F Series?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce34celtic

Reaction score
Looking for something that'll handle 80s thrash (Testament,Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) up to SOME modern stuff (Lamb of God, older Nevermore). I'd also like a nice clean channel, that could do well with a chorus pedal for Metallica type clean tones. I need something crushing on high gain for metal rhythms, I'm thinking something along the lines of a boosted JCM800/mark series with a big low end punch. However, I need it to be tight and articulate, and the lead channel has to be fluid and non-fizzy, something that really cuts through.

I'm on a budget under $900, and have considered a Peavey xxx, F series, or Dc series combo. Which would be best?

For under $900 you could probably get a hold of a nice fully loaded Mark III and that would probably suite your needs better than any of the amps you mentioned. Never been a fan of the Peavey Triple XXX, but the Peavey Ultra Plus (somewhat harder to find, but usually sell really cheap, in the $300-$400 range) is amazing for that stuff. I haven't really had the chance to go for those tones out of a F series or DC series, so I can speak on those.

Fyi you might want to check out a Rectoverb as well.. maybe a Tremoverb.

The F-series are great amps - the clean channel is awesome and the gain/lead channel is very recto-ish. You should try one out and see if you like it.

i used an F-50 50 watt combo through a marshall 4x12 straight cab for years and it handled foo fighters-esq rock really well.

I recently upgraded to the roadster though as I found myself limited with the f-50 as it only has 2 channels (and the contour of course but I never used or thought it was up to much!)

i used an F-50 50 watt combo through a marshall 4x12 straight cab for years and it handled foo fighters-esq rock really well.

I recently upgraded to the roadster though as I found myself limited with the f-50 as it only has 2 channels (and the contour of course but I never used or thought it was up to much!)

Hmmmm not sure if I agree about the F-series being Recto-ish. Ive tried for the past 2 years to switch to an F-50 due to the weight of my Rectoverb but the tone of the gain channel is just not what I'm looking for. (I don't play metal). The cleans are VERY nice however.

Charlie said:
Fyi you might want to check out a Rectoverb as well.. maybe a Tremoverb.

The F-series are great amps - the clean channel is awesome and the gain/lead channel is very recto-ish. You should try one out and see if you like it.

I think so...just my opinion but I think when they voiced the pre-amp section they dialed it with more gain than the Lonestar but less than the Rectifier. Again, I've tried 4 different f-50's and they all sound the same, great cleans and pretty good distortion. To my ears the F-30 was closer to the gain sound I was looking for than the F-50 (the cleans weren't as good though)

pierce34celtic said:
Does the F series lean towards hard rock more than metal on the gain channel?

Anyone with some clips of the DC series? Also, do you find any drawbacks of the Mark III with the shared EQ?

According to Mesa's website:

"Footswitching to Contour infuses a double dose of steroids and pumps up the gain to fiery proportions producing one of the most hellacious crunch sounds around. This grinding wall of gain was inspired by our mighty Dual Rectifier® and creates a unique and luscious harmonic spread slightly different, but every bit as menacing as the Recto®."

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/F-Series/F-50/F-50.html

So when they say "inspired", do they mean that it is close or that it has the same gain as a recto? Very ambiguous.

I have also considered getting one of these for a more portable option than my Recto half-stack. Not to replace, mind you, but to use to go to a buddy's house.

pierce34celtic said:
Anyone with some clips of the DC series? Also, do you find any drawbacks of the Mark III with the shared EQ?

This guys playing is sick.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12443

There's other clips by him using various Mesa amps.

These clips are a different member but a good demonstration of the MKIII.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12472

Rectoverbs are loose like the DR's and not suited well for some of the things you suggested. Great amp though.

What's it like with the shared EQ? Can you still have a good clean tone as well as lead tone at the same time?

Don't believe it...if it did I'd own an F-50 today.
As per a Mesa tech
"The Rectoverb has more of a throaty sound than the F-50" (Mike Taylor at Mesa's words)

richey said:
According to Mesa's website:

"Footswitching to Contour infuses a double dose of steroids and pumps up the gain to fiery proportions producing one of the most hellacious crunch sounds around. This grinding wall of gain was inspired by our mighty Dual Rectifier® and creates a unique and luscious harmonic spread slightly different, but every bit as menacing as the Recto®."

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/F-Series/F-50/F-50.html

So when they say "inspired", do they mean that it is close or that it has the same gain as a recto? Very ambiguous.

I have also considered getting one of these for a more portable option than my Recto half-stack. Not to replace, mind you, but to use to go to a buddy's house.

i never really rated the f50 distortion through the combo speaker. the cleans sounded great but i always found i got wicked hard rock distortion running the f-50 combo through a cab.

pierce34celtic said:
What's it like with the shared EQ? Can you still have a good clean tone as well as lead tone at the same time?

If you get one with a GEQ (global eq, the 5 band sliders) it's very easy, even without it there are plenty of pull knobs just for the lead channel as well. The problem I had with mine (granted I didn't spend a great deal of time with it) was I could only ever get a R1 and Lead or a great R2 and Lead, but would always comprimise one of the rhythm channels, but I'm sure with enough time, there is a middle ground just waiting in there. The GEQ is assignable to either just the lead, or all the channels. The different voicings on each of the channels is big enough that it shouldn't be a problem though.

Latest posts

Back