I know it's sacrilige: wireless recommendation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless Rocks

Reaction score
Some of you guys are gonna howl at this but I'm back in a situation (large stages) where I must use a wireless. Any ideas. What have you seen JP and other big timers use? I have hated each of the several I've previously used, mainly because a good humbucker overloads the input of the transmitter. My fenders w/ EMG's work acceptably well. Also getting the same signal level back out of the receiver as a straight cord is the other issue barring of course the tone loss.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0406_ShureSLX.php

the review stresses the improvement made by wireless systems in the last years...

Thanks, ytse_jam, The SLX is the one I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on. Was just wondering if any of the regulars here have actually used one. All the manufacturers reviews of course claim theirs is perfect in every way but real on stage use sometimes turns out to be the test.

This is the one part of the guitar chain you don't want to skip or go cheap on. I use The Shure ULX. Remember the old adage of "You get what you pay for"? It is a prime example of buying a wireless.

Thanks man, as I understand it the SLX is the same as the ULX but offers 20 channels instead of 40. I had pretty much been decided on that one. I started using wirless back in the day of CB radio and police radio interference so I'm deffinately not gonna settle for nothing less than the best.

X2 Digital Wireless - no companders to squash your signal. Sounds as good as or better than a cable.

I'm using the Shure SLX, and it's got lots of bang for the buck. But if you can pull off the ULX... go for it!

Edit 05/18 - I couldn't stand it any longer.. Upgraded to the ULX!! Mo Betta! Way Mo Betta!!!

Thanks guys for the input. Here's my choice: I went for the X2 digital. I loved the idea of no companders, the 900Mhz band, and the pedal board mountable receiver. After a lot of research and reveiw hunting I said what the hell; can always go ULX if this sucks. Guess what the reveiws were right on. This thing is fabulous. I seriously think I can't tell the difference A/B'd with a cord. You get the same signal out of the receiver that you put in the transmitter and it gives you a choice of one output eq'd to sound like a guitar cable and one with full bandwidth (sounds like you plugged directly into the board channel). If it is as reliable and durable as the sound quality these folks are on to something here. I had tried the Sennhieser digital a few years ago and being 16bit it sucked. This one is 24bit and does what they say it will. I'll report back after a few gigs and let you know how it holds up.

i have a Shure U4S and i love it. its very expensive here in Australia though. but if you are willing to spend the money, give it a try. it is a 1-space unit

I know many on TheGearPage love the X2 and it's now down to $299.

I have too many wireless units at home gathered during my search. I'm pretty happy with the Sennheiser digital when I use it.

Digital Wireless X2....raved about on the Gear Page....if they pay $100+ per cable, and are happy with the wireless, saying it sounds just like the cable, and I can't see it being bad :wink:

Haven't looked back and now that the price is down thinking about a second (just in case I ever needed a backup). My Bass player tried it and you wouldn't beleive how much it improved his sound over a cable. This is the best sounding and most painless wireless I've ever used. Being able to mount the receiver right on your pedal board is the ****!!!
Highly recommend this unit.

Back