EV in LSC/LSS Ultimate Blues Setup?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesProf

Reaction score
I have been reading the recent posts about putting EV speakers in Lonestars. Ultimately, I find the LSS to be the sweeter, more articulate sounding amp, but the LSC does have more girth on the drive channel. I am also concerned about reliability issues with the LSS, my first continually blew the 5y3 and fuses. I have heard this is common experience with the LSS. As I am playing classic blues, unmic'ed, which se up should I go for?

I play John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, particularly Buddy Whittington, Clapton, Freddie King, Peter Green, etc.

Me... unmic'd... Dunno. I like the LSS, but i don't play straight blues. Our music does have alot of blues elements in it... but... if i were you i'd prolly go for the LSC. Bigger... beefier... more low end.

I"m a bluesman too. Ronnie Earl, Jimmy Vaughn, Duke Robbilard etc. I just purchased a LSS, and I love the tones and versatility. Seems to be working OK but I understand about the issues. I actually plan on an LSC maybe next year. I don't mike this one and it seems to be loud enough. I use the option out for the speaker for the extra 5 watts and a little more headroom, but understand I'll hafta use the other outs when I add another speaker. I haven't played out w/it yet but have an outdoor gig at a bike ralley late apr. they'll mike it but we'll see how it goes. Seems loud enough w/the band at practice. I'm concerned about the issues but this amp sounds so good I just gotta keep playin it.
I've played Fenders all my life ( Twins, Vibroverbs, and now a Pro concert reverb). This amp seems to cover most of the basses, although it's hard to beat a twin for clean, but I'll bet the LSC comes as close as anything could, but with more options....later...Chuck...

Try a Maverick, you lose the 5-15 watt options but the rectifier circuit is much more robust and YOU decide when to use tube or solid state rectification. A great amp for any roots music and underrated = less money. EV is a great speaker, have not tried one in my Mav but have owned several. I also like the Peavy Scorpion Plus, the Peavey Scorpion Ultra and the JBL G125 (currently in my 1-12" Mav).

The Maverick is also smaller and lighter than a Lonestar if you find a 1-12 or a short head. There are only two of the flimsy mini-switches tucked away in the back corner instead of the 9 spread all over the LSS. Those alone scared me off!

I gig my Maverick with a Motown Tribute band on a regular basis and get everything I need out of the two channels. It is very simple to dial and sounds fantastic. Just my 2 cents.

You don't mean stuff from the " FUNK BROTHERS " do ya ? I love'em. I'm closer to Memphis myself ( I like to slip n slide ever now n then ), but I can digit..... your 2 cents says a lot... I like a little chicken scratch.... plus, I know watcha mean about 2 channels....The less ya got, the more ya get out of it, at least thats what I tell my 'ol Lady... Thanks for the advice, I'm gona check it out. And you know..... just because you said Motown, I know it's in the tonal region... later ....Chuck Guitar

+1 for sixvee's post. I too use the JBL g125, a little known but huge sounding speaker for blues tones, have a pair of'em in a semi closed back 2/12. They are hard to find and worth the effort to find them.
Sixveesix turned me on to them, as well as the Maverick, a good thing.

If you aren't using a NOS 5v4 or NOS 5y3 rectifier in the LSS or getting the rec circuit factory mod done you needlessly risk having problems using current production 5y3 in LSS.

The Maverick is one saweet sounding amp for blues. Diamond in the rough, colloquially speaking, nobody knows about them compared to other Mesa amps and yes, they are slowly going up in value but are still underpriced on the used market. Mine has been set up especially for blues tones with non-mesa tubes and speakers, it competes quite well with more expensive boutique amps. Very versatile!

+1 for sixvee's post. I too use the JBL g125, a little known but huge sounding speaker for blues tones, have a pair of'em in a semi closed back 2/12. They are hard to find and worth the effort to find them.
Sixveesix turned me on to them, as well as the Maverick, a good thing.

If you aren't using a NOS 5v4 or NOS 5y3 rectifier in the LSS or getting the rec circuit factory mod done you needlessly risk having problems using current production 5y3 in LSS.

The Maverick is one saweet sounding amp for blues. Diamond in the rough, colloquially speaking, nobody knows about them compared to other Mesa amps and yes, they are slowly going up in value but are still underpriced on the used market. Mine has been set up especially for blues tones with non-mesa tubes and speakers, it competes quite well with more expensive boutique amps. Very versatile!

Thanks guys, I need all the input I can get from you blues men. My amp is really only a month old so I haven't had time to think of all the mods and tube stuff, but it is definetly in the forefront of my brain now. Mesa is a new experience for me as I am an old Fender man. But I do like the qualities of this amp. I didn't know about the maverick. The band I'm in now is not completley blues but after awhile I think I can turn these guys around, I'm the only guitar player. Sometimes all I give'em is all they get. We do some mid-60's rock, and some Muddy& some A. King & others so it's startin to gel some. I'll check on that speaker too....thanks...Chuck

Thanks guys, I need all the input I can get from you blues men. My amp is really only a month old so I haven't had time to think of all the mods and tube stuff, but it is definetly in the forefront of my brain now. Mesa is a new experience for me as I am an old Fender man. But I do like the qualities of this amp. I didn't know about the maverick. The band I'm in now is not completley blues but after awhile I think I can turn these guys around, I'm the only guitar player. Sometimes all I give'em is all they get. We do some mid-60's rock, and some Muddy& some A. King & others so it's startin to gel some. I'll check on that speaker too....thanks...Chuck

There's always my OTHER amp... the BLue Angel. Made for blues, and the blues is what it does. If you can find one... get it. (Before I do). I now have two. I love the old BA's so much I'm starting to buy them up when I find them!

Latest posts

Back