G-Major freezes up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslayer

Reaction score
i had a g-major that ive had for about a year and had no issues with it

i sold it and within an hour of the gentleman using it it froze up on him...

what could cause this?

heat build up inside a rack case?

static electricity?

something else?

i searched the tc electronics website and one possibility was something loose inside as well as static electricity...
something in transit?
im stumped

this is very frustrating...

i had no issues with it in the time i had it

it was sent via usps....it is insured

thanks

there is a fix! has something to do with the 2 main chips coming loose. do some searches on this board as well as the t.c. board. a user under the name of 7dyingtrees had the solution to this issue.

be the first time ive heard of it. tc themselves have told users there is nothing they can do.

Though I've not tried it myself, I did see a few posts on the TC board that claimed that the freezing was caused by one of the chips coming loose or one of the connectors and that if you open up the unit and push it in it will work as normal.
There were a bunch of people that responded saying that it fixed the problem and a couple that said it didn't. It might be worth a try.

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=275

Hi guys this is my g-major. Boogieslayer has been a great help.

I did open up the g-major and honestly the chip on the front looks a lot different in that pic than it does on this one. In the picture it's a lot bigger.

Last night I scrolled through presets for about 2 minutes straight and didn't have any problems. We'll see when I get home from work today if it does it.

So last night I was having the same problem. It worked for a little and then started freezing. It's definitely not getting too hot. I had it well ventilated.

I didn't do much with trying to push the chips in. Like I said, the one chip looks very different in mine than the pic on that other forum.

Has anyone had experience with filing insurance claims with USPS? This thing never gave Boogieslayer any problems and now it's freezing up on me quite frequently so much so that it would be impossible to use it for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. Thankfully it is insured but I have never gone through the claim process before.

Thanks for all the help so far.

As stated above, this is a very known problem with the G Major units even thogh if you ask TC Electronics they claim they don't see too many. Mine did the freeze thing, ocasionally at first then it totally froze on startup with no recovery. Lots of complaints about this on the net. Had to send mine to California to get fixed and since it was out of warranty cost me about $120.00 to get corrected but thats cheaper then a new unit. Maybe the new version will not have this problem. When they are working they are fantastic for the price, don't know of anything close. Good luck with the UPS claim, be greatfull you have this recourse since it would probably done this same thing the first time it took a good bumb.

that's strange that you say there are lots of complaints about this on the net but when I search I find one page on the TC Electronic forum about it and that's really it.

well I have had no luck on any of the tips from the other site.

It looks like if I want a working g-major I will have to pay to have this one fixed or buy another one. Hopefully everything goes through okay with the insurance claim.

I'm really having second thoughts about buying another one though.

I've owned two of these and both had freeze up problems. The second one I bought used off ebay and when it arrived it had freeze up problems right away and of course the person I bought it from said they had no problems, sent it back to them and made a claim through paypal and eventually got my money back. I also tried to fix both with the suggestions people had posted with no success. As far as finding more on the web about this issue look at Harmony Central under reviews where they have many pages of reviews on these and on most pages you will find at least one review of someone having similiar problems As I said before, these are great units for the price when they function properly, many people have also had no problems with these units. I would not be able to call these dependable for the road or gigs without a backup. Maybe thats why the pros use they G-Force instead, maybe they are more reliable. These would be fantastic for home or studio work where they don't get moved often. Mine works perfect so far after TC did the repair about three months ago but it stays home.

yes its very true that they freeze up alot....i havent heard anything bad about the g major 2 freezing yet..neways my first g major i bought in 04 i want to say...and it started freezing up pretty muh within the first 3 months..so i emailed them...and they said "well i dont know" pretty much....throughout that year i emailed them like 3 times...then 05 another 4 times..then 06 i met them in NAMM so neways i kept emailing them b/c it kept freezing but i noticed if i punched it it would start working for a while lmao....neways sometime in 08 it finally like fried or something..so i just emailed them and was cool...i was like "dude i have been emailing you since about 3 months after i bought tthis thing...have sent it in one time (forgot to mention that they had me send it in and that didnt help...they replaced something that i forget..but neways) and it still oesnt work...neways i had a HUGE cd release party/showcase coming up and they had me send it in and sent me a brand new one...and its the one i ahve been using ever since for about a year and its been PERFECT they even preset all my old custom settings for me...but now im selling it b/c i have the g major 2

Back