I need some advice....some help, from all the mesa gurus!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And put the delay in the the loop?

Having a delay in the loop and a delay in front will give you two different effects when using distortion. I imagine its similar for chorus, etc. Most people probably prefer these "time based effects" in the loop because its cleaner/studio sounding (and what most manufacturers suggest).

Its been a while since I used one, but a delay in the loop will be "clean". Your bends will sound "normal". But you can't do this "distorted delayed bend" thang (I can't describe it well). But if you heard/played it you would know what I'm talking about. Adam Jones does this as do many guitarist.

Essentially with the delay in front, your clean bend is being repeated into a distorted amp vs a distorted bend being repeated in a clean effects loop. The two produce different results when used with distortion, most noticeably with bends.

With a clean tone you're not going to notice much difference between effects in a loop or in front (unless its a parallel loop and blended with dry signal).

There may be some situations where you want both, a "clean sounding" studio-like loop delay, or a front delay for a specific effect.

Mr_You said:
For me, digital effects are good for improving an already crappy tone. If you have a quality analog tube amp then digital effects can really suck the tone and feel.

I personally am not considering anything more than an analog delay pedal, wah, and univibe in front of my Roadster.

I disagree to a certain extent.... analog pedals do sound best but you can find some great digital effects out there that sound just as good though they may cost you a lot of $$$..... plus analog pedals are one trick ponies... to do very complex effects with pedals you'd need a 4'x8' piece of plywood full of them.... on the other hand with something like an Axe-Fx or some other high end, high money unit you can blow away a full arsenal of pedals and have it be much easier to use and control.... i guess keep in mind i'm an fx addict but a tasteful one.... maybe for someone who just uses a little delay, reverb, and wah here and there something like an axe-fx is overkill but for someone who needs a lot of different types and an easy way to run them, change the oders to experiement, and then finally save it in one patch, a unit like an axe-fx or even the G-Major or G-System is the way to go

jdurso said:
i would actually go with a RJM Amp Gizmo instead of the Axess unit.... the Amp Gizmo has 8 controls... 4 four your channels... 4 for your functions (solo, reverb, etc.)..... they also sell a cable that is specially made for the roadster to utilize it's footswitch input... so basically you hook up one end of this cable to the appropriate jacks on the amp gizmo and the other in the footswitch input on the roadster..... you hook up your midi out on your controller to the midi in on the amp gizmo.... then you hook up the midi out on your amp gizmo to the midi in on the gmajor..... its really easy and a lot less wires going around then other suggestions so far.... very very very simple to program as well .... basically you hit the button that writes the patch... press the buttons on the front that go with each channel/function and hit save and your done.... it'll use the message from the midi controller to store those settings as well as the patch your on, on the gmajor..... hope that helps.... did i mention the amp gizmo is cheaper?? :wink:

Dude:

This sounds like more than perfect...but the problem is amp gizmo is sold out as of now. How much did u pay for it...this is like exactly what I am looking for. Was it hard to program the midi board with this setup?

domct203 said:
Here is how I control my Roadster. I use the Axess CFX4 to control channels 1-4, and the G-Major to switch the FX Loop and Solo. I called MESA about the G-Majors relays and was told it would be OK for the Loop and Solo switching only. So far it works flawlessly. I have the FX Loop switched out for my basic (dry) tone, and use the G-Major to switch in the FX Loop (or Solo boost) when I call up a patch for effects. I use the Behringer FCB1010 to control everything. It will even switch the Solo Boost on and off regardless of the FX Loop. Great for fills and harmonics with my dry tone.

Dom

Hey does axess makes a special cable for roadster? I didnt see that in their website...was it hard to set it up? how did u connect the cables? how hard was it to program the midi? I know gmajor can change channels. Doesnt mesa recommend to use gmajor to change channels?

I just got the GMAJOR over the weekend...untill now I have been pretty satisfied with it. Seems like a nifty piece of equipment, used properly you can do alot.

vertigo_ said:
domct203 said:
Here is how I control my Roadster. I use the Axess CFX4 to control channels 1-4, and the G-Major to switch the FX Loop and Solo. I called MESA about the G-Majors relays and was told it would be OK for the Loop and Solo switching only. So far it works flawlessly. I have the FX Loop switched out for my basic (dry) tone, and use the G-Major to switch in the FX Loop (or Solo boost) when I call up a patch for effects. I use the Behringer FCB1010 to control everything. It will even switch the Solo Boost on and off regardless of the FX Loop. Great for fills and harmonics with my dry tone.

Dom

Hey does axess makes a special cable for roadster? I didnt see that in their website...was it hard to set it up? how did u connect the cables? how hard was it to program the midi? I know gmajor can change channels. Doesnt mesa recommend to use gmajor to change channels?

Axess does not yet have a special cable. I use the 1/4 jacks.
Mesa Recommends an isolated switcher for the channels, that's why I use the CFX4. The G-Major has common ground relays, so I use them for the Loop and Solo trigger only.

If you have used MIDI before, the CFX4 is a snap to set up, at least it was for me. If you get in a bind, you can always contact Mario at Axess.

Dom

domct203 said:
vertigo_ said:
domct203 said:

Dom

Axess does not yet have a special cable. I use the 1/4 jacks.
Mesa Recommends an isolated switcher for the channels, that's why I use the CFX4. The G-Major has common ground relays, so I use them for the Loop and Solo trigger only.

If you have used MIDI before, the CFX4 is a snap to set up, at least it was for me. If you get in a bind, you can always contact Mario at Axess.

Dom

So if I go the cfx4 route, I will have wires all around me but easy to setup and great cs from Mario. And if I go the amp gizmo route, I will have one wire to setup, good cs, and easy setup. But the problem is amp gizmo is currently sold out and they are coming out with a new version this september. I guess for now I will just use wah, whammy, and delay. Keep it simple and just focus on the tone of roadster.

BTW anyone selling a used amp gizmo?

Latest posts

Back