do you use same brand of guitar cables in your rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeFrag

Reaction score
I use nothing but Monster cables & patches. Spendy? Yes. Worth it? I think so.

There are other good brands but if nothing else, at least their quality & should stand up to years of use. I personally like accessible barrels so I can repair (re-solder) as necessary as opposed to the shrink-wrapped ends. Switchcraft makes the best standard IMFO.

I just bought some George L's and I'm happy so far. I've used Peavey, Rapco, Roadhog, Monster, George L.

The George Ls I like so far because they're really flexible. One of my friends has mild issues with Monster Cables because they're so thick they move lighter pedals.

My effects, both in the rack and on my pedalboard, are connected with George Ls. My guitar to pedals and pedals to amp connections are Sommer Spirits.

I find the Sommers to have terrific clarity. I definitely noticed the improvement when I replace Whirlwind Leaders with the Sommers.

To my ears, the Sommers and the George Ls are very similar in their sound delivery. So, they're not the same brand, but they're sort of the same type.

I use Monster Rock from guitar to pedalboard because they seem to be indestructible and sound great. From the output of the first pedal all the way to the amp and also in the effects loop I use George L.

I personally like Planet Waves Gold Tipped instrument cables. Cheaper than Monster, sound just as good (IMO), and are also just as durable.

Mogami 2524 with switchcraft connectors. I recently overhauled all my cable, and custom built my own, so now I don't have the spaghetti factory going on behind my rack. I also shortened all the power cables to all my racks. It really made a noticable difference in the hiss and overall noise that I had before. And it's relatively cheap too.

Strategy500: Mogami 2524 with switchcraft connectors. I recently overhauled all my cable, and custom built my own, so now I don't have the spaghetti factory going on behind my rack. I also shortened all the power cables to all my racks. It really made a noticable difference in the hiss and overall noise that I had before. And it's relatively cheap too.

+1 Man. I recently switched to better cables [mogami and canare] and have noticed a change in tone - FOR THE BETTER! I was using a store brand cable from guitar to pedals and I could hear myself step on it - litterally! If you tapped the cable with your foot, it went through to the amp. That pissed me off at myself, I spend thousands of dollars on amps and guitar... and I settle for this cheap cable.... I made a diagram of my rig, and counted up what I needed and how long, then ordered my cables. I honestly believe that better cables will help your tone - especially if you need longer runs 20 foot and up.

~Matt

I use a combinations of Mogami and Belden. All the same gauges and are customized for where they fall in the signal path. I also use a 12ga speaker cable. Cables are very important to me and I invest a good amount into them as they do make a difference. Now investing $1K's into high-end cables like Pear, Acoustic Research, or Kimble seems to be more about perception than reality. I think you are really paying for the name after a certain point...

For the last year I have been using Fulltone cables and have found them to be very balanced and musical. To me, they sound much better than Monster as they are designed specifically for guitar by a guitar player.

Man you should see the can of worms i opened on another forum, just by suggesting that great cables really made a difference...

I'm not getting into it here, you're on your own pal :p

..and yes I try to use the same brand, I got Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cables and I love them.

Sounded a lot better than the Monsters to me and a third of the price.
Plus the breaker switch is hard to let go once you got used to it.

t0wser said:
..and yes I try to use the same brand, I got Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cables and I love them.

Sounded a lot better than the Monsters to me and a third of the price.
Plus the breaker switch is hard to let go once you got used to it.
i've been thinking about using one of these for gigs.. do you ever hit the breaker by accident?

irishguy977 said:
I personally like Planet Waves Gold Tipped instrument cables. Cheaper than Monster, sound just as good (IMO), and are also just as durable.

+1

I've had the same cable from my guitar to my wah for going on 4 years, and it's held up to being stepped on, ran over, dragged, kicked, thrown, blah, blah, blah....and it still works exactly like new.

I used to have a Monster cable, and it quit working after a few months under the same conditions. I also think the Planet Waves cables sound much better.

Back