Got a new cab yesterday: Mesa Recto 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
DSC05486.jpg

Roadster isn't mine.

Sounds great. I think it's a slightly older one though, as the back says "Mesa 2x12 2FB, CEL30 Power Rating 140watts", which is slightly different to the newer ones from what I can tell on the Mesa site?

Either way, hopefully it will sound great with my incoming Diezel.

Why is it that I never tire of looking at rig pictures??? Awesome!

Have you tried the 2x12 under the 4x12 and if so, which config do you like better? I have tried it both ways with recto cabs and prefer the 2x12 on the bottom, but have seen countless touring bands (Blink 182, Foo Fighters, etc.) use the 4x12 on the bottom and the 2x12 on top. I find that it is much harsher that way. The 4x12 on the bottom provides more meat and just sounds fuller.

Mark Fore said:
Why is it that I never tire of looking at rig pictures??? Awesome!

Have you tried the 2x12 under the 4x12 and if so, which config do you like better? I have tried it both ways with recto cabs and prefer the 2x12 on the bottom, but have seen countless touring bands (Blink 182, Foo Fighters, etc.) use the 4x12 on the bottom and the 2x12 on top. I find that it is much harsher that way. The 4x12 on the bottom provides more meat and just sounds fuller.

I haven't tried it the other way just yet. I will do later this week however. I'm back to running into just the Bogner at the minute. I actually bought the 2x12 to run with my incoming Diezel Einstein, in order to downsize the rig a little, but we'll see how that turns out.

Mark Fore said:
Cool! How do you like the config in the picture, sound good?

I actually posted my thoughts on another forum after playing with both for hours today...

I've been playing them all day long and I just prefer the Bogner for the tones I'm after. I'm presuming this will just be confirmed by the Einstein. This is after like 5 hours of A/Bing them, almost trying to convince myself the Boogie sounds as good if not better. I can't do it as to me, it just doesn't. The Mesa doesn't really "feel" the same as the Bogner either. Oddly, and somewhat annoyingly.

I just can't get it to sound as good to me as the Bogner. I can definitely get it in the ballpark, but I dunno, with this Roadster especially, the Bogner just sounds "better". This is after nearly 5 hours of A/Bing, as I say. The Bogner even seems to compliment the Roadster better than a Mesa cab, bizarrely.

Don't get me wrong, I actually want to prefer the Mesa. It's smaller, lighter, and I know someone interested in buying my Bogner cab for £200 more than I paid for the Mesa, which is handy, but I can't deny what I hear. Annoying I guess.

I dunno which will sound better with my incoming Einstein, but I have an idea.

As it says there, I almost don't want this to be the case, but it's what I'm hearing at the minute. I'm in no rush though, so I will decide in the coming weeks.

Latest posts

Back