help me please!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya i know. that song is actually in drop b and i have my guitar's set up for that. but i know they use mark v's which is why im wondering if the dc-10 can get that kind of tone

I liked the video for "The Clincher!"

I think you won't have a problem getting very close to that tone. You may have to use the Graphic EQ, but you can assign it just to the lead channel.

Try these settings, they may work. I didn't have the time to, but maybe I will do it this weekend.

Gain: 7-9
Treble: 5
Mid: 4-6
Bass: 7
Presence: 2-4
Reverb: 0-2
Master: 2-4

Output: 2-4 (gets really loud at 4)

EQ in the standard "V" setting, and then adjust accordingly.

He's using a Mahogany PRS, I don't know if it has a Maple top. I'm assuming that it doesn't because it's painted. Both of mine have Maple tops, so they will be brighter.

Also, I can't really make out what cab he's using. Given all the variables, you should be able to get very convincingly close.

There is something to be said for having your signature tone though. Once you nail that tone, maybe experiment a little with the EQ. These amps are far more versatile than most.

All this said, I'm going to have to buy that CD now. I don't like most new music, but these guys have a few songs that I really dig. Thanks for broadening my horizons. :D

alrigt lol thanks. how about the first video. can i get that tone

alright. as for the avatar canbnets they all look so ugly to me. is there any other good but cheap cabs i could get

PRS24 said:
im looking into buying a mesa amp but i dont have the kind of money for the mark iv which i have always wanted. so in the 600 dollar range what mesa amps could i get that sound similar to the mark iv

I used to have a Studio Caliber DC-2 years ago and it was a great amp.
You may not really need all the watts and power of a Mark IV and the
DC-2 (even though it is a 20 watt 2xEL84 amp) really could get enough
volume for band practice and small venues. No, you are not going to
fill a stadium with big sounds - but I am willing to bet you aren't playing
arenas or stadiums any time soon. The Studio Caliber (DC-2) will really
surprise you with how loud it can get and can also nail some great tones.
I really liked the clean/rhythm channel on mine and would just put a few
pedals in front. Excellent sounds! And very portable! Great grab and
go amp for just about anything from home to band practice and off to the
club or pub.

If you are absolutely certain you 'need' more wattage and want to
be able to kicked out of that small club or room you might play -
then go ahead and get yourself a DC-5. (These can still be had
if you look around for under $700). But don't expect to get great
tones from it trying to play it quietly. yeah - it will make a sound -
but you really have to open up the 6L6 power tubes and gain
circuit to have it sound really good.

So check out the DC-2. Great amp. (imho)
And you can find them under $600 if you look around!
In fact look around the board there might be some sellers here.

:D You really can't go wrong with any of them.

My favorite is the DC-10 though.
I've had 2 DC-2's and my only real complaint at the time was that the Contour only works on channel 2.

The best way to decide is to ask yourself how much clean headroom you need, and what type of gigs you want to play.

I can play my DC-10 at bedroom volume and usually I get a really good tone that only gets better as the volume goes up.

If you don't play clean very much, or if you like some hair in your clean tone, then any of the DC's will be perfect.

I like pristine, Fender like cleans at LOUD volumes, so the DC-10 is the one for me.
The DC-5 holds up pretty well, but my drummer is really loud (but incredible) and I always found myself wanting more headroom.
The DC-3 is really good too for a band if you use a Thiele cab under it for more thump.

If I were looking for one, it would be this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-DC-10-Combo_W0QQitemZ290263391919QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290263391919&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Here are a bunch more: http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZGuitarQ5fAmpQ5fAccessoriesQQ_fromZR46QQ_sopZ10?_nkw=mesa+dc+-case&_sacat=38072&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=mesa+cabinet+-case&_osacat=38072

If you go for a DC-5 combo, let me know. I might part with mine. It has a few extras that make it really sweet.
Bias pot
Better tone capacitors
New power supply capacitors
New LDR's for channel switching
Cathode/Fixed bias switch
Better reverb
Just re-covered in burgundy tolex

thanks for the tips. i was thinking more of a stack than a combo. their's something about combo's that i just dont like. don't ask why but there is. and if i can't find a dc-10 i will pry go for the dc-10. What about cabs though. what are some good cheap brands

I'm not too sure about cabs.

Avatar cabs are very affordable, and sound great. I know that they look funky, but they are what they are.

You can find a good Mesa cab for cheap too. I looked on Guitar Center's website and there is a 4x12 Mesa cab for $440 or so.

Sometimes there are great prices on ebay too.

I don't really like Marshall cabs with Mesa amps, they just don't seem to sound as good as the Mesa cabs to me.

Yeah, Pepper Keenan from C.O.C. and Down uses a .50 Caliber + Head.

I have the + it has 6L6's, the gain is amazing I can get a Justice/Puppets tone to a Down tone with ease, plugging straight in. This amp even sounds good at low volumes. I find the .50 Caliber + to have a very tight tone, in my opinion.

Never played a DC series but would love to try em out, I find my .50 Caliber + sounds much like a Mark series, I've owned a IIC+ a III Blue Stripe and a IV.

The clean channel is awesome on this amp too, no complaints here.

ya avatar cabs look ugly lol but i might have to settle for one. anything else

PRS24 said:
ya avatar cabs look ugly lol but i might have to settle for one. anything else

I think their 2x12 Contemporary cabinet looks cool and would have bought one except it's too big to fit in my trunk. I've got the Vintage 1x12 under an Ampeg head that sounds very nice. Since your looking to spend little as possible I would not count them out.

acctually after looking into the avatar speakers i might have to get a 2x12 closed back. closed back give more bass response right??

It does, but it is also more focused. I prefer partially open back cabs (don't play metal anymore) so that the sound fills the room more. Also, I get to hear more of my amp than I do with closed back cabs.

I want to get a Mesa 2x12 3/4 back and stack it on top of a Recto 2x12 cab. That way I get both.

The guys at Avatar are great. I called them today about a 2x12 cab. If I can't find a Mesa one by the end of the week, I will most likely just get an Avatar. For the price, they cannot be beat. I used to have 2 of their 4x12's. They were very light, but extremely sturdy.

Mostly, but I don't find open back cabs to be muddy at all unless the amp is set up that way.

Like I said, I prefer them over closed back (unless it's a 4x12 cab) because they seem to fill a room better, the sound comes from everywhere instead of just the front of the cab.

Sort of like a flood light vs. a focused beam of light.

But.....then again, I'm not playing large venues either.

Monsta-Tone said:
... If I were looking for one, it would be this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-DC-10-Combo_W0QQitemZ290263391919QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290263391919&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ...

This one is about a 45 minute to an hour drive from me, Guns Galore is a large well known gun store.

One point I will make is that there are alot of forum members here with a good reputation of using an honest description and fair pricing when selling gear in the Boogie Board Classified section. Don't overlook buying here. I wouldn't hesitate buying from Monsta-Tone and many others on this forum.

Latest posts

Back