Do you need a tube amp if you don't play loudly???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16490

Reaction score
I play as a hobby and sometimes get together with a friend and jam, but I don't play that loud. I don't know what decibel level I play at... loud enough that it would drown out the TV or someone talking, and loud enough to bother someone in the next room, but not even close to loud enough that a neighbor would even know I was playing. That's about as good a reference as I can give, definitely no ringing ears when I'm finished.

So please help me figure out what kind of amp I should get. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but my understanding has always been that you don't get power tube distortion until you really crank the volume on the amp, and that's not something I would ever do. I know some of the Mesa amps have the 'half power' switch or whatever it's called where you can run the amp at either 50 or 100 watts (and I thought one could be brought down to 30?), but I know even 30 watts is loud if it's cranked. I've always understood that at lower volume levels you're hearing preamp tube distortion.

So that's what I 'think' I know. I love the sound of the Rectifiers, and even a lot of the Youtube clips of people playing them at home sound decent... but I don't know what kind of volumes they're playing at when they record because it all sounds the same on my end through my speakers. I know don't want some 10 watt solid state 'practice amp' with a 6" speaker b/c we all know what they sound like, but what should I look at? Is a Mesa amp right for me, or should I look at something with a tube preamp and solid state power amp like a Marshall Valvestate? I really don't know what direction to go and could use some guidance. Thanks.

No you don't "need" an all tube amp for home jamming. I prefer it, but that's just me. I play a triple rectifier through 2 full cabs at home and wouldn't do it any other way. I just prefer the big sound of 2 full cabs, even at lower volumes. That's the great thing about rectifiers...most of their tone is due to the preamp design and you can get great sound at ANY volume. I wouldn't hesitate to get a rectifier for home jamming. You never know....you may end up getting something small and love it untill you have the opportunity to get together with a band. Then it turns out you just brough a Daisy Red Rider bb gun to war.

EWWWW to solid state amps!!!! That being said, I use a Peavey Rage 158 when I need to practice so quietly that I can hear the pick attacks on my guitar.
Should you get a tube ampl? DEFINITELY YES!!

I have been dealing with getting good tone in very volume sensitive situations for quite some time now and I've figured out a few things from this experience. You can definitely downsize a dual or single rec for these sorts of applications and it is well worth it. If you like the Mesa Rectifier series amps, get one. They are loud but you can use them to practice with a few simple and 100% reversible (within 30 seconds) mods. I suggest trying both and seeing which you like better before dropping coin on them. The single will sound good at lower volumes but you may like the meatier tone of the dual better.

1) For practice and low volume playing, get a low wattage cab. This way the speakers will sound like they are working hard at a lower volume. The Marshall 100watt 4 x 12 cab (1960ac or 1960ax) is great for this application. You can also get a Mesa Thiele 1 x 12 cab, a Mesa Stiletto 2 x 12 (which is as wide as the head) or a Mesa recto 2 x 12, just some options.

2) You can 'convert' the Dual or Single Rec to a 15 - 20watt amp by plugging in a pair of THD YellowJackets and EL-84 tubes. When running the lower wattage, you simply need to have a low wattage cab because 15watts is not enough current to drive 240watts of speakers in a 4 x 12 cab. It will sound constipated no matter how hard you run the amp. This method preserves the tone of the high gain head fairly well while downsizing it considerably. You will run your tube configuration something like this: R _ Y_ _ Y (rectifier tube) (rectifier tube) (Power) (power) (power) (Power). If you run a dual with tubes missing, you have to run a push pull pair of power tubes (outside or inside) and then the cab has to have twice the ohmage as the speaker output you run the head out of.

In my opinion, the 100watt marshall 4 x 12 is great both for practicing and for gigging with your buddies. You'll probably find the same with the recto 2 x 12 although I bet the marshall one sounds bigger. The greenbacks are loose speakers which is good for a very open sound at low volumes. You'll have to try this all for yourself and see what you like though, since this is my own opinion on how I like to run my gear. (I recently built a thiele 2 x 12 to use for low to medium volume situations) I can run it as a 1 x 12 and I have two speaker options to choose from or I can run both speakers as a 2 x 12.

3) If you find you start gigging more, get a high power 4 x 12 like a Marshall 1960 av or a Mesa Recto or Stiletto cab. You can use that to unleash the true fury of the high gain head!!

The new mark v can be ran at 10 watts and the express series amps can be switched to 5 watts so power tube distortion at bedroom volumes can be had with a boogie amp. Try one of these out.

Solid State Amps perfectly reproduce, amplify and process sound from an instrument to meet a player's specifications.

Tube amps ARE musical instruments that a player can manipulate to enhance the sound produced by their instrument.

1w or 150w it does not matter. Tube is a dynamic and fluid, difficult, hot, fragile and expensive but NEVER processed :D

Dude, check out the Express series. They are fantastic tube amps and the 5 Watt mode really allows for power tube saturation at "bedroom" levels. I have the 5:50 and enjoy both wattage modes at low volumes, it sounds good no matter what IMO

floaty83 said:
Dude, check out the Express series. They are fantastic tube amps and the 5 Watt mode really allows for power tube saturation at "bedroom" levels. I have the 5:50 and enjoy both wattage modes at low volumes, it sounds good no matter what IMO

... and don't forget the old school 2x EL-84 Mesa amps like the Studio .22, Studio Caliber/DC-2, Subway, F-30. These are all really great amps that will behave themselves in a suburban setting.

Get you one of these. I played one this weekend and it sounded freaking awesome!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-5H-and-HT-110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack-489746-i1435429.gc

I realize it's not boogie, but this was easily the best low wattage tube amp I have ever heard.

It will do everything from Skynrd to Metallica and sound great doing it. And that is plugged straight in.

As you cranked it, it got thicker and retained it's tightness.

Not that loud at all. In fact, it won't keep up with a drummer.

Sounded wicked.

I think I am going to pick one up for my home studio.

Hey, thanks for all the replies, guys. Nice to come home from work and see some interest in my topic. Here are my comments and questions about what I've read so far...

Getting a low wattage cab makes sense, and I kind of figured that. Here's what I don't understand though... I looked up the Marshall 1960ac/ax cabs and see they have four 25 watt greenbacks in them (100 watts for the cab), so why are the Mesa cabs with the vintage 30's listed as 240 watts instead of 120? Is the 240 peak and 120 is RMS?

Converting a Rectifier head down to 15-20 watts sounds like a decent option, and I understand the explanation about needing a low wattage cab if the head is configured for low wattage output b/c 15 watts isn't enough to push the speakers in a 4x12... but I have a question about this. Say you have 2 Rectifier heads, one converted to 15 watts and the other is stock at 100. The numbers you're about to read are just arbitrary, but say you set the volume of the 15 watt head to "6" and the volume of the 100 watt head to "1" and they sound equally loud.... are they sending the same current into the speaker load?

One thing I left out in my first post was what sound I was looking for. I want a heavy rhythm sound, like B & C tuned Dream Theater stuff. I'm not even thinking about lead tones. Anyway, it was suggested that I look at some other Mesa amps. I only know about the Rectifier line, the others are a mystery to me. Do people use the other Mesa amps for really heavy rhythm stuff?

The Rectifier series aren't designed to utilize power tube distortion; they get their distorted tone from the preamp. Sure, a nearly cranked Recto is a beautiful thing, but you can still get a good sound at lower volumes - IMHO.

What you'll really need to think about is the type of cab you're going to use. In my experience, 1x12 cabs are always too thin and small for a significantly distorted sound. For a lower volume, I'd go with a Dual Recto dropped to 50w, plugged into a 2x12. 50w is still really loud when turned up, but what you'll gain is low end clarity and the tone of the real thing.

I haven't had much success with EL84s because I think they take away more than they give. Bottom line, if it were me, and I needed to play quietly but still have the Recto tone I love, I'd do a Dual at 50w into a 2x12. I might even take it a step further and use a power attenuator. The one thing I would really try to do though, is use low powered speakers. They'll give you the most kick at low volumes, as opposed to s really stiff speaker that only wakes up when you hit it with 150w!

Chugga-Chugga said:
Hey, thanks for all the replies, guys. Nice to come home from work and see some interest in my topic. Here are my comments and questions about what I've read so far...

Getting a low wattage cab makes sense, and I kind of figured that. Here's what I don't understand though... I looked up the Marshall 1960ac/ax cabs and see they have four 25 watt greenbacks in them (100 watts for the cab), so why are the Mesa cabs with the vintage 30's listed as 240 watts instead of 120? Is the 240 peak and 120 is RMS?

'Vintage 30' is a misleading name because these speakers actually have a 60watt handling capacity. (it used to be 70watts like in my mesa cab, which is a 100 watt head) I think they are called Vintage 30s because Celestion tried to make a new speaker for high gain heads that had the same warmth as the old 30 watt speakers. (I'm guessing G12H - 30s) The result of this was the v30. These speakers are also surprisingly tight which means they need a lot of gas to respond in a musical fashion, especially when running a quartet of them. The good news is that the low levels of speaker distortion and aggressive high end make them fantastic for high gain application such as a punishing metal tone. The bad news is that they sound constipated at any reasonable sound level.

Converting a Rectifier head down to 15-20 watts sounds like a decent option, and I understand the explanation about needing a low wattage cab if the head is configured for low wattage output b/c 15 watts isn't enough to push the speakers in a 4x12... but I have a question about this. Say you have 2 Rectifier heads, one converted to 15 watts and the other is stock at 100. The numbers you're about to read are just arbitrary, but say you set the volume of the 15 watt head to "6" and the volume of the 100 watt head to "1" and they sound equally loud.... are they sending the same current into the speaker load?

Well, people have commented a lot about the headroom of higher power amps and I think this really addresses this query. I personally have not looked into the numbers but as a guitarist, a 50watt amp has a very different 'feel' from a 100 watt or 150watt head. At a similar volume, the more powerful heads simply have more jam than the less powerful ones. The attacks are more bold, percussive, and aggressive. Like I said, the one way to replicate this with a less powerful amp is to run it through less powerful speakers because when loudspeakers are performing optimally, it adds a lot to the tone. It gives the illusion of punch because it seems there is less speaker to move. A good analogy is horsepower vs torque. A 300hp four cylinder engine can make a little honda civic go fast but to tow a heavy load or drive a larger pickup truck, you need an 5.0 litre 8 cylinder engine instead. Both engines are capable of a lot of work, the larger engine at a low RPM and the small one at a high RPM but ultimately, the larger engine with more torque can pull a bigger load. This basically applies to speakers because a speaker with a higher wattage rating need more signal to move them in the same way you need torque to move more weight. Note this is not talking about speaker resistance but wattage rating. Correct me if I'm wrong but the ohm rating relates to current and wattage is related to the magnitude of fluctuation between positive and negative charges in the current.

Guitar amps are a lot like any other amp aside from the fact that guitar amps shape tone and linear output amps simply reproduce it. Linear output amps Signal -> amp -> LOUDER Signal. Guitar amp: 'siGNal' -> amp -> LOUDER "S1gn4L", 'Got that?'. In most high gain heads, the tone is shaped in the preamp and then the power amp makes it louder. Contrary to old amp designs, the preamp adds much of the distortion and the power amp makes it louder. Because of this, there is a lot of percussive oomph available to a guitar playing a rig like this. This happens because the attack of the guitar sound is much louder than the decay so there is a peak in volume each time you strum.

As far as I understand headroom, it basically means that an amp with lots of wattage can peak at a much higher power than is required during regular operation so the percussive elements of playing are much more pronounced. Clipping is the point at which an amp can no longer make a linear representation of the input signal because the signal is bigger than what the output on the amp can handle. Basically, an amp running at 15watts turned up to 6 is most likely clipping out the power section of the amp. By contrast, a 100watt High Gain amp at one is nowhere near clipping out the power section of the amp on a gain channel. This means a louder signal is not cut off at its apex in a bigger amp, which translates as a much more powerful feeling while playing.

As for the 'low wattage mod', it isn't so much a mod as it is a plugin. It takes all of 30 seconds or less to 'reverse' it and you can swap back an forth as necessary. The yellow jackets are a little sleeve that sit in the tube slots and you plug low wattage into these. The yellow jackets have a circuit that basically convert the plate current to something EL-84s can handle. http://www.thdelectronics.com/pdf/yj.pdf

One thing I left out in my first post was what sound I was looking for. I want a heavy rhythm sound, like B & C tuned Dream Theater stuff. I'm not even thinking about lead tones. Anyway, it was suggested that I look at some other Mesa amps. I only know about the Rectifier line, the others are a mystery to me. Do people use the other Mesa amps for really heavy rhythm stuff?

Rectifiers have a great rhythm tone and they really are pros at handling the low tunings but you can also look at the mark series amps such as the Mark IV or Mark V as well.

TheMagicEight said:
The Rectifier series aren't designed to utilize power tube distortion; they get their distorted tone from the preamp. Sure, a nearly cranked Recto is a beautiful thing, but you can still get a good sound at lower volumes - IMHO.

Awesome point. It just depends how low of a volume you need. You have to at least saturate the preamp section of the Dual to get a decent sound in my experience and in some situations, even that is too loud.

What you'll really need to think about is the type of cab you're going to use. In my experience, 1x12 cabs are always too thin and small for a significantly distorted sound. For a lower volume, I'd go with a Dual Recto dropped to 50w, plugged into a 2x12. 50w is still really loud when turned up, but what you'll gain is low end clarity and the tone of the real thing.

Good point. I dislike 1 x 12s too except for the thiele design. A 2 x 12 with low wattage speakers such as a couple of greenbacks is a great solution. Just keep in mind that the speaker distortion can mudify things for a super high gain sound.

I haven't had much success with EL84s because I think they take away more than they give. Bottom line, if it were me, and I needed to play quietly but still have the Recto tone I love, I'd do a Dual at 50w into a 2x12. I might even take it a step further and use a power attenuator. The one thing I would really try to do though, is use low powered speakers. They'll give you the most kick at low volumes, as opposed to s really stiff speaker that only wakes up when you hit it with 150w!

I completely agree with your comment about EL84s to a point; they absolutely do not work with a high wattage 4 x 12 because they simply can't put out enough oomph without involving the power section of the amp in a big way. I find they sounded simply terrible with my Standard Rectocab but when I put my head with the yellow jackets through a 100watt marshall cab, it sounds amazing and at surprisingly low volumes. The 50watt Dual setup is also amazing but believe it or not, I have been in situations where sound guys complain that is TOO LOUD! You only get about a 3db decrease in volume when you half the power of an amp. This difference can be replicated when switching from a 100db/watt/metre speaker to a 97db/watt/metre speaker. (V30 or G12H to a G12T 75 or a G12M for instance)
For practice and volume sensitive situations this can be a deficient solution and instead, sometimes a 1 x 12 with an amp running at 15watts is what is necessary to get a decent tone and maintain the peace. It is really what you need that is important. (Think apartment vs home here) Also, the el84s do affect tone. If you want super tight and aggressive metal, they can take away from that. (mostly because of the tonal characteristics of the low wattage speakers available) The clean on a Yellow Jacketed Dual itself improves immensely, taking on the characteristic of a Vox. The gain sounds more vintage and 'Marshally', even if it is still huge and punishing with the right settings on the amp. Perhaps it could be compared to a Tiny Terror but the tone circuit is distinctly 'Mesa-ish'.

It should be mentioned that the perceived volume of a 10watt amp is half as loud as a 100watt amp, given that the speakers and guitar are the same.

YellowJacket said:
I completely agree with your comment about EL84s to a point; they absolutely do not work with a high wattage 4 x 12 because they simply can't put out enough oomph without involving the power section of the amp in a big way. I find they sounded simply terrible with my Standard Rectocab but when I put my head with the yellow jackets through a 100watt marshall cab, it sounds amazing and at surprisingly low volumes. The 50watt Dual setup is also amazing but believe it or not, I have been in situations where sound guys complain that is TOO LOUD! You only get about a 3db decrease in volume when you half the power of an amp. This difference can be replicated when switching from a 100db/watt/metre speaker to a 97db/watt/metre speaker. (V30 or G12H to a G12T 75 or a G12M for instance)
For practice and volume sensitive situations this can be a deficient solution and instead, sometimes a 1 x 12 with an amp running at 15watts is what is necessary to get a decent tone and maintain the peace. It is really what you need that is important. (Think apartment vs home here) Also, the el84s do affect tone. If you want super tight and aggressive metal, they can take away from that. (mostly because of the tonal characteristics of the low wattage speakers available) The clean on a Yellow Jacketed Dual itself improves immensely, taking on the characteristic of a Vox. The gain sounds more vintage and 'Marshally', even if it is still huge and punishing with the right settings on the amp. Perhaps it could be compared to a Tiny Terror but the tone circuit is distinctly 'Mesa-ish'.

It should be mentioned that the perceived volume of a 10watt amp is half as loud as a 100watt amp, given that the speakers and guitar are the same.
I agree that a 50w amp is very close to a 100w in volume. Used in combination with a less efficient speaker, you could probably get some great results, but even still, it would be loud!

I'd be interested to hear a Dual with the Yellow Jackets into a 2x12 loaded with low power speakers, and compare it to the same setup, but with a 50w 6L6 setup. I think you're spot on with the gain sounding more vintage, and I think that would be an awesome sound! However, for metal I'd imagine even the 6L6s turned down may be the winner, especially for the quintessential Recto tone -

TheMagicEight said:
YellowJacket said:

I agree that a 50w amp is very close to a 100w in volume. Used in combination with a less efficient speaker, you could probably get some great results, but even still, it would be loud!

I'd be interested to hear a Dual with the Yellow Jackets into a 2x12 loaded with low power speakers, and compare it to the same setup, but with a 50w 6L6 setup. I think you're spot on with the gain sounding more vintage, and I think that would be an awesome sound! However, for metal I'd imagine even the 6L6s turned down may be the winner, especially for the quintessential Recto tone -

Well, the test may depend more on speaker and guitar choice than amplifier choice. The huge trade off here is the fact that v30s are high efficiency (high power) speakers and they have a timbre very suitable to metal. They have a warm sound and a tight cone which is very suitable to high gain situations but they are also very VERY loud! A G12T 75 can also handle a lot of power but this model is a lower efficiency speaker so they don't put out as much volume per watt. They also have a grindier sound with what some people find a very scratchy high end. (A huge difference in tone) By comparison, the G12m is low wattage and low efficiency and it has a creamy sound which really isn't suitable for metal in my mind. There is so much speaker distortion that the sound will get muddy with too much gain and won't be thick, tight, and Defined as is suitable to metal. Back off the gain, however, and the tone cleans up, yielding a fantastically creamy rock tone!

This is the biggest drawback to the sound of El-84s, the fact that they are limited in how much wattage they push which limits the possible speaker combinations in an enclosure. Really, if you want more than a 1 x 12 running with el84s you are limited to low wattage speakers and these speakers don't have a timbre suitable to metal, at least in my mind. I'd imagine if we compromise and run a Dual with two Yellow Jackets, cranking it up through a Thiele 1 x 12 with a v30, it would be the most metal sound one could get out of a 'class a' circuit. You'd just have to pair it with a suitable axe. The trouble is this: If you are attempting to get the lowest possible volume with good tone, you completely defeat the purpose of the Yellow Jackets in the first place by running them with a v30. With this amp speaker combination, the rig will be almost as loud as a 50watt head through a 100watt Marshall 4 x 12, even if the former doesn't sound quite as big. If you have some volume to play with and are trying to get the most metal tone at a lower volume than a halfstack with v30s, The Yellow Jacket + Thiele 1 x 12 may work really nicely. I'd hazard a guess that 6L6s running with G12ms or G12T-75s in a 2 x 12 won't yield as metal a tone as the former setup. The 6L6s into the same Thiele 1 x 12 would probably be an even more desirable sound but louder. Really, it is a question of what are you willing to give up for the sake of volume and tone.

For me, the issue comes down to loudness. I have spent years searching for a proper rig that has an acceptable tone at low volumes at least to my ear. (I want to be able to hear my pick because these are the levels that are required sometimes) The question is this: Do I run the lowest possible power setting on my amp with the lowest wattage and least efficient speaker in hopes that the amp will actually sound like it is working at bedroom levels? Do I do this if maybe I don't prefer the sound of the tubes and speakers I am using? Does this setup sound worse than running the Dual at 50watts with 6L6s and a 2 x 12 loaded with v30s at a similar volume? Is there a purpose in owning a quarter stack if one can never even turn it up enough for it to function correctly?

More great info, thanks. Another point has been brought up that had completely slipped my mind - speaker sensitivity. In the days when I was big into home stereo (before surround sound mega-channel home receivers became popular), I was always looking at speaker sensitivity specs. That's when I learned that a receiver's output power wasn't the only spec you had to look at, you needed to know how sensitive the speakers were that you'd be driving with it. So you could have a 100 watt/ch receiver driving a pair of speakers with an 88-91 dB sensitivity rating and it wouldn't be as loud as a 30 watt/ch receiver driving a pair of corner loaded Klipschorns with their 100+ dB sensitivity. So it's not just lower power speaker I'm looking for, but also for speakers that are on the less sensitive side. For whatever reason I hadn't even thought about this until it was brought up here.

Another issue is no local Mesa dealer, so whatever I end up getting is going to be the result of "how it sounds on paper." I definitely want speakers that are ideal for the punishing metal tone that was described, but if the V30's are high sensitivity then there's clearly an issue there. I live alone and don't have to worry about bothering anyone but myself, but I'm just not into volumes that are loud enough to tear down walls. I really would like to stand in front of a cranked full stack and blast out some power chords just for the experience, but I mean that in the same way that I think it'd be interesting to go bungie jumping... once.

What about the option that was mentioned of using a power attenuator with a 2x12 V30 cab? Those things vary in price. I've read to stay away from the Scholz Power Soak. The only other ones I've heard of are the Marshall Power Brake and the THD Hotplate, but knowing their names is as much as I know about them.

What kind of guitars being used has been mentioned. I have 3, nothing special. An old Kramer Focus 3000 with an EMG89 in the bridge tuned to B, a Music Yo Kramer Striker with their quad-rail pickups tuned to E, and a 7-string Schecter Blackjack with real Seymore Duncans in it (as opposed to the 'designed by' ones).

Another Q: no one has mentioned a Roadster... why not?

I don't know what low volume means to you but be warned, you definitely have to run some gas through v30s for them to start to respond. The cone is stiff so the speakers sound constipated at low volumes. I am definitely not a big fan of this effect. As far as I understand, Roadsters are great but more $$$s than the vanilla rectos.

I suggest you go over into the 'Rigs and Tones' forum and listen to some sound clips. That will give you a much better of what the different rigs sound like. If you like the sound of G12T 75s, these are great speakers because they have a lower sensitivity, looser cone, but still a high power handling capability. Kind of one way to deal with the constipation. If you simply cannot bear to part with v30s, a thiele 1 x 12 cab with a v30 might be exactly what you need. If all the power from the amp goes through one speaker, it has no choice but to 'wake up' sooner. The theile design is basically a tuned and front ported cab which is optimized for a huge bass response. The result is that the enclosure sounds much bigger than it really is. The cleans are warm and open while the gain tone is still very open and thumpy. I built a thiele 2 x 12 and I have to say, it sounds huge almost like a 4 x 12. The sound is different though so if you want a halfstack, get a halfstack.

I've never used a power attenuator so I can't comment on them but I have heard a lot of varied feedback about them. Some people love them and others hate them. As far as I understand, when you really start to suck a lot of signal is when the tone starts to become compromised. They are apparently great to take the 'edge' off the loudness of an amp though.

My Mesa Nomad 55 2X12 has separate gain and master for each of its three channels, and then it has an over-all master volume that controls the volume on all channels to the same degree. Several other Mesa amps have this over-all master as well. Using this over-all master, I am able to adjust all three channels to "performance volume", then turn the volume down for practice without much change in tone character -- be it clean, crunch, or scream. To me, a tube amp with this set up is perfect, as I can set it up the way I want it, then use a single knob to lower and raise the volume as needed. I can practice at home with volumes so low that I don't bother folks in the next room watching TV. Or I can play with a band and blow the roof off -- all with a twist of a single knob.

I have never played on a SS amp that I liked at all. The cleans are too sterile, and the overdrive is too much like a buzz saw -- and also lacks character. I've tried a bunch, as they are lighter and much more portable than my Boogie. All I find and play through would make me want to quit playing for good -- were that the only amp I had.

Tube pre amps and solid state power amp combinations (and vice versa) don't cut it either, IMO. Mesa makes 1X12 amps that aren't very large. I wish they weighed less, but a lighter cab diminishes tone quality, I have found. You need a tube amp, to avoid buying a succession of amps as you progress. And a tube amp will help you progress more rapidly, IMO. And, an amp with that over-all master volume knob would be just great for you to "tone it down" and till keep your tone.

One amp that fits this bill is the Nomad 45 1X12, and there surely are other Mesa models that do. Buy used, and maybe it won't break the bank. My Nomad 55 2X12 was $600 in mint condition.

Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber +

I have a '91 model and it sounds amazing at all levels, bedroom included. I had an '89 and I hated it in comparison to my '91 - not sure the progression of improvements made to the .50 Cal+ series but thought I'd throw that in as an FYI.

#2121313 said:
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber +

I have a '91 model and it sounds amazing at all levels, bedroom included.
Will it do a brutal metal rhythm sound?

Back