Issues with Triple Rec. + Rack setup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamTXBK

Reaction score
hey guys. first post! wooop!
anyways, I'm just finishing up my first head/rack setup. I'm running a 3 ch. Triple rec, with a Korg DTR 2000, ISP Pro Rack G (with ground lifts), G Major, GCX, Ground Control Pro, a Monster 2500 power conditioner, and a Sennheiser wireless (which isnt hooked up at the moment). It's all house in a custom roadcase. Here's the issue... Everything is working great, EXCEPT. I'm getting popping noises when changing channels on the Mesa; and it happens EVERY time, not just the usual first couple times. Also, I'm getting a slight hum in the FX loop on the distorted channels. Everything is wired with short, custom Planet Wave cables. I've checked most of them and they dont seem to be the problem. the G Major and ISP are both in the loop (with the mix to 100% and Send around 12:00). I've messed around with the ground lifts on the ISP and they dont change anything. I'm stuck!! Thanks for any help.

i'm only getting the buzz (and its very slight) when i'm using something in the FX loop. the only things that are in the FX loop are the Decimator's 2nd channel, and the G Major. I also bypass the G Major when its not in use, while the Decimator is always active. I'll have to double check the cables. It could be the jumper between the two loops that the ISP and G Major are in. I'm still not sure why I'm getting pops on channel switching tho...

adamTXBK said:
...It's all house in a custom roadcase...

Try isolating all the rack pieces from eachother as well as from the rack rails. Even with the ISP's ground lifts (which only affect signal ground) you can still get groundloops thru the chassis and rack rails. Pay particular attention to the Korg tuner...while they are great tuners, I have had ground noise problems with them in the past. Nylon or rubber washers on the rack screws, and a piece of cardboard or thin foam between components (dont block any vent openings!) can work wonders.

As for the popping, try isolating the GCX from rack ground as well.

what I did before I installed anything, was cover the under front of the rails with electrical tape. Also all of the units have rubber or nylon washers on the front. I still can't find the problem. The buzzing is most noticable on Ch. 2 of the Decimator. I'll have to mess with is some more, but I tried just putting a straight jumper connecting the Send and Return on the amp and there was still a bit of noise. Could it be the FX loop it self? I can't seem to get the Solo to switch on either. anyone know whether the GCX should be just set to a normal switch? or Momentary?

The effects loop driver tube maybe? I know it's a shot in the dark, but it might work.

You could also try opening up the chassis and checking the connection to the pot. When I had a 3 channel, I had an issue where the connector wasn't seated properly and the effects loop wouldn't work right. That might explain the solo function not working.

Hmm you also wanna make sure your amp is NOT being powered to your power conditioner (if you're using one). A live sound tech at one of my band's last gigs told me to keep my Roadster head on a separate power source to reduce hum & noise. Did that and it helped reduce noise quite a bit. Dunno about the channel popping though, sorry man!

I just recently changed all the pre-amp tubes, so I doubt the FX driver is causing that, but I'll check. The other thing I noticed that's strange, when the Solo jack has my switching cable plugged in to it, it's like it's stuck on! I know this because nothing changes when I turn on/off its loop on the GCX; also I can turn up the overall volume with both the Output AND Solo controls. So it's functioning, but for whatever reason I can't turn it off. As of now all the channel switching loops are plugged into Out (normally open) and are all setup as normal non-momentary switches. I've tried experimenting and still no success.
The whole point of running a power conditioner is to remove hum. My Monster is a little different than most tho, it has isolated filters, so my amp is running in a different "channel" than the other units. Most power conditioners just have one filter for all of its outlets.
Thanks for the advice guys.

I asked on the HRI boards as well, apparently when you set a Recto to 'Loop On' it bypasses the Solo feature? maybe this is why I'm having trouble with that. I'm still puzzled about the buzzing in my ISP tho. I'm gonna try again to just put a straight jumper, as well as directly plug CH 2 of the ISP straight into the Mesa and see what results I have.

adamTXBK said:
I asked on the HRI boards as well, apparently when you set a Recto to 'Loop On' it bypasses the Solo feature? maybe this is why I'm having trouble with that. I'm still puzzled about the buzzing in my ISP tho. I'm gonna try again to just put a straight jumper, as well as directly plug CH 2 of the ISP straight into the Mesa and see what results I have.

no, if you have the loop bypassed, it also bypasses the solo/master controls

here's a pic of everything
guitarrig001.jpg

i love your setup man. i will get a rig like this someday. i really like the way the roadcase is head on top.

the popping isnt really that big of a deal anyway. thanks man. I wanted it on top cause I wanted it to be easy to make adjustments while playing a show. It's kind of a pain having it in the bottom.

try running the amp without anything in the loop just guitar into the head into the cab if you still have problems than check those cables... if you dont add each piece at a time till you find out whats causing the problem... the poping always happens at bedroom levels while the amps still cold if you turn up the vol it stops or if you let the amp heat up longer in standby it normally doesnt happen ...

i actually still have a hum in my system after adding the decimator to my rig, prior i was running two boss ns-2s thru the front, so right now im running the one channel of the decimator thru the loop after all my processors and then the other channel at the end of my pedal chain right before the decimator in my pedal chain is one ns-2 which cuts the hum completely ...

so id go and def try pickin up a ns-2 for sum reason it cuts out the hum...

I plugged the Decimator 2nd channel direct into the FX loop, and the buzzing is still there. I also tried moving around the adapters, and same problem... I made pretty sure to isolate the units as best I could, so I dunno what the deal is.

Adam,
I have a very similar setup as yours and coincidentally am going thru the same exact problem. STOP what you're doing immediately and contact Mesa! There is some information about using the GCX and the external switching jacks you should know before proceeding. This is what they told me when my Dual Rec went down. I'm waiting for it to be repaired so I can call again to find out that exact information.When I went to change channels using 5-8 of the GCX it would not turn off the previous channel(s) and I supposing this eventually fried something in the switching mechanism. Here's a pic just b4 the Voodoo Lab GC Pro and GCX. As soon as I can get mine repaired and back up, I'll post that info. Another alternative is the Access Electronics CFX4 with the 3 channel custom cable. Using this device frees up the loops in your GCX for more effects by using the "MIDI out".
TheDog2resizedasgif.gif

Adam, By the way that's a nice rig you have there!
I contacted Mesa today about the external switching jacks after giving the go ahead to my local repair shop to fix the Dual Rec. So now I await their call back. I will make it a point to try and find out all that is involved in switching channels of the Rec using external controllers (MIDI). When I spoke with Rich at Mesa (tech) last time, he had made mention of a grounding issue using these jacks. As soon as I can find this info out, I will post it!

Mesa called back yesterday concerning my question. They said that there was no grounding issue with the external jacks, no certain type of cable ie. guitar/shielded-unshielded,speaker etc was needed. Regular guitar cable was fine and to contact Voodoo Lab about properly setting up momentary-latching type switch types with the GC Pro. For any GC Pro/GCX users, again I will post whatever info that is passed along to me in the hopes that someone else can avoid the amp repairs that I am now going thru.

I've got no troubles with my switching. Everything works fine. the only thing I can't get to work is the Solo function on the Mesa. Whenever there's a cable plugged into the 'Solo' switching jack, it automatically engaged. whether that loop on the GCX is engaged or not, or set to Momentary or Normal.

Latest posts

Back