Guitar Vs Amp...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about you, but my tone still sounds good through a cheap pod or a $20 practice amp, it's all in know how to use it and dialing it in. And how you play affects the amps tone more than a little, if you hit soft the tone will be softer (even with massive amounts of gain) than when you hit hard. And going from a bridge pickup to a neck pickup will completely alter your tone as well, so it's not just having a great amp, it's knowing how to use it and how to change your technique to work as one with the amp. The amplifiers and guitars and strings and picks are all just tools, if you don't know how to use them properly then they'll sound like crap, if you can't sound good through a cheap setup, you're not going to sound that much better through an amazing setup. I did a bunch of recordings with a POD and a bunch with my Mesa's, and the tone is still sounds like me regardless of the equipment.

guitarmaster said:
Wrong again, sometimes unskilled and incompetent persons that don't know how to set their Boogies make they sound like crap

I already heard awful players through boogies but I never heard a boogie sounded like crap. Even if it's a bad set up it still sound like a crap BOOGIE.
Our toughts are pointing to different ways,it's good it makes us and others think :wink:

ToneAddictJon said:
I did a bunch of recordings with a POD and a bunch with my Mesa's, and the tone is still sounds like me regardless of the equipment.

Maybe because you made your boogie sounded like your pod :cry:

18&Life said:
ToneAddictJon said:
I did a bunch of recordings with a POD and a bunch with my Mesa's, and the tone is still sounds like me regardless of the equipment.

Maybe because you made your boogie sounded like your pod :cry:

No, cause I know how to make my POD and Boogie both sound like me :wink:

guitarmaster said:
You're right again, I could play with a cheap amp and with a Mesa, but also if the tones are different my skills and technique are here.

Who the hell said that IF YOU PLAY THROUGH A CRAP AMP YOUR SKILLS AND TECHNIQUE WILL DISAPPEAR ???
Maybe HOUDINI ??

Never ,what will disappear will be a good tone.

Maldeve said:
Taking into account everyones "GrailTone" differs from player to player, What would you say in a % answer effects your overall goal in achieving this tone.

For example would you say the guitar contributes 40% and the amp 60%?
Or 50/50 etc... etc...

I hate to sound like a flip-floppin' politician but I think it depends a bit on the amp in question. For instance, I used to have a DC-5. A big part of the reason that I got rid of it was because it made all of my guitars sound almost the same through it, thereby making your equation about 99% amp/1% guitar. That was more the case on the lead channel though than the clean side.

Now, with my Stiletto or Riveras, I think the equation is about 55% amp and 45% guitar. There's no doubt that the amp has a huge effect on tone, but I hear a lot of differences between my Groshes, Jacksons, PRS and Strats in all three of my main amps. And I hear a big difference between each of the amps, too, with a given guitar.

I look at it two ways:

A-Trying to establish a really nice clean sound including the overtones of the sound....60% amp 40% guitar.

B-Distortion or processed type sound....40% guitar 30% amp 30% effects pedals. The 40% going to the guitar would be based on type of pickup being used.

I`m definitly with guitarmaster about guitar player fingers everything is important when things come to getting good tone. About guitar/amp I think 45/55 guitars made huge difference in amp tone and feel, especialy on lower gain levels. Lerning to play perfect and beatiful on a tube amp clean tone or slitgthly overdriven one is the real chalenge.

you have to have both. i am going to say 100% amp 100% guitar. but if it were me and i had to choose i would rather have a les paul and a express 50 than a roadking/mark IV and korean pile of poop. oh, with "jb" in it. ha ha ha ha. :lol:

Koprofag is right EMG pickups make every guitar sounds almost identical, I have tested my Jackson RR5 light alder body guitar and a gibson les pual zakk wylde bullseye heavy mahogny based guitar. And apart from gibsons beautiful sound and harmonic when unpluged on distortion they sound almost identical if not identical at all.

Latest posts

Back