Just picked up my 3rd Mark V - my adventure comes to an end.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well first off..

that was a big pain in the ***, ive never had such a hard time getting the preamp tubes changed... The tip of my tung-sol ended up breaking off when I tried to get the little tube cover back on in V1... so can't comment on how it sounds :( I ended up putting the mullard in v1, the ruby in v2, and then sovtek in v7... I like the Mullard in v1, feels like its warmed up the amp a tad, but it feels tamed a bit... i'll report better when I get a chance to turn it up, very bummed about breaking the Tung though.

exbest182 said:
mule#1 said:
I like 6L6 better in this amp!

I do as well, I haven't like EL34s in any Marks.. Mike B. also agreed with that.. I used Doug's preamp kit in my IIC+ with Mesa power tubes and it sounded great.. I'm going to swap some of them out eventually, but it's not top on my priority list...

+1 on that! I have actually taken the chassis out to replace my V1 tube when it went micro phonic on me.

mule#1 said:
+1 on that! I have actually taken the chassis out to replace my V1 tube when it went micro phonic on me.

Got my new Tung Sol from Doug today... I have to say.. I like this combo, a lot... I live mostly on channel 3, so the tung sol did up and brighten it up (almost a little too much) - i think having the mullard in v3 evened it out.. because it is sounding killer right now...

First notice is my amp is super quiet... not that it wasn't quiet before, even more so now..

Another thing, I had to re-eq every channel.. weirdly, the tube change with my current settings came out a little woofy, dialed it out with 80hz slider... It's not exactly where i want it, but when i have some more time I'm going to play with it more... I have a newborn at home, so dialing it in for band volume isn't doable 98% of the time..

Also, with a HG tube in V2, channel 2 def is pushed further, and is more aggressive.. I like it a lot.

More to come...

So

V1 - TS Reissue
V2 - Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG
V3 - Mullard RI
V4 - V6 - Stock Mesa 12ax7
V7 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS - w/balanced triodes

I dig it a lot.

Nice! You have to post clips when your 2% shot comes along :lol: Been there done that! I'd like to hear it.

so.. I hate a snag, and I think I'm going to put stock tubes back in v1 and v3... I'm getting some low end flub, on only one guitar (but its my main guitar) that I can't dial out.. muting on my low e sounds like utter crap, I didn't have it when it was the mullard in v1, and dont have it stock.. so it's either the TS, or the combination of V1 and V3 tubes... maybe i'll put the mullard in v1, but i think i'm going to go back to stock, minus v2 and probably v7... i have a feeling i have a 2nd amp coming soon that i can utilize these tubes in better...

and weirdly, i had the same issue, with the same guitar in my 5150 iii 50w, with the same tubes...

Yo be honest since I've had the MK V I havent had a need to change tubes. I had a low end flub problem and I think you will find it's the reason your having an issue. I think I read you were using an over sized 4x12. I just bought a traditional 4x12 and it's the best tone improvement I could have made. Major difference in tight low end. And tone!!!!!!!! Unbelievable how different they are. he videos on line don't do the comparison justice. I should do one.

mule#1 said:
I had a low end flub problem and I think you will find it's the reason your having an issue. I think I read you were using an over sized 4x12.

Well, I had the same issue with a 5150 iii 50w and matching 2x12 - with the same guitar - and same preamp tubes - but it was only that guitar... I totally agree on the traditional cabs though.. i need to grab one eventually..

exbest182 said:
so.. I hate a snag, and I think I'm going to put stock tubes back in v1 and v3... I'm getting some low end flub, on only one guitar (but its my main guitar) that I can't dial out.. muting on my low e sounds like utter crap, I didn't have it when it was the mullard in v1, and dont have it stock.. so it's either the TS, or the combination of V1 and V3 tubes... maybe i'll put the mullard in v1, but i think i'm going to go back to stock, minus v2 and probably v7... i have a feeling i have a 2nd amp coming soon that i can utilize these tubes in better...

and weirdly, i had the same issue, with the same guitar in my 5150 iii 50w, with the same tubes...

The low-end flub from my experience lies more with your power tubes and possibly the rectifier you have as well. I changed all my tubes but I heard a big difference in tightening up the sound of the mark V with different brands like winged c, jj and NOS like Siemens. I would suggest you look into changing the rectifier as well with a NOS. NOS rectifier tubes will last forever.

Well, I think I'm happy with my layout - done all sorts of swapping and rolling - between the TS, Mullard and Mesa in V1 and V3..

I use 2 guitars mostly - both EVH Wolfgang models - one being a standard model - which is basswood body, maple cap, maple neck with ebony board and then a wolfgang custom which is essentially a wolfgang style les paul - all mahogany/set neck, etc...

The TS in v1 was just wayyy to harsh with the basswood model... I couldn't dial it out, and it seemed thin.. however, I loved it with the wolfgang custom.
After playing with the Mullard and TS I went back to all Mesa stock tubes - and while it was kinder to the basswood wolfgang, there was an obvious improvement in tone with either of the other tubes in v1
I tried the Mullard in v1, and a Mesa stock in v3 - and it was a little too dark..
So the combo ended up being the Mullard in V1 and the TS in V3 - the basswood model is still way brighter, and just meaner sounding overall... but it sounds sweet like it should - and then being able to just adjust my eq a tad, and essentially keep my settings the same with the other wolfgang.

One thing I noticed is how picky these tubes are with guitars - my example is the with my 5150 III, despite the wood differences, how pickups are mounted, etc... My 2 guitars sounded almost identical through that amp - where as the Mark V tells it like it is... the basswood model is brighter and tighter, more aggressive - the custom mahogany model is warmer, and smoother and doesn't have near the gain... the 5150 III, it wasn't much difference at all.... it was majority amp, and not so much guitar... where it's a good match here...

Very interesting! I agree the MK V shows the true sonic character of the wood. I just bought a Music Man John Petrucci JPX with a Mahogany tone block, Alder wings, Roasted Maple board and Ebony fretboard. I an a Gibson guy but couldn't believe the tone difference the amp showed!

cradlefish said:
exbest182 said:

The low-end flub from my experience lies more with your power tubes and possibly the rectifier you have as well. I changed all my tubes but I heard a big difference in tightening up the sound of the mark V with different brands like winged c, jj and NOS like Siemens. I would suggest you look into changing the rectifier as well with a NOS. NOS rectifier tubes will last forever.

Of all the customers I've talked to here in Customer Service - the majority say the flub started with a power tube change, and when they went back to stock the tight lows came back. Also, if you experience any low-end flub, I wouldn't be using Tube Rectification, but instead use the Silicone Diode mode.

Authorized Boogie said:
Of all the customers I've talked to here in Customer Service - the majority say the flub started with a power tube change, and when they went back to stock the tight lows came back. Also, if you experience any low-end flub, I wouldn't be using Tube Rectification, but instead use the Silicone Diode mode.

I quite enjoy the stock power tubes - I like the preamp tubes as well, its weird, it's more so the characteristics of the guitars I'm using that made me check some alternate preamp tubes out - my basswood guitar was just too harsh, and the mullard tamed some of the harshness, and really helped out.. I think if I were still using my old Les Pauls and such, I wouldn't have had a need as I loved the stock tubes with les pauls, and mahogany guitars... love the Mark V though.. by far my favorite production amp...

Authorized Boogie said:
cradlefish said:
exbest182 said:

I agree with the power tube change. The history of the Mark series did not have rectifiers in them. This is the first time they have it with one I believe and wish they didn't. I don't use the rectifier mode, but i did change the tube regardless and it does make a difference. The sag and feel is different from the stock one. The way how the power tubes were produced during the time the mark iv were made are different than the power tubes currently being made that the mark v uses. I believe the quality were better made during the time of production of the mark iv. This is my opinion, no pun intended. It is what it is as they say.

I think if i didn't make the tube change for the V as soon as got the amp, i may have gotten rid of it prematurely because it didn't sound as soon as my mark iv initially. Now they are both keepers.

I have to say I like the stock tubes and the rectifier that was added. However the great thing hear is tone is subjective! look at the difference in guitars we all use. I really feel Mesa got this one right! The fact you can change tubes around easily only makes it better. Look at how we all sought after the 415's for our IIC+ or the 420's for our MK IV's because the amp was designed around those tubes. I think the MK V is very similar from a power section perspective and with the MK V. And if you get a tone you like better with =C='s than that's awesome too! I just actually like all the stock tubes.

I think if i didn't make the tube change for the V as soon as got the amp, i may have gotten rid of it prematurely because it didn't sound as soon as my mark iv initially.

+1

I could never dial-in the V to my liking until I performed some preamp tube rolling.I replaced some of the stock Mesa/JJ's with a mix of current and NOS tubes and it made a big difference - it was like a blanket was lifted off of the speaker - better dynamics, more chime, and less compression after the change.

cradlefish said:
I agree with the power tube change. The history of the Mark series did not have rectifiers in them. This is the first time they have it with one I believe and wish they didn't. I don't use the rectifier mode, but i did change the tube regardless and it does make a difference. The sag and feel is different from the stock one. The way how the power tubes were produced during the time the mark iv were made are different than the power tubes currently being made that the mark v uses. I believe the quality were better made during the time of production of the mark iv. This is my opinion, no pun intended. It is what it is as they say.

I think if i didn't make the tube change for the V as soon as got the amp, i may have gotten rid of it prematurely because it didn't sound as soon as my mark iv initially. Now they are both keepers.

The rectifier was added for use of the 10 watt mode (which defaults to tube rectifier). If you have the amp on 45 watts (set to silicone Diode) or 90 watts (defaults to silicone diode), the tube rectifier is not used at all and will have zero impact on tone (again, other than the 10 watt mode).

Latest posts

Back