I just started re-amping my band's songs with the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niilz

Reaction score
Right after we formed our band RETAIN in 2009 we recorded some songs in a friend's rehearsal room with a Diezel Einstein.
During the last days I started to re-amp the guitar tracks with my Mark V and - so far - I am not really happy with the results.
I seems the MKV does not have a good signal for/in the mix. Maybe it's just my perception?

Please check out http://www.wearethevoiceless.com

- "The Voiceless" (Diezel Einstein)
- "Indecisive Demon" (first re-amping attempt with MKV) :?
- "Wires" (several amp-modelers)

Please drop me a line on your opinions! Any advice is appreciated.
...Thanks in advance

I think the V sounds really good,it does seem to pop out of the mix just a little more that everything else but it sounds fine. pretty good songs by the way.

i really dig it.. maybe the guitar could go down a tiny bit in the mix?? (on the MKV track)

Just to get some of the basics out the way, explain your process for re-amping, including connections and devices.

barryathome said:
Just to get some of the basics out the way, explain your process for re-amping, including connections and devices.

Basically the same as I used on the other tracks:

- recorded guitar with amp next to me (splitet signal to amp)

- recording signal path: guitar to lehle sunday driver as linear preamp with 4 mega ohms input impedance to lehle p-split to amp
and to the other output to recording interface (apogee duett)

- re-amping signal path: interface to sunday driver (which I use in my setup usually...) to p-split (as DI-box) to amp
to SM57/Audix I5 to interface

...works great :mrgreen:

I think that the problem is the recording setting of the amp (not the re-amping/recording procedure). The MKV does not "fit" into the mix...

I tried MKIIC+/MKIV/EXTREME mode with 10W setting and experimented a lot with EDGE (which seems to have the best dynamic response).

Did anyone record a lot with that amp and has tweaked some nice "modern rock" settings???

Any advice on microphones with the MKV and Celestion Vintage 30 (16 ohms - I like 'em better than the 8 ohm V30s) speakers???

Maybe I'm going to replace the Audix I5...???

Maybe we are going to change the mix??? :cry:

shogun said:
i really dig it..
Spewnz said:
pretty good songs by the way.
THANK YOU !!! :mrgreen:

Sounds like you had an engineer that knew what he was doing. It sounds thick. When I did a recording back in 2005 they put my MK2C+ in a a iso booth. The thing sounded great in the booth but through the monitors it sounded thin. God I wish they still used tape to record instead of digital.

All of the tracks sound good. The arpegated lick on the V stands out well. Wires has a nice feel as well in the note spacing/intervals. Technique trumps equipments once you have a baseline of decent gear, IMO. You can recognize Knopfler, EVH after a few notes/chords by style/technique. Getting overly anal about some minute details in tone may not pay off as well as spending that time on other important items. You have the sound and skill aspect spot on. I will check out the rest of your site later.

Peace out! 8)

Hey niilz just wondering how come you tried the 10w settings instead of the 90w? I did like the einstein to be honest..

Btw is the einstein using the EL34? weird didnt know these tubes could have that type of sound

rispsira said:
Hey niilz just wondering how come you tried the 10w settings instead of the 90w? I did like the einstein to be honest..

Btw is the einstein using the EL34? weird didnt know these tubes could have that type of sound

Hey Sary - check you message folder ;-)

The 10w setting sounds quite direct and detailed and pronounces the pick-attack/overtones. I liked it better for recording...

That recorded Einstein is still loaded with TAD EL34STRs, but nowadays Peter ships 'em with winged Cs 6550s...
Yes they (EL34) can sound fat - even in the MKV!!!

Heritage Softail said:
Getting overly anal about some minute details in tone may not pay off as well as spending that time on other important items.

That is spot on!!!! ...but chasing the sound in my head is fun either ;-)

niilz said:
rispsira said:

Hey Sary - check you message folder ;-)

The 10w setting sounds quite direct and detailed and pronounces the pick-attack/overtones. I liked it better for recording...

That recorded Einstein is still loaded with TAD EL34STRs, but nowadays Peter ships 'em with winged Cs 6550s...
Yes they (EL34) can sound fat - even in the MKV!!!

Heritage Softail said:
Getting overly anal about some minute details in tone may not pay off as well as spending that time on other important items.

That is spot on!!!! ...but chasing the sound in my head is fun either ;-)

Got your msg bro thanks a lot! Didnt know that about the 10W and i am really interested in your tests and opinions as were getting closer to our bands recording as well and the only amps available will be the couple mark Vs i have (have a TA/290 as well but its still mark sound.. more or less). We just got into a new rehearsal room and before that they were sitting in boxes, so just started fooling around with it but have yet to hear in a band context (still moving in some stuff, didnt rehearse yet)

BTW being addicted to amplifiers (even a bit more than guitars i have to admit :oops: ) i just had to check the price on the einstein... DAM! LOL

Will be interested to know how it goes with your mark V! Later niilz!

Latest posts

Back