Great SRV & Mick Taylor tones using LSC channel 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Toggle: TWEED
Mini toggel DRIVE
Mini toggel NORMAL

Drive @ 5 O'CLOCK almost maxed
Gain @ 4 O'CCLOCK

Treble @ 8 O'CLOCK
Mid @ 7:30 O'CLOCK
Bass @ 7:00 O'CLOCK
Presence @ 12:00 O'CLOCK

Effects Loop Bypased.

The above is just a rough reference point. Start all the tones at thet "off" position and adjust the treble mid and bass untill they just start to add a little juice to the output

With the above settings I got a beautiful shimmery with a touch of gain SRV tone with my strat. Also the LSC is now beggining to exhibit the touch sensisitvity I was only able to get from higher priced boutique pieces

I then added a touch more Treble and Bass and turning the Mids to around 10 O'Clock I game off with Mick Taylor's Sticky Fingers tones in spades with my R9 LP. Actually the LSC is the best amp for this tone other than the original Ampegs. Yoo may want to add a Marshally OD pedal here too for a little extra thick gain

Hmmm?

I may have to give these rather extreme seeming settings a try.(with an open mind)

The reason? I think Mick Taylor is one of the 'Greatest' of the 'Under-Appreciated' and 'Least Known Guitarist's of all time. His fluid-melodic-lines give me 'goose-bumps' to this day! The first time I heard him play live...I turned to look at other people around me. Everyone's eyes were wide; and their mouths were hanging open (just like mine!)

It's sad...but unless you talk to a die-hard Stones fan who knows the 'roster' of all the musicians who have played with them...most people will not even recognise the name.
If you then say to most people..."Oh he played guitar with the Stones for a few years"...they laugh at you and say..."No! His name is Mick JAGGER; NOT TAYLOR; and he's the singer; NOT the Guitar Player!"

I really..like Ron Woods...but he's too much in the 'school' of
Keith Richards for him and Keith to properly 'showcase' each other. The interplay and contrast between Mick Taylor and Keith Richards and their diametrically opposed styles made for some of the greatest moments in Rock N Roll History. (IMHO)

Regards: Charles

I hear you Charles about Mick Taylor. Sticky Fingers what a great album. I remember taking that record with me when I stayed with my Grandma for a couple of weeks as a kid of about 7 or 8. I **** near blew out her KLH speakers.

Not only a great player, Mick Taylor had great tone. After ABB and the Rev it's my favorite LP tone.

My favorite LP player is Pagey -though his tone was usually a little edgier than I like But his writng skills unbeleivable Since I've Been ...... Imo the best blues song ever written.

Isnt Taylor on Sticky Fingers too? great tone on "Can you hear me knockin"!!
yeah I havnt had my LSC a month yet and I love it more each time I play it. Its amazing!

posted by Pageburst:

I hear you Charles about Mick Taylor. Sticky Fingers what a great album. I remember taking that record with me when I stayed with my Grandma for a couple of weeks as a kid of about 7 or 8. I **** near blew out her KLH speakers.

My comment:

Man...you had some seriously sophisticated taste in music for wee lad of 7 or 8! I was still singin'..."Davey...Davey Crockett, king of the wild frontier"

YeeHa! Charles

Man! I really like this forum!! Only one other person I know talks about Mick Taylor like you guys are doing here. I’ll have to say that I am on board with the “fan club”. The Taylor era of the Stones was the best.
I spend a lot of time listening to the guitar/ amp tones of those classic bands. You know, late ‘60s to mid ‘70s.stuff. The electric guitar at its finest, I think.
I’ve had my Stiletto Deuce for a little over a year and a half and I’m starting to get that G.A.S. thing going. Maybe you guys can talk me into a Lonestar.

I will try this tonight ... Sticky Fingers is their best IMO ... and this is my amp so ... any other settings you want to post are welcome.

Yeah, the Lone Star club has been pretty feisty lately. Charles Reeder said something in another thread about how maybe we More Mature players might be drawn to this model because (to paraphrase) its sounds are more refined and sophisticated (like us). We're basically snobs, when you get right down to it.

The Mick Taylor thing is right in line with this. Of course, that early-70's Stones was the best stuff they ever did, by far. Oh, don't think so? What do you play though... a Peavy? (delivery a la Jack Black in High Fidelity)

Seriously, Can You Hear Me Knockin' was one of the first things I played through the LSC when I brought it home. It seemed logical. It's made for this kind of thing. Pretty much any squanky, spanking blues tone is a natch out of this amp, as is that smoother, round and buttery tone. Once you get a taste of it, you start going through your old records and finding stuff you want to try to ape (and then you start buying more guitars, and then you're in real trouble).

This morning I was fooling around and I was able to track a pretty damned good high-gain thing too. I dunno, I'm sure my high-gain credentials are nothing to be proud of, but I'm not sure what more you'd want... maybe I'll post a tone clip, if I can play something that's semi-coherent.

post those high gain settings and the guitar setup ... i know everything is different for each guitar and sometimes the tubes used affect the tone - but it would be a good starting point.

I hate to be the one to tell you guys this, but all those guitars on CYHMK... Keith. Though I love the Mick Taylor era Stones, I have the same feelings that Keith did about him. A genius player, but not consistent in his epiphany's. I have become a huge fan of the blurred guitar 'weaving' of Keith and Ronnie. To me, having two guys take a central idea and both play rhythm and lead ... breathtaking and deserving of much kudos. That said... Mick Taylor's haunting lead line on 'Shine A Light' off of "Exile on Main Street" gives me people-bumps every single time I hear it. That little delayed string noise in the very beginning of the song... chilling.

rvschulz said:
which pickups are in the R9 LP ...

I'm using Wolfetone Dr. Vintages a boutique PAF and one of the most holographic and open sounding buckers I've used

rvschulz said:
post those high gain settings and the guitar setup ... i know everything is different for each guitar and sometimes the tubes used affect the tone - but it would be a good starting point.
Sure thing, though it's not a surprising setup:

Ch2, Drive on
Thicker selected
Drive: 10:00
Gain: 5:00
Treble: 5:00
Mid: 8:00-
Bass: 9:00-
Presence: 1:00

50w, full power, tube rectification.

I have the loop in, though I don't actually use it most of the time: I like to have the solo boost available, so I keep the Send at about 1:30.

Oh yes, this is a 2006 LSC 1x12 combo with the stock speaker (MC90).

So as you can see, it's clearly all about the Gain and Treble. No surprises.

Also, my axe collection stays pretty much in the classic Fenders and Gibsons, and I used the Les Paul Standard for this. It has, I believe, burstbuckers in it, whatever was stock.

I've been fiddling with a Zoom recorder that I got, and wanted to put a few clips together for reference should I ever get around to that Ch2 mod (The Reeder). Unfortunately I live in an apartment right now, so the levels and playing attitude are, er, sort of attempting to respect the 98-year-old ears living above me. So the all-out crunch at real playing levels are not really represented. But I think it's pretty gainey as far as it goes. Here it is.

'RocksOff' is right about 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'...the main riff is a true and defining 'Keith Classic'. Who else would/could find such a 'charming dissonance' and have the nerve (hudspah) to leave it that way? It 'makes' the song. BTW; that came about due to his experimentations with the G-tuning. If you are tuned to G and subsequently forget that rather pertinent fact...(which Keith does on occasion) you can 'stumble and fumble' your way into all sorts of interesting riffs and chords!

I still like the counterpoint of Mick T and Keith's guitar parts best...but Keith and Ron together are certainly no slouches.

Mick Taylor's 'inconsistency' of genius...It's strange; but when people such as Mick T. set the bar rather high by occasionally doing things which others can never do...some people hold it against them if they don't henceforth do it on command!

Interesting topic we've 'stumbled and fumbled' onto...

Charles

It's not so much that Mick Taylor couldn't perform acts of guitar sorcery 'on command', but rather that he couldn't perform acts of guitar sorcery when he needed to. Keith felt that Mick's onstage playing was lackluster when compared to his studio playing. In retrospect, I agree with this. Ronnie Wood, who was (and is) a great fan of MT's, often tells a tale of having MT and his band play Ronnie's On The Beach in Miami. In Ronnie's words, 'I had to go onstage for him for some time before he would come out'. Apparently Mick's stagefright has always been a serious problem for him. I've heard numerous stories from numerous people detailing the same issue. It's sad... but true. The reality of it is this... A cucumber that hasn't been pickled is still just a cucumber. Knowhutimean?

RocksOff

I really can't say whether (Keith and Ron's explanations) which you related are basically true or not...but I can relate what I witnessed firsthand.

I was personally in attendance for numerous concerts during both the 1972 and (was it 74? or 75?) USA tours...and some of the finest guitar solos I have ever heard were on those occasions. Several times Mick T almost seemed to have gotten a hold of some of the very essence of creation and took every one there on a journey into another musical dimension! While he soloed on 'You can't Always Get What you Want' in particular; but also 'Sympathy for the Devil', 'I'm Free' and a few others I can't immediately recall... you could look out over the audiences and see that it was a shared experience...not just something that I and those around me were feeling.

Even Mr Ego himself ...the J Mick was reluctant to break the spell by coming back in too soon! At times Jagger even motioned for him to continue his solos; sometimes when Mick T seemed to be 'winding down'.

None of this personal observation necessarily nullifies what you have related...but it does seem to me that Mick Taylor was in those days a far more complex person and guitarist then the simple explanations that either Keith or Ronnie provide would suggest. I really just don't think they knew quite what to make of him!

Whatever...I would feel blessed to share a measure of Mick Taylor's inconsistencies!

Great thread...and thanks for some interesting stuff! Charles

i have really gotten into the open g tuning thing "ala Keith" lately. Finally my band of 25 years is covering Stones so it sounds good (Tumblin Dice, Happy, Brown Sugar, etc.). No wonder why it always sounded like crap - I was never in open G. Now if only Mick Taylor could solo alongside me. If you haven't played in open G yet, I highly advise you try it. Brown Sugar never tasted so good.

I believe there is an open G song or two on our MySpace page. At least one... 'Ten Year Virginia' is in Open G and a real joy to play!

www.myspace.com/thehighandlonesome

I dont think its keith on the long lead outro of can you hear me knocking, tell me if I am wrong but it sounds way to refined to be him.

about the gain on channel two, I think the advertisements for the LSC are miss leading, when I got mine I was worried about channel 2 cutting the mustard. but soon as I cranked it up I had no worries what so ever. it has plenty of butt kicking gain. I also put a eq pedal in the loop to tame the high mids that had it sounding a little dull, just barely took some out and wow, icing on the cake! I leave it on and just tuck it in the back of the cab, my secret weapon so to speak!

Latest posts

Back