MARK FIVE 25 TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jfriley said:
Check out this video for a kick *** setting on the channel 1 crunch mode.

https://youtu.be/WMXPNSvR_EE

I tried it out the other night and it blew me away. It sounds even better live than in this video. I’ve been playing on the extreme mode up till now, but this made me question that. Give it a shot.

Sounds pretty killer. Can't wait to try it myself. I too have been playing on Channel 2 for crunch, but have weaned myself off of Extreme. I think we have a tendency to want to go to the most saturated channel. But this video proves that sometimes less is more.

I dialed it in last night on my 35 and it sounded amazing. I haven't been able to make the plunge yet and change all my settings, but it 100% works. Right now I still need a clean channel, so I'm sticking with Xtreme, but **** that channel 1 Crunch!

(on xtreme I use the 10 Watt mode as it gets too loud otherwise...I'm thinking about switching to the Mark 2c or 4 modes, but bumping up to the 35 Watt mode. Clearly, Tone chasing is a disease...)

Jfriley said:
Check out this video for a kick *** setting on the channel 1 crunch mode.

https://youtu.be/WMXPNSvR_EE

I tried it out the other night and it blew me away. It sounds even better live than in this video. I’ve been playing on the extreme mode up till now, but this made me question that. Give it a shot.

Thanks man, these settings sound pretty nice! Might allow me to use Channel 2 differently.

I have been working on setting up a "silent" recording and headphone jam voicing for the blues on my V:25. It has not been too hard, but as with all things I am always tweaking. I am pretty satisfied with this one though it is probably not something others may be looking for for blues/gritty clean. In any case in case it is of use to someone I thought I would post it as it is not higher gain settings and uses Cab Clone. Most of the Cab Clone demos of the V:25 I have seen are high gain, or at least more gain than I typically use. A quick blues based piece put together to demonstrate a silent recording and jam set up using the Cab Clone feature in the V:25. Single line and chordal material. Ignore the errors.

So, this is my V:25 direct to Presonus AudioBox. No processing or effects just some reverb from the amp. I am mostly a lurker so I hope this is OK. I am not sure how to link YouTube here either.

https://youtu.be/YLp4KPkRd8k

The picture of the amp setting here. I used the 5 band as well in this case.

- The the Cab selected is the 4x12 closed.
- Clean Channel Crunch setting
- Gain 1pm, Treble 1pm, Mid 1pm, Bass 11am, Presence Noon, Master 8:30am.
- 5 Band 80 juust under line,, 240 & 750 center, 2200 just under with 6600 about 3 slider widths below.
- Guitar SG Standard 36th DZ in bridge
- Guitar Volume about 4 and tone control about 4.
- Direct from cab out to input channel 1 of the PreSonus AudioBox.
- Reverb is the amp. No effects or processing.

MESA_V25_CC_EQ.jpg

I have the gain on 1ish, treble 12, bass, mid, presence 9, 5 band (bass and mid center, last two little above center), sounds awesome , at least to me...I also have a 10 band that changes the tone. various delays, chorus, revebs and 10 band eq in fx loop.

Clean side I use fat mode using petrucci/timmons settings...I have a wampler pinnacle, friedman BE-OD, xotic SL drive, MXR distortion 3, wampler euphoia & tumnus, Boss SD-1 and donner blues drive clone ( sounds awesome, I was stunned)....I get a lot of variety for drives....I'm happy

Rob9874 said:
On a separate topic, on Channel 2, my low strings palm-muted sound real muddy. To fix it, I have to turn the bass knob all the way down. I can use the bass on the EQ and it sounds good, but wonder why I have to have the bass knob all the way down. I'm using gain around 2:00-3:00. Wonder if it's my pickup, pickup height, or if something could be wrong with the speaker. I'm playing it through a slanted 1x12 Mesa cab. Anyone else have issues with using the bass knob on Channel 2?

It's normal for the bass to seem muddy or flubby with Mark series amps. I usually keep the bass below 9 o'clock on mine. The tonestack in the Mark series comes after the first gain stage (pre distortion). When you increase the bass you are feeding a bassier signal INTO the distortion which has a tendency to create muddines.
In most amp distortion channels, the tonestack comes after the 3rd or 4th gain stage (post distortion). Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyone have Ch1 set for pedals? Kinda curious where things are set for that route as I'm having a tough time getting a decent clean and decent pedal EQ. Might just be me.

Hi everyone I have a mark v 25 and got the chance to play a mark v live. I loved the mark I mode. Is there a setting on the 25 that would get close to the mark I mode?

Tough one that.

The heavier gain, bassier settings of Extreme or Mark IV with prescence all the way down might be a good place to start.
Its a different type circuit and is more old school in feel.. But thats where if I were trying to fool the ear I'd start. The feel would be different..but the huge lows'd be there......

By the way: Got the V25 set up as follows -

V1 Tungsol 12AX7
V2 Mesa 12AT7
V3 Mesa 12AX7
V4 Mesa 12AX7
V5 Mesa 12AX7
V6 Mesa 12AT7

Absolutely ridiculous in terms of tonal quality, Powerful front end gain, shaped and sweetened by the V2 AT7, rounded down nicely for the power amp by V6 the phase inverter slot with great global uniformity tonal continuity between channels 1 and 2..extra dial headroom allowing for increased tonal shaping before the power amp.
This is the smoothest, richest most chunking tone yet, but for a One way trip to insaneville, The V1 and V6 mods only version seems to have more gain if not as much, as the Redstripe III even on IIC+ mode. But with a smooth IIC+ voicing. Sounds like an avalanche of gain. (Although its a little bit more raw than the Tungsol and 2 AT7s version.)

Either are serious game changers. Highly recommended.

Heres a bit of the '12at7 in V6 (Phase inverter)/Tungsol V1' tube lineup for ya....

No boosts used. Straight into the front of the amp. Nothing in the loop either.
Stock Flying V w/passive p'ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7epyD2QUm0E

80hz top line, 240 just below that, Mid just above bottom line, 2200 level with 240, 6600 just above middle line
Prescence at various between 11-3oclock
Treb 4 o'clock
Mid 11 o'clock
Bass 1 o'clock
Output Level 9 oclock

All three modes used. Volume of amp not really messed with from mode to mode

Yep its a right little hooligan. Truly sounds like the full amp now.
Savage yet sweet, absolutely as violent as the vid suggests.

Hahaha My neighbours are all dead now, I think.

And in footy terms thats some Cantona kick action right there to the ears' crowd member.

Markageddon said:
Heres a bit of the '12at7 in V6 (Phase inverter)/Tungsol V1' tube lineup for ya....

No boosts used. Straight into the front of the amp. Nothing in the loop either.
Stock Flying V w/passive p'ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7epyD2QUm0E

80hz top line, 240 just below that, Mid just above bottom line, 2200 level with 240, 6600 just above middle line
Prescence at various between 11-3oclock
Treb 4 o'clock
Mid 11 o'clock
Bass 1 o'clock
Output Level 9 oclock

All three modes used. Volume of amp not really messed with from mode to mode

Hey man, any chance you could elaborate on the difference between putting the AT7 in V2 and the phase inverter (V6) on the v25 (or v35 if you can speak to that)? I have an AT7 inbound... TIA!

Phase inverter 12at7 affects the amp globally on all modes and seems to make the amp tone more present and bigger yet also more vintage. It manages the signal before it hits the powerstage. But you can tell its done that to the core out of the box tone that still feel 'as was' in the attack and voicing. You definitely can notice the difference at any vol, but especially at volume. Channel gain/eq unaffected. Sounds more 3D sounding than stock.

The V2 on its own recenters the voicing of channels 1 and 2 but at a critical stage in the preamp chain which allows more gain, more dialling EQ and seems to revoice it closer to the old vintage sound (more prominently on Channel 2)...you can dial higher with bass, mids and treble at the pre stage without breakup/flub, for hairier gain settings, also the low gain sounds sound like they break up more pleasingly to my ear, also. (With more sweetness and "brannnnng!!!!")

Both chosen individually are great, but combined, its the warmest most authentic 'makes-it-sound-way-bigger-an-amp-than-it-is' sound ive heard. Luscious, 3d, vintage, diallable to exactly how you want it on the channel stages.
Presence can be dialled higher also without any unwanted frequencies being accentuated, allowing you open up the amp more in a more desirable/pleasing way.

Also key is a decent V1 tube. Like a Goldpin Tungsol 12Ax7 or Mesa SPax7. (The Tungsol feels more full rangey to me but both are excellent choices)
This will give an abundance of signal for the lower gain AT7 to deduct from and still leaving the amp soaring/walking tall.
The gain path like F1 racing hurtling at 200mph on a straight (The SPax7/Tungsol) then hurriedly slowing down for a sharp bend/chicane (AT7 effecting stage) before speeding up again after the bend keeping vital seconds shaved off the clock for the finish (12at7 then powerstage). Rather than driving round the whole track at a solid 90mph constantly. Weird analogy, but that how this feels to me.

Apologies for the late reply, didn't see this post 'til today... Hope this helps still.. The 35 definitely benefitted in the same way as the 25. (Did this in a friend's 35 for him, he was thrilled too)

Markageddon said:
Phase inverter 12at7 affects the amp globally on all modes and seems to make the amp tone more present and bigger yet also more vintage. It manages the signal before it hits the powerstage. But you can tell its done that to the core out of the box tone that still feel 'as was' in the attack and voicing. You definitely can notice the difference at any vol, but especially at volume. Channel gain/eq unaffected. Sounds more 3D sounding than stock.

The V2 on its own recenters the voicing of channels 1 and 2 but at a critical stage in the preamp chain which allows more gain, more dialling EQ and seems to revoice it closer to the old vintage sound (more prominently on Channel 2)...you can dial higher with bass, mids and treble at the pre stage without breakup/flub, for hairier gain settings, also the low gain sounds sound like they break up more pleasingly to my ear, also. (With more sweetness and "brannnnng!!!!")

Both chosen individually are great, but combined, its the warmest most authentic 'makes-it-sound-way-bigger-an-amp-than-it-is' sound ive heard. Luscious, 3d, vintage, diallable to exactly how you want it on the channel stages.
Presence can be dialled higher also without any unwanted frequencies being accentuated, allowing you open up the amp more in a more desirable/pleasing way.

Also key is a decent V1 tube. Like a Goldpin Tungsol 12Ax7 or Mesa SPax7. (The Tungsol feels more full rangey to me but both are excellent choices)
This will give an abundance of signal for the lower gain AT7 to deduct from and still leaving the amp soaring/walking tall.
The gain path like F1 racing hurtling at 200mph on a straight (The SPax7/Tungsol) then hurriedly slowing down for a sharp bend/chicane (AT7 effecting stage) before speeding up again after the bend keeping vital seconds shaved off the clock for the finish (12at7 then powerstage). Rather than driving round the whole track at a solid 90mph constantly. Weird analogy, but that how this feels to me.

Apologies for the late reply, didn't see this post 'til today... Hope this helps still.. The 35 definitely benefitted in the same way as the 25. (Did this in a friend's 35 for him, he was thrilled too)

Wow, thanks! No worries on the timeliness, I didn't get around to putting the AT7 in (V2) until Monday.

I didn't realize you had them in both V2 and the PI. Your explanation has me even more curious now, even though I've never been a tube roller. I will say, with the AT7 in V2, I found the low gain sounds in Crunch mode much more pleasant. It was pretty hard to get that edge-of-breakup tone in Crunch mode with the AX7 as it got grainy pretty quickly. With the AT7, it's much smoother where you can almost get the Fat mode tone with a little more gain (but no distortion,) to it. I found I actually had to back my mids off a bit (home playing, master around 9:30) and bring them down to about 9:00.

For channel 2, I had to bump the 80Hz slider up just a touch, but I agree with your assessment, the bass knob can be set higher before the flub. Aside from adjusting the treble and gain slightly, I didn't really tweak anything else playing in MkIV mode.

You're most welcome.

Yeah I often run like: Treble/5'0clock Bass 11-1'oclock and mid 11-2'oclock, even with high levels of gain like 5;0clock-max. for IIC+ and Extreme. Often less gain need for IV mode. Its nuts how well turning down to clean works especially after doing these even from powerhouse gain levels...!

The Phase inverter one definitely seems to affect the 'overallness' of the amp and puts it amp right up there in classic voicing mode, (if you want to get an extra tube in!)
And definitely try the Tungsol or SP12x7 in V1... make more go in the front end to begin with in a pure feel more instrument sound kinda way. More mids to affect in the chain etc. The feel improves with either of these suggestions.

But you've definitely upped your amp's game with this first decisive move. Nice one.

Markageddon said:
You're most welcome.

Yeah I often run like: Treble/5'0clock Bass 11-1'oclock and mid 11-2'oclock, even with high levels of gain like 5;0clock-max. for IIC+ and Extreme. Often less gain need for IV mode. Its nuts how well turning down to clean works especially after doing these even from powerhouse gain levels...!

The Phase inverter one definitely seems to affect the 'overallness' of the amp and puts it amp right up there in classic voicing mode, (if you want to get an extra tube in!)
And definitely try the Tungsol or SP12x7 in V1... make more go in the front end to begin with in a pure feel more instrument sound kinda way. More mids to affect in the chain etc. The feel improves with either of these suggestions.

But you've definitely upped your amp's game with this first decisive move. Nice one.

Thanks for the settings tip! Hopefully I'll have more time to play around with it tomorrow.

I think you've convinced me to to pick up the Boogie SPAX7 and another AT7 while I'm at it...

Back