how are the Voodoo mods?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
i might be getting such a fantastic deal on a recto-verb, that i'll probably have enough left over to get at least the "standard" voodoo mod, and maybe even the transformer "deluxe" mod
he seems to specialize in making this amp sound better at lower volumes which is what i would like
has anybody else here sent their boogies to voodoo? specifically a recto-verb?
how's his reputation?

edit: i've just read enough now to assume he's the real deal

the dude's been very responsive to my emails

does a transformer change-out make THAT big of a difference?

I looked into mods for my Stiletto; just out of curiosity mainly, and found as well that they were responsive...they act like they want your business and that is usually a good sign! :)

I had just decided to spend the money elsewhere for the time being.
I have heard all good about Voodoo and if you want to have it modded, I believe they will treat you right!

I'd ask them to spell out what the transformer mod will do specifically (got a feeling they already have by now). My understanding was that they will give you stoughter versions of the power & output tran's that will give you a bit more output & headroom, but again, they will get specific on that if you ask.

One of the questions they asked me was "do you like the way the amp sounds stock?" And since I had to say "yes", I decided to save the money (for now)..
Good luck whatever you decide! :D

Look in to a Wampler "Triple Wreck" pedal. Big can 'o whoop a** in a pedal. Hard to find it as the demand is very high. I have bought a few pedals from Humbucker Music near Atlanta. I have no ties to them btw. And they are stock out of them too...

if i'm just playing at lower volumes would it be worth the money to get the transformer upgrade for this amp?

IMHO no, don't waste the money. the tranformers in the Mesa's are good.

jamme61 said:
IMHO no, don't waste the money. the transformers in the Mesa's are good.

+1

Unlike alot of other amp makers, Mesa actually uses pretty decent trannys in their amps.

The only way I would upgrade mine is if I had one fail.

My amp has a lot of balls, but I have yet to see any trannys in it.....

I kid I kid.....

Hi all, first post here ... I am interested in Voodoo mods as well, for a Tremoverb specifically. I don't think I want to get trannys replaced, but I am interested in some changes to the gain. I does have a bit of a "chainsaw" type of character to it that I don't use or really like anymore. I have loved this amp for a long time, but I if I could cure some of these chainsaw issues I would be much happier with it.

Has anyone had their Tremoverb modded by Voodoo?

Thanx for the input.

seth155 said:
l[/b]

I have tried emailing voodoo on 3 occasions and I have yet to ever get a reply from them. For that very reason I am going to ship my triple to Jerry at FJA mods. He, on the other hand has answered every mail I have sent him. I even got a reply from him on a Sunday. Definately gets points in my book for getting back to me in a timely manner.

FJA Mods is great and would recommend them to anyone looking to get a little extra out of their amp.

Jerry will answer all of your emails, no matter how many or how stupid (believe me I asked some dumb questions)!!!

That is kind of weird, because Trace is usually really good with responding, he actually is part of this board and usually answers questions here or there. Possible his spam filter has marked you as spam, try messaging him on the board.

R_ADKINS80 said:
seth155 said:
l[/b]

I have tried emailing voodoo on 3 occasions and I have yet to ever get a reply from them. For that very reason I am going to ship my triple to Jerry at FJA mods. He, on the other hand has answered every mail I have sent him. I even got a reply from him on a Sunday. Definately gets points in my book for getting back to me in a timely manner.

trace has answered my emails the same day every time..and on weekends...also gave me free advice..
he apparantly didnt get the message..fja was the opposite of that. but that dont mean they do bad work it just means they are super busy...try emailing the people that make the amp and see what happens. :lol:

No....I have emailed him on 3 sepperate occasions. I have never heard back from him on either try. Jerry has answered my every email so he gets my business when I get the last bit of cash saved up for the mods I want. Plus the recorded clips on the voodoo site, to me, left nothing to be desired. I think they actually sounded like someone trying to dial bad tone in a recto with great success. But tone is subjective so someone else might think those clips rock. Jerry's modded recto clips blow me away.

i've looked at, and listened to the sound clips of, FJA-mods
but the thing i like about Voodoo-mods is that they give a list of what their mods do to tone/gain/responsiveness etc
FJA just has clips of, i guess the "after" finished product.

seth155 said:
but the thing i like about Voodoo-mods is that they give a list of what their mods do to tone/gain/responsiveness etc

My mods aren't one size fits all take it or leave it mods, they are custom to what each player asks for. My standard mod has a base I work from that comes from the most requested changes that I get for each particular model, but totally tweaked as needed. If you look at some of the descriptions other shops give it's the same description for almost every model amp loaded with fancy buzz words and marketing.
Jerry

seth155 said:

And those "finished products" speak for themselves, to me anyways.

Latest posts

Back