DUAL RECTIFIER TOO GRAINY!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibsonandmesa

Reaction score
I have a dual rec, and it seems so grainy. I can't get any clarity with it. I play Rock (FOO,Soundgarden,Alice, STP) and I know I can get the sound with this amp, but I just can't seem to do it. I have a PRS custom24, Lespaul, and Es-335. I have taken it to 50Watts, by removing two inner tubes, and 1 power tube. I am using the 6L6 tubes with bold power and vaccum tube setting. ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!

Try the silicon diode rectification....other than that, have your read the manual and understand how different the mesa EQ is?

gibsonandmesa said:
I have a dual rec, and it seems so grainy. I can't get any clarity with it. I play Rock (FOO,Soundgarden,Alice, STP) and I know I can get the sound with this amp, but I just can't seem to do it. I have a PRS custom24, Lespaul, and Es-335. I have taken it to 50Watts, by removing two inner tubes, and 1 power tube. I am using the 6L6 tubes with bold power and vaccum tube setting. ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!

Just to clarify.. you took out the two inner power tubes (slots 2 and 3) and one RECTIFIER tube, yes?

Post your exact settings from the front, that would be helpful to us, including channel number.

Ok, Thanks for helping. I took out the two middle power tubes 2/3 and on Rectifier tube.
My settings are: *AS READ FROM A CLOCK*
Loop ON...Loop set to 12o'clock
Channel-Setting-Presence-Master-Gain-Bass-Mid-Trebble
CH3: Modern. 2pm. 7pm. 11:30. 3. 12. 2
CH2: Modern. 4 7 9 11 11 4
Ch1:Clean 12 7 12 11 11 2

Am I totally lost?

gibsonandmesa said:
Ok, Thanks for helping. I took out the two middle power tubes 2/3 and on Rectifier tube.
My settings are: *AS READ FROM A CLOCK*
Loop ON...Loop set to 12o'clock
Channel-Setting-Presence-Master-Gain-Bass-Mid-Trebble
CH3: Modern. 2pm. 7pm. 11:30. 3. 12. 2
CH2: Modern. 4 7 9 11 11 4
Ch1:Clean 12 7 12 11 11 2

Am I totally lost?

Yeah.. if you're volume is at 7 that sucker is barely on and you're just getting preamp distortion.. It WILL sound grainy without enough volume.

You really need to hit at least 10 o clock to start cooking those power amp tubes.

Try this out on your 3rd channel on modern:
Should get you started, season to taste.

Presence: 2-3o clock
Volume: 11 o clock
Gain: 2 o clock
Bass: 2 o clock
Mid: 9 o clock
Treble: 2:30

Also, run your 2nd channel in vintage mode, it sounds WAY better to my ears anyway.

Also.. put your tubes back in until you learn how the amp works. Reducing wattage will get your post amp hotter quicker but you're losing some valuable headroom, especially in the bold setting.

This "problem" is also something I've been grappling with. I live on the third floor of an apartment complex, so I can only keep my Master around 8:45~9:00 o'clock before I risk getting noise complaints. I get awesome PMs, but I don't get the grail sound and I don't get (seems to me) a lot of variance in sound type. My settings aren't far off from the ones you've listed Plat (sans volume of course). Is there any way to get that grail tone at a somewhat reasonable volume for indoor play? I've read about Hot Plates, is that the answer I'm searching for?

akhilleus said:
This "problem" is also something I've been grappling with. I live on the third floor of an apartment complex, so I can only keep my Master around 8:45~9:00 o'clock before I risk getting noise complaints. I get awesome PMs, but I don't get the grail sound and I don't get (seems to me) a lot of variance in sound type. My settings aren't far off from the ones you've listed Plat (sans volume of course). Is there any way to get that grail tone at a somewhat reasonable volume for indoor play? I've read about Hot Plates, is that the answer I'm searching for?

Yes, it certainly is what you're searching for! :)

Without proper volume you are only getting preamp distortion which is ok but sounds a bit like a buzzsaw with mesa's stock preamp section. With sufficient volume you get power amp distortion, which is where the tone lies.

Get yourself a THD hotplate, it's worth every single penny.

A HotPlate may be the answer...but any attenuator can suck tone at its max (quietest) settings, ant pretty much take speaker break-up and cab resonance out of the picture.

Pulling out tubes...meh...takes away headroom, kills dynamics, and a 50W tube amp is still loud.

Bottom line is hi-powered tube heads are designed to be concert amps, and none of them work well at bedroom vol. Top Fuel dragsters dont have a very smooth idle either!

Try taking your rig somewhere you can let 'er rip and try this:
CH3, Modern, Bold, Tube rec
Bass noon, Mid 10:00, Treb 12:30, Pres 10:30, Gain 2:30, Ch master 11:00, Output at least 10:00

Yeah thats LOUD, but thats where the Recto shines!
Maybe a HotPlate set to "Load" (full attenuation), and run the line out to a small solid-state power amp and a single 12" speaker.

akhilleus said:
Where do you think the cheapest place to find them is? Ebay perhaps?

Probably ebay would be a good bet.

You would most likely want the 8ohm version if you use a mesa cab, it is purple in color.. there are a few different impedences with different colors.

I tried your settings, and WOW, that was my problem. Way too much preamp gain, and not enough channel volume. I used to play with a guitarist, who used a vintage jcm800. He always had it sooo loud that it basically ruined our band practices. He wouldn't turn down, because he didn't want to lose tone......To his credit, he had amazing tone. Volume does help with tone....I think I need an attenuator. I am thinking about a DR. Z Airbrake...
By the way, I just want to say thanks for posting up those settings, it was the perfect thing to get me on track!

gibsonandmesa said:
I tried your settings, and WOW, that was my problem. Way too much preamp gain, and not enough channel volume. I used to play with a guitarist, who used a vintage jcm800. He always had it sooo loud that it basically ruined our band practices. He wouldn't turn down, because he didn't want to lose tone......To his credit, he had amazing tone. Volume does help with tone....I think I need an attenuator. I am thinking about a DR. Z Airbrake...
By the way, I just want to say thanks for posting up those settings, it was the perfect thing to get me on track!

Glad it helped!

Latest posts

Back