Dual Rectifier Rev G drops volume after a while

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Blue

Reaction score
Hey, guys, my first post here.

I have a problem with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rev G amplifier. After playing on it for a while (more than an hour), the volume of the Orange channel drops suddenly, after a few seconds it recovers. Then it does this intermittently. On the RED channel I don't have this problem.

I recently changed all the tubes in the preamp. Although I thought the problem was fixed, unfortunately it came back.

I did not change the power tubes, nor the rectifier ones. I'm thinking of doing that too, although I don't think they'd drop the volume on just one channel if it was from them...

A friend suggested I should tighten the socket pins, because they turn loose after a while and especially after it heats up and dilation occurs. I did that, the problem remains.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

(I Attached an audio sample, be careful if you listen through the headphones, it starts with a low volume)
20230206_222947.jpg.35190123dd8b0c029bfb5f9d6b718aa3.jpg

Attachments

• ProblemeMesa.mp3.7e5b571f7be49cc0c997224e486451e9.mp3
    976.4 KB
Last edited:
OP, dunno if you are still out there having this problem, but I have seen it on both a rev g dual and a tverb where there's a big resistor near the PI that's starting to heat up and desolder itself and/or cause its trace to lift. It's not a hard fix but it's a pain to troubleshoot, took multiple trips to the tech in my case because it wouldn't happen unless you played the amp for a good bit. Fix was new component on longer legs to keep it off the board...

Thank you for the input. I swapped the tubes with EL34s from my Marshall and the issues are gone. I will buy a set of matched 6L6 quad,

OP, dunno if you are still out there having this problem, but I have seen it on both a rev g dual and a tverb where there's a big resistor near the PI that's starting to heat up and desolder itself and/or cause its trace to lift. It's not a hard fix but it's a pain to troubleshoot, took multiple trips to the tech in my case because it wouldn't happen unless you played the amp for a good bit. Fix was new component on longer legs to keep it off the board...
Thanks for this man,
I have a similar issue on my tverb where I need to raise the master after 20 to 40 mins and then it stabilizes.
I have to raise it by a good bit (a single digit) in order to match the previous volume.
I've never understood the reason but I've always suspected a overheating issue and this might be it!

@CoG Do you have a pic of the resistor you changed or can you identify it on the schematic that is freely available on the internet?
Thanks!

Back