First time Boogie buyer needing advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fronzil said:
when I plug in my BFR (pretty much the only guitar I play now), there is no tweaking. I dial it in within 20 seconds, then play.
And I am very happy you do, and that's what I do when I play the C+. no tweaking.

bossfrog said:
Well, a combo is fine for my purposes. If I went for a head, I'd be compromising on a cab to stay on budget (which could be done, I've seen used 5150 cabs go under $300 for instance). Price is a significant factor. If for instance one was to say a Mark IV would be ideal but a <whatever> is $400 less and gets you close enough, I'd seriously consider <whatever>. I'm absolutely not interested in a rack system. The separate EQs is a big deal, but not worth more than perhaps $300 to me.

Maybe you can help me rule out some of my options. Why should I avoid the F50, DC-5, or Express 5:50? I'm not saying I have any preference either way about them, only that nobody has commented on them. The only comments have been about the Marks. Is there something about them that doesn't fit my stated purposes, etc? I think I can probably take the Express off the list since its right in the same price range of the Marks, but the 5 watt mode is nice. I'm curious as to opinions on the F50 and DC-5 though.

Sorry about the slow reply, mega busy at work...

Hmm, I would definitely get EQ, I'd be lost without it and it's amazing how much they alter the tone. IMHO boogies generally do a good clean and lead tone but sometimes need help with rhythm / crunch and that's where I use the EQ (not with lead). Besides if you resell I think a Mark loaded with EQ would be easier to off load.

Ok a combo makes sense, most cost effective, you can always get a larger cab later if you need to.

As for F50, DC-5, Express 5:50, I think they're all pretty good amps (from what I've seen) but the Mark and Recto series are definitely their flag ship products (if nothing else it makes buying and selling of them easier). I wouldn't worry about 5 watts here or there though.

You've mentioned Mark IV but not Mark IIc or III. I suppose the IIC because of people wanting crazy prices for them? But the Mark III is a very similar amp to the IIC, they are different but of all the Mark amps those two are the most alike IMHO.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back