GOOD BAIT !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudmurphy

Reaction score
Took the F50 (combo) out of it's case as I want to do some cleaning on the valve bases.
The amp still has the Mesa 12 AX 7 tubes in there and I notice that V2's valve is black at the head of the tube whereas the others are silver?

However when I took the chassis out I notice that written on the circuit Board are the words "Good Bait!" does anybody know anything about this?

Spud

Edit
The 12 ax 7 tubes have an aluminium shroud on them - what is the purpose? - Heat soak prevention? or just to keep them snugly in place?

The aluminum "cans" are for EMI / RFI shielding.

If the amp sounds/functions as it always has I wouldn't be concerned with the color shade of the getter flash (silvery coating at top) unless it was white/light grey. That would indicate a loss of vacuum.

Can you post a clear picture of this handwriting? It could be a Mesa employee's name.

Dom

Spudmurphy said:
Took the F50 (combo) out of it's case as I want to do some cleaning on the valve bases.
The amp still has the Mesa 12 AX 7 tubes in there and I notice that V2's valve is black at the head of the tube whereas the others are silver?

However when I took the chassis out I notice that written on the circuit Board are the words "Good Bait!" does anybody know anything about this?

Spud

Edit
The 12 ax 7 tubes have an aluminium shroud on them - what is the purpose? - Heat soak prevention? or just to keep them snugly in place?
Sure thing - have the Olympus Digi SLR charging now and will post later.
Thanks for the reply.

Here's the photos

3b3c1b0f.jpg

1b1053e1.jpg

a11ad95f.jpg

a0bd477a.jpg

e14a9333.jpg

Sometimes when something degenerates over a period of time it's difficult to say if the amps tone is somewhat compromised.

It was certainly noisy the other night when the amp was switched on.

Wow, that indeed says "GOOD BAIT" and appears to be part of the PCB silkscreen. It must be a Mesa "inside" joke.

If the color of the getter bothers you, and you think it is noise related, go ahead and change it. It will not hurt the amp, that's for sure. Those 12AX7's look like newer tubes, how old are they?

Hopefully someone else will chime in about the "GOOD BAIT".

Dom

If the tube is still working (noisy or not), then it's not a vacuum leak. Probably just a little different mixture of gases when the tube was flashed.

The "Good Bait" could be a board revision. Can't remember what amps they were, but there were different quotes on the boards to signify revision versions and dates.
:lol: Could have just been an inside joke to keep us guessing too...... :lol:

domct203 said:
Wow, that indeed says "GOOD BAIT" and appears to be part of the PCB silkscreen. It must be a Mesa "inside" joke.

If the color of the getter bothers you, and you think it is noise related, go ahead and change it. It will not hurt the amp, that's for sure. Those 12AX7's look like newer tubes, how old are they?

Hopefully someone else will chime in about the "GOOD BAIT".

Dom
Cheers Dom

I bought the amp second hand a good few years ago and use it for larger venues - 'cos it's **** loud!!
It's not bothering me in itself and I love the tone.

My mate is a professional amp tech and stocks Sovtek tubes so I can get "mates rates" on them - I guess I'll revalve the 12 ax 7's and keep the others as spares.

When one went on my Blues Junior it looked like this - and it was definitely gone!! lol
b3de4291.jpg

Mesa certainly do have a sense of humour. On the back of the amp there is a warning
"Do not expose this unit to rain, moisture or thieves" :lol:

I'm gonna check out my 2:90's gut shot right fking now :lol:

EDIT: sadly nothing, it says "PHOO DUP QO" or something on a cap but I doubt it's anything... certainly not DIS A GOOD AUTO :lol:

I actually posted a query on Mesa Boogie Facebook page and had some replies.

Regretably as I'm using the computer during my lunchtime in work, I can't get access to FB

Latest posts

Back