Horrible News!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shang Chi 66 said:
jdurso said:
Shang Chi 66 said:
I,m not going to jump the gun until I get more info about this latest delay.

But if this is in fact true (and applies to first pre-orders), those folks (Mesa) won,t be getting any money from me. I verify this, I will be cancelling my order immediately!

I was one of the first people to order this amp, and like others, have been beyond patient & understanding to this point...but there does come a time for anybody, that enough is enough.

Honestly and I'm not saying this to start anything, but Mesa has been as consistant and true to their customers as any amp builder out there. So i dont see the point in making a big stink about a delay on one of the first few runs of the initial release of their newest amp. Trust me, in any production environment the manufacturer likes delays even less than you do... that costs them money and holds up everything else behind it. Even if the delay is true, I'd bet my Roadster that its to getting everything perfect so as to live up to their highly regarded QA dept.

Some good points well taken. Thank you. And this is probaly a moot issue anyway. Like I said, I was,nt going to take issue with this, unless I confirmed it to be true with my dealer. At which time, if I deemed this alleged and, latest delay to be unreasonable, I would cancel my order.

Of course, you,re absolutely correct about them wanting everything "perfect" before they,re shipped. No one wants dozens of defective or suspect amps out there, everyone loses with that.

However, one does get to the point of "how long is this going to go on"?

Yes, take the time to get it right by all means. But...get it together, and ship these amps to folks who have put money down...and have been waiting, being patient for weeks not past the due date, but the due, dates , for months now.

Again, hopefully this whole thread will be for naught, with Christmas in may for some folks in the next week or so. :D

It's really not all that bad. Just think of the guys who ordered Cameron amps back in 2006 and are still waiting.

lesterpaul said:
half price?could be a while....

Good Point,

Most used Mark series amps sell for more then the original asking price (not the re-issue price)

I wouldn't trust anything some jackass at Guitar Center tells you, Mesa has not stopped production of the Mark V. They are about to start the second run of heads this month. What happened and always happens with Guitar Sewer is they ( Guitar Center's order department) messed up with the p.o's or something so all guitar center's will be receiving Mark V's late. That's what I was told by a higher up.

He most likely told you that to save face and not take reasonability himself. One of the many reason my money will never go to Guitar Sewer.

I completely agree, look at your source. I've heard so much B.S. come from G.C. sales people that I wouldn't believe them if they told me the sky was blue. It's insulting to your intelligence at times. They aren't all bad, but for the most part G.C. staff are useless.

Even if it's true, which I really doubt, I'd suspect there's a good reason. If I was spending $2k and they found an issue, I'd prefer to wait for them to fix it.

See this is why I hate it when every posts every little tidbit they heard from some DA who heard it from some other DA. Then the last DA in the chain misinterprets it. It's like playing Telephone in Kindergarten.

Why would any of us have any reason to believe that the Marks are defective? We're all boogie nerds here, every one of you should know by now that Mesa builds amps in production runs. So of course it makes sense that one of these runs would cease. :lol:

It's Guitar Center, they probably told you that because they didn't have any and then told you that their Line 6 Spider III is the best amp they have there and you should get that...

SeasonOfPain said:
danyeo1 said:
MrMarkIII said:
This is why I wait to buy used... at half the price, too. Suckers. :lol:
When you can buy a Mark V for $1000 I'll show you my unicorn collection.
Are they good for metal? :D

Seasonofpain i cant beleive you would use these unicorns just for metal!
theyre much more versatile than that..

just kdg everyone!

Manufacturers do production runs where a given line builds nothing but one thing for a few weeks. When a run for a given product is done, they do the next production run of another item. This is how ALL manufacturers do it; it is not something unique to Mesa. Also, just because there are tons of orders for the newest, greatest product doesn't mean orders for everything else has stopped. The people who've ordered those would also like their product in a reasonable time frame. Mesa has to balance this out. So don't go canceling your orders; they WILL take care of you. :) +1 on the unicorns; they're great for metal!! \o/ :twisted: \o/ Good luck finding a used one for $1000. Until supply exceeds demand, you'll see used priced probably exceeding new prices (I saw it on the Roadster head on eBay shortly after I got mine).

The shop I work at hasn't received the head we have on order yet (and it is spoken for). Does that mean we're worried about it being filled? No, not all. With new, hyped products demand is going to be huge and is going to make the supply line seem like a trickle.

That said, the combos have started coming out. We got our Mark V combo and it rocks. It rocks even more sitting in my living room... :lol: . Yeah, I bought it. FYI, it sounds and works GREAT. Channel switching is awesome; no annoying pop like Channel 3 on my Roadster.

If they got the combo right (and they did :!: ), I don't see any snafus happening with the head. Sounds like GC BS. If GC messed up their Puchase Order, where they are in line might have gotten pushed back.

Dearthian, would you be so kind as to give me (us) your opinion on the channel 2 Mark I mode? I ,ve heard several folks here (and elsewhere) saying that it,s much too dark for their liking, so much so that it,s just about useless for heavy chord work...I,m thinking, what, are the treble & presence controls that useless?

Certainly it isn,t set voiced so dark that it can,t be brightened up at least somewhat....whats your take? Thanks.

Shang Chi 66 said:
Dearthian, would you be so kind as to give me (us) your opinion on the channel 2 Mark I mode? I ,ve heard several folks here (and elsewhere) saying that it,s much too dark for their liking, so much so that it,s just about useless for heavy chord work...I,m thinking, what, are the treble & presence controls that useless?

Certainly it isn,t set voiced so dark that it can,t be brightened up at least somewhat....whats your take? Thanks.

It is definitely on the dark side, but must confess I haven't played around much with the Mark I setting. I must admit, I wasn't really looking at that channel for heavier sounds. I was wanting a brighter, crunchier setting for Channel 2 and generally use the Crunch setting.

For any kind of heavier sound, I rely on Channel 3. All three settings on Channel 3 are quite usable depending on how modern you want it to sound. I really kinda dig the MarkII+C sound but still really like the Mark IV and Extreme settings. Like I say, all 3 are quite usable.

Shang Chi 66 said:

Not Dearthian, but I'll chime in here. I played a gig Friday night using the Mark V. And used Channel 2 on and off throughout the night. I'd call it a more 'full' sound than I'd call it dark. It worked fine for tunes I was using it on.

MeZadude 8)

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like that channel should be very versatile.

mesadude, what kind of gig did you play, and what was your overall impression of the Mark 5 in a live setting? Meet or exceed your expectations?

Also, did you enjoy it as much as your past Boogie gear? Thanks.

Shang Chi 66 said:

mesadude, what kind of gig did you play, and what was your overall impression of the Mark 5 in a live setting? Meet or exceed your expectations?

No, it didn't exceed my expectations. I don't believe I quite had it setup correctly. The gig was a loud, hard rock gig at a local venue. I had all channels set to 45W, and was running in the low-power (Variac) setting. The amp didn't have the power I usually get with the Mark IV, and I had to use the Zendrive on a couple of tunes to really get that searing quality for leads. The lead settings just didn't quite cut it. And I was on stage, under dark stage lighting, and didn't have time to really think about it, or adjust anything. I was also running through my Dr. Z Stang-Ray & my Lunchbox 2. Normally I use this setup, but with the Mark IV, and use the Mark Four for kicking in leads. The Five is a different beast, and I (apparently) haven't tamed it yet.

Thinking about this over the weekend, I believe that if I had used the Mark V in the 90W setting, and then used the Variac power, I should have been getting close to what I'm used to hearing with the Mark IV, as the Four doesn't have the individual channel wattage settings. I'll try again next time.

MeZadude 8)

mesadude said:
Shang Chi 66 said:

No, it didn't exceed my expectations. I don't believe I quite had it setup correctly. The gig was a loud, hard rock gig at a local venue. I had all channels set to 45W, and was running in the low-power (Variac) setting. The amp didn't have the power I usually get with the Mark IV, and I had to use the Zendrive on a couple of tunes to really get that searing quality for leads. The lead settings just didn't quite cut it. And I was on stage, under dark stage lighting, and didn't have time to really think about it, or adjust anything. I was also running through my Dr. Z Stang-Ray & my Lunchbox 2. Normally I use this setup, but with the Mark IV, and use the Mark Four for kicking in leads. The Five is a different beast, and I (apparently) haven't tamed it yet.

Thinking about this over the weekend, I believe that if I had used the Mark V in the 90W setting, and then used the Variac power, I should have been getting close to what I'm used to hearing with the Mark IV, as the Four doesn't have the individual channel wattage settings. I'll try again next time.

MeZadude 8)

Definately sounds like a work in progress, as to be expected this early on.

The only part that bothers me somewhat is the, "I had to use the Zendrive on a couple of tunes to really get that searing quality for leads. The lead settings just didn't quite cut it."

Thats supposed to be a Mark series amp strength, without the need for extra overdrive from a pedal. I realize some metal guys use a boost to tighten up some amps for their rhythm tones, but again, tightness I thought (I,ve never owned one before) was supposed to be another Mark series attribute...no?

What exactly was the probelm though, not enough sustain? That would be a deal breaker for me. I,m not a metal guy, but that fat, singing lead tone ala Santana, Petrucci has got to be there!

Back