so I took it back. Sounded great low volume but the maple and ebony were just too much when your used to Les Pauls. Wouldnt mind a JP13 :D

exbest182 said:
Ive decided to just add another mark to my rig, probably a iii unless I can track down a iic+

the jp xii is great

FYI I am going to be selling my IIC+. Its a great amp but it does not have a graffic EQ. This is said to be what they designed the MK V C+ after. I love the amp but never use it since I wont take it outside the studio :lol:

bdubbs said:
screamingdaisy said:
I like the tube rectifier on the clean channel. Adds some nice bounce that it doesn't have on diode.
How is the headroom running it at 45 watt? I usually always run 90.

Good for me, but I don't like my cleans to be too clean, if you catch my drift. :)

Hey DWAKO i'm thinkin' of making the switchto a RKII.... but after all i've read i don't know any more. so F'!?n' confused. any advice. should i just stick with my V??? anf te hell with the King ...thanks man Rock on... :roll:

When it comes to guitars and amps I never regretted NOT selling a guitar or amp. Words from my father "Always buy, never sell". Over the years I have had many occasions when having conversation with another musician in my house and having the ability to go dig into a closet and pull out a guitar I bought back in 1980 is the coolest feeling. Then later after they leave I'll clean it up. Throw a new set of strings on it and play it. Maybe take it to a job and play a set or two on it. Glory Days!!! Remember when I bought it, some of the places that I played it. I have one guitar I played all around the world, repainted 10 times, rebuilt a few times and it still plays very well. I have stopped selling amps or guitars I don't use. I put the guitar in its' case or I put the cover on the amp and keep them at the ready in case I get the urge to use one at a job or I'm looking for a tone when recording. Hang onto them, in a few years, to you they will be priceless.

Latest posts

Back