how did you get your mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea graduating high school is fun!

Me? I killed a guy, yea the hard part was prying it from is hands when he was in the state of rigamortis! A deal none the less! :D

Ok! ok!, thats not how it went down. Like many of you I worked my *** off and saved. Originally I was going for the Dual Rectifier but I thought to myself why stop there!? So I saved more and ordered the Road King. After a 8 month wait, which BTW drove me nuts!. I finally got it on March 31st and have been very happy since!

Am I the only one that ordered one directly from their factory when there was no MESA dealer yet ('81) and had to wait 9 agonizing months? Actually it took them 'only' six month and I drove to their factory in Petaluma, Calif. to pick it up (2 hour drive).

OK then! Mine was a custom order that the guy who ordered it did'nt want any longer! Apparently, this guy orders this head, three months later it arrives, and he does'nt like something cosmetic about it! So they send it back, and wait another three months! Between that time, he decided to purchase some high dollar guitar from this shop, which apparently the shop did'nt care, they were just going to return the head! But then you know who walks in! I saw it and had to have it! It was actually in the back shipping room, in a box, ready to go!I placed an order for a matching Recto Standard 4/12 at that time, which I recieved three months later! It and this story are in the "Customs Thread".

mine is a simple story (fortunately!)... saved up a little, took a look on e-bay and similar italian sites and searched for the lowest price and nearest place, since i wanted to try and take in person the Studio preamp i was looking for. I found a guy who was selling his studio pre and he lived in Venice, about 180 km from my village (men, there's a completely different concept of distance here in italy! 180km were quite a lot to me). Fortunately that guy was working much nearer to me at the time (in Padova), so i went to that town by train (2 hours journey), retired the studio pre (but couldn't try it there) and after just 10 mins i took the train for return for another 2 hours journey. the preamp was in perfect conditions, and the guy who sold it to me was very friendly...come back home, tried the pre and it sounded wonderful. Couldn't be happier (also my first mesa!) :D

first 3ch and stad4x12 i got in a deal from a friend who works at GC. He made friends with the Mesa reps who were demoing the stilleto and he ordered me the package at factory cost (shhhhh!). still cost a bitchload. this was from money off my summer internship. the next one i got a month ago. it's the chrome/black early DR i posted earlier. I saw it on ebay, messaged the seller, and he cut me a deal. waited 3 or 4 weeks for everything to clear and ship. needless to say im a happy man :D

I used the GC, try it before you buy it program. Started with a LSS which was great ,but had a few shortcomings. Took it back for a Fender TRRI. Took it back and got a LSC 2x12 and it was the keeper.

When I was in college, a buddy asked me to come over and record some guitar and bass tracks for some music he was working on. So I brought my gear over and on weekends would record at his place. Being focused on school, I had removed myself from the music scene in general and ended up leaving my stuff at his place for about a year.

When I went back to claim my equipment, some of it was missing. A Guild Advanced Pilot Bass, a Charvel Fusion Deluxe, and a Fender '73 Vibro Champ. Turns out his 'girlfriend' had sold them to feed her drug habit.

My buddy felt really bad about it and wanted to make things right. I had always wanted a Mesa. So, he paid for 2/3 of my Rect-O-Verb ... and I have never missed the stolen gear since.

I had been playing through a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 with a 1x15 extension cab for about 8 years. Had minor success with my band Dexter...off and on as time wore on and my drummer got married...went through about 5 bass players. Then after a while I felt as though I was the only one that was even remotely dedicated at all. Needless to say...it went downhill from there....for a while. We took a LONG hiatus. About 8 months away from practice...writing...shows...everything. I never even picked up my guitar for that whole time I bet. Anyways...
During that time I started going to see this cover band called "Phatstick" They played every Sat. at a local place that a lot of my friends frequented. The lead singer/guitarist, Jay, had a Rackmount Dual Recto and Standard cab. I heard them do Deftones-Be quiet and Drive...that was the first thing I ever heard them play. The SOUND that came out of that head and cab was astounding. We talked afterwards and talked gear...mesas...so on and so forth.
SO then he told me about a stag that his drummer was having...he was getting married in a little while. They were gonna play and have an open jam. So I went there and I asked him if I could get up and play that Deftones tune with them. They were all like YEAH SURE man you know it? I laughed and said yeah I think I got it. ;) (HUGE deftones fan here)
So I played on the Mesa...played the song without a hitch....and the FEEL...the sound .....the balls that the Mesa had.....it was like I had been sleeping this whole time....waiting for guitar tone that I never knew I was looking for.
About a month later...during tax return time....I went to Long and McQuade...put 1100 bux down and walked out with a single recto. I had to return it after about 6 months...only having played 3 shows with the thing. I lost my job...my girlfriend...almost went completely broke. But music was still very much alive in me. I think I have been more inspired musically in the last year than I have EVER been in my life.
So I vowed that once I got back on my feet...meaning moving from Ontario to Alberta...with nothing but a guitar, computer, and LOL some clothes....I vowed that I would get another Mesa.
A week after I got to Alberta..I got a good job...another wek later I put 800 down on another Single recto...and NOW I am a happy, giging musician again. Since then I have entered a songwriting contest...playing with a band that I have had now for barely 2 months. We came in Second...won some recording time...airplay when its recorded....and things are really starting to look up finally. Knowing that I have that recto behind me roaring away when I am up there....after I went through SO much to get it....actually makes me feel a little invincable...lol silly I know but hey...we are musicians....and we are poor....and we appreciate GOOD gear.
So yeah thats my story. ;)
Hum

These are some great stories. Here is mine.....the condensed version, hehe.

I Had been playing Marshall for a few years and had always wanted to get a Mesa Rectifier of some sort, so I did some serious looking on ebay and picked up a Rect-O-Verb head for $750 or something like that. I thought that was a pretty good price. I had it for about 2 years or so and sold it cause I decided I needed to get a Dual Rectifier. SO I did the ebay thing again and I am now the proud owner of a Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 Channel head.

However I really do miss the Rect-O-Verb. I should never have sold it.
Oh well, I am still more than happy with my Dual.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
I love getting sweet deals on amazing head.

Who doesn't? :D
Uh, .... I guess I won't go there ...
36_11_6.gif

Here's my story...

My two good friends at the time owned a music store (one still does) and they became Mesa dealers. I was playing a Peavey 5150 stack at the time and was getting good distorted tones but, that's it. The clean or semi-distorted sounds were not good. After hearing me complain enough, one of them suggested I try one of the "new Dual Recto's" that he just got (this was late 1992) and see if I liked it. Well, after playing it for 10 minutes, I went and got my amp and cabs and worked out a trade for a Mesa head and matching 4x12 cab wrapped in leather covering. Have never regretted it. As a matter of fact, just got it back from the same store after a retubing with new EL34's and JJ preamp tubes, and and few bad parts and I am very happy. This is the first time in 14 years of service at 100's of different gig's that it needed anything but new tubes. It's like getting my old friend back but, better than ever!!! Sounded outstanding at practice last night and will be playing it at an outdoor gig tomorrow and a two-nighter this weekend. Back to work my old friend, your time at the doctor is over!!! LOL.

The year - 1984, and I'm in college. My amp? A Crate. Not the Crates we all see today, but the original Crate. It actually looked like a Crate - it was a wooden box, unpainted, and gereally sounded like it looked - aweful. Solid state. I had a 60 watt combo, and 3 1x12 cabs - so it was like a half stack.

So, I'm at college, not doing much besides drinking beer, smoking and thinking about and playing guitar. Thought I was good - thought I knew what I was doing - basically thought I was the campus guitar hot-shot. One day a friend is telling me about this guy who's a preacher in the graduate seminary who also plays - tells me he's pretty good. So I get in touch with the guy, and we set up a jam with a guy I know who plays drums, a real amateur-hour bass player, me and the preacher, who's name is Howie. You read that right - he was a preacher. Not the type with the collar and black duds and all - but a preacher nonetheless. (A truly great guy, by the way, who I still talk to once in a while. He had a profound influence on me, my playing, and my philosophical outlook on life - in a non-religious sense).

So...we all show up at the appointed place and time. I'm there with my wall of Crates and 12-pack of Rolling Rock, the drummer has like a 16-piece kit (remember - it was the 80s guys), and the bass player has this old Fender amp. Howie shows up with this tiny little black box with one word on it: "Boogie". I'm thinking to myself - how is this guy going to be heard? He straps on his telecaster, plugs in, and starts to rip. I almost crapped my pants. I had never heard anything like it in my life - well I HAD heard that sound before, but not from anything in real life - only on records (again - this was the 80s, folks). Besides being an incredible guitarist, Howie's sound floored me. It was LOUD, full, articulate - just gave me goosebumps.

He was playing an original Mark I. I had never even heard of Mesa/Boogie. I ask him what kind of amp is that, and he goes - "This? It's a Boogie. Sounds good, doesn't it!" Sounds good? It sounds freaking unbelievable. He let me plug in, and after noodling for something like 3 seconds I knew I had to get my hands on a Boogie. So being a piss-poor college kid I had to save all my money, cut down on the beer intake, and start playing out as much as I could in order to obtain the funds to get one. I quit college, and started playing seriously. It took almost three years to amass the princely sum of $650 which I used to pay for a Studio .22.

That little amp was so good to me. I had found my sound, and I had found my amp. Finally. I have never looked back. I no longer own that little Studio .22, and since then I have owned a .50 Caliber + head and 2x12 road ready cab. Sold all of that to buy a DC-3 (we live and learn, right?). Still have the DC-3 and work with it regularly - it's a lot like the Studio .22. And now finally (and I mean finally - or at least that's what I told the missus) I'm onto a bubinga and wicker F-50 - the acquisition of which is the standard "you're kidding me - I have to wait three months for this to arrive?" story told by many others.

I did end up finishing my education by the way - something I would highly recommend to all - it helps provide the income to buy MORE GEAR!

Thaty's my story.

^^^ that one is cool as hell, especially since i'm in college right now and it all sounds so true and believable. +100 on the education part. I don't think any of use bedroom wankers should quit school for a "deal," unless it's a real DEAL! i've been a little bit luckier with my financials in that we business students know how to make money without working too much for it! :D So I got a rig some pro's would crap to have.

plumptone said:
...He was playing an original Mark I. I had never even heard of Mesa/Boogie. ...Thaty's my story.

Great story--reminds of first time I saw a Mesa/Boogie, right around 1984, when I saw this band with a guitarist playing through an amp that looked more like a piece of furniture than an guitar amplifier. It was polished, stained hardwood with a grill cloth that looked like someone stole it from a wicker porch chair!

That guy had a great tone coming from this tiny little amplifier. It must've been his first gig with it, cuz everyone in the band seemed to be excited about it.

Within a few weeks, I'd looked at half a dozen Boogies and decided that's the way to go! By the time the Mark IIB came out, I'd traded in all my huge Marshall stuff (pity, that, but I was young/poor) to play through this amazing little 100 Watt amplifier with a graphic EQ and a 60 Watt selector switch.

It was the first of three Boogies, all of which served with distinction.

Living Close to Hollywood most of my life, Mesa was my favorite stop on the HW music store trail, well that and el torito :lol: .
Just something about that Mesa sound that always did it for me. My First mesa was a new DC-5 combo in 1989 (from Mesa Hollywood of course).
I learned to hang drywall just to get that amp, something I still can do great to this day and avoid it at all costs :lol:
The DC-5, I loved it, I kept it until late last year actually. I have moved on to a Nomad 100 head. Which I love equally. I like the attitude those style of amps give up, more so than the Recto thing, awesome sound, just not what I'm looking for.
heres a pic of my DC-5 (converted) combo atop my EH 4x12.
I made the combo into a head using pine hardwood to match the head, including using dovetail joints. :wink:
M2.jpg

E_R-
I spent too much money at that El Torito. It was too convenient while shopping gear.

Why the move to Montana?

I don't blame you for staying away form drywall... it sucks.

I almost forgot to answer the post....

After having played Marshall and Marshall sounding amps for years and having gone through the rack gear I decided that I wanted to add Mesa tone to my arsenal. I was torn between the Mark and Recto sound. I settled for the Mark sounds to get classic Mesa tone and will just get a Recto later.

I found my Mark IV locally for a decent price and just restored the missing stuff (footswitch, reverb tank, decent tubes, and logo). In the proccess I acquired a proper head cabinet and combo cabinet. The amp had come in a Mark III head cabinet with a rackmount. Initially the amp sounded pretty good as is. Since having restored it I now get great tone out of it.

Back in the day I used to cruise through the Hollywood store and just drool. Mesa pricing was always out of my league. Even most recently (sbout 5 years ago) just before I left LA to relocate to SD I remember having gone through there just oggling the amps. Now that I live so far from them and am now in a better financial position such that I can afford such them, I am on the phone asking them questions and stuff. Go figure.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone bought from cyberguitar2002 on E-bay? He seems to sell quite a few Mesas. I asked him where he gets them all and he says it is a secret. Makes me wonder. If I had the amps he sells I probably wouldn't sell them but instead have rooms that have walls covered in Mesas. In the course of the last few months I have seen him sell about a dozen heads and as many cabinets.

I made the move to MT because of my wife's job, she took a promotion to this region. Since she is from Montana and a lot of her family lives here it was a no brainer. I can do my thing no matter my location. We plan on moving back at some point, maybe when the So. Cal. housing market is not just plain stupid ....yes I know wishful thingking :lol:

Latest posts

Back