Difference between Dual Caliber and Studio 22 Series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyck7

Reaction score
Is there any difference soundwise between the Dual Caliber, say, DC5 and the Studio .22?

i think the 22 is like a DC2.. it uses 2 EL 84's in the power section, would probably sound more like a DC3 which uses 4 EL84's, I believe the DC5 uses either EL34's or 6V6's in the power section, it would probably have somewhat of a different sound. Am i right??

The DC5 uses 2 6L6 tubes.
The DC series lead channel is voiced more like the rectifier series (but smoother) whereas the caliber series has more of a Mark series tone.

Hmmm I'm trying to figure out which to get. It's between either the DC5 and the Studio .22 and the .50 Caliber. I need to get these questions verified:

Does the Dual Caliber series sound the same as the .50 Caliber?
Right now, I know the only differences are separate EQs for the channels.

Does the Studio Series sound the same as the Caliber Series? Since the DC5 is run on 6l6 powertubes, what is the difference in sound between a el84 driven Studio .22?

The sound I'm looking for is basically Meshuggah. On the album None I know they used .50 Calibers. I really like this sound, but I heard a soundclip of the Studio .22 and it had the same feel as the .50 Caliber, like really focused and tight low end with really nice mids.

Any help would be appreciated.

They are different.
I had a DC-5 combo about 10 years ago. It was my first Mesa amp, The clean/crunch channel is voiced like the Mark series. The clean channel is good, very clean and it has a pull "crunch" knob which makes it very similar to the rhythm 2 channel on the Mark IV.
The lead channel is, like I said, more voiced like the recto´s, but a bit smoother. It was very dark and thick sounding, but I felt that it was a bit too compressed for me. It has tons of gain, but it got too compressed as you turn it up. It kind of made every guitar sound similar and I thought it lacked a bit of dynamics. It ends up sounding too soft when the gain is cranked. It was good, but not great.
The graphic Eq was as useful as ever.

I have played a studio.22 and a caliber.50+ briefly and I felt it was more for me. Very tight and warm but with a good bite too. It sounds more like the old Mark series amps. And it´s great for a Metallica or Dream Theater sound and like you said, Meshuggah used it (they have used recto´s too) so it good for that kind of sound.
It´s not as versatile as the DC series because of the shared gain knob (and eq), which makes it hard to get a good clean sound at the same time as a heavily distorted sound. But for heavy gain sounds I prefered the old caliber series to the DC series, perhaps because I prefer the Mark series to the rectos. Make sure it has the graphic EQ though, it makes the amp much meaner.

Both are good, but for just a great distorted sound, I would get the caliber.
If you want versatility, the DC is better.

Great info! I am currently looking for a studio, but I really want a .22+ or a studio that has the graphic eq, as I feel that will afford me some more versatile options if I'm in a live gigging scenario (since I can set up the graphic eq and have it set to only come in on the lead channel).

If anyone sees a graphic eq studio pop up, please let me know. And how much should I expect to pay for one?

And if anyone has a comprehensive Mesa model comparison chart, that would be awesome. I'm confused about the difference in families between the following. Which are Mark-like, and which are recto-like? Which are the same amp?

DC-2
Studio Caliber DC-2
Studio Caliber
Studio .22(+)
Studio Series

Thanks,
Diego

Any amp with the DC (dual caliber) name has the recto voiced lead channel. It has two separete channels and two rows of knobs. I think the DC-2 lacked the graphic eq (I think it had a "contour" switch). These amps were made in the 90´s.

The studio.22 and the caliber.50 are the older amps, with 2 channels with combined gain and eq and a single row of knobs. The "+" versions were the refinement of these amps. I have seen some studio.22 amps without the eq and some with (all .50´s that I´ve seen has it).

I could be wrong , but I don´t think there was a model called just studio. There is the studio preamp, of course. I believe there was just the .22 and the .50 and the "+" versions.

Of the DC series there was the DC-2, DC-3, DC-5 and the DC-10.

The + versions were the same I think except for the extra "Lead Master" knob, which controlled the volume of the lead channel.

They changed the powertubes on the .50 from 4 EL84 to 2 6L6 in the "+" convertion too

Hm, great info. Now I have one last question... Studio .22(+) seem hard to come by, especially with the graphic eq. However, .50 Calibers seem more common, and many (all?) have the graphic eq.

In terms of size and sound, how do the two compare? Is the .50 cal heavier or bigger than the studio? They're both 1x12 so I can't imagine why one would be bigger.

I'm looking for a small Mesa to practice with, play small gigs, and jam with friends. I'm worried that 50w will be too much to be able to push the amp to make good sounds in these settings, but I also want to be able to find one and pay a fair price for it.

Thanks!

I think all Caliber.50 amps have the wide body chassi. And the Studio.22 use the small chassi, so I would guess that the .50 is heavier.

From what I can remember I thought that they both sounded good at lower volumes.

good luck finding one.

Bullen said:
I think all Caliber.50 amps have the wide body chassi. And the Studio.22 use the small chassi, so I would guess that the .50 is heavier.
I agree. I think the Studio .22 combo or head is the same size of Mark Series common small chassis. I built my friend an enclosure to house his Mark III. It housed my Studio .22 chassis too.

Don't mean to confuse things, but there actually is an amp called "Studio Series"...from what I understand, it was the precursor to the "Studio .22". I've got one (it says "Studio Series" on the front), and it's basically the same as the .22--two EL84's, five 12AX7's, graphic EQ, effects loop. I love mine; the thing can get really freaking loud and crunchy, and the graphic EQ gives you alot of sound options. I don't know much about the recto sound, but if it's that kind of "modern" metal sound, I don't think this amp can do it.
The only "drawback" is that the gain and EQ are shared by the channels, but I don't find this to be a big problem...really depends on what you're trying do (extreme distortion to extreme clean, forget it). Of course, the graphic EQ can be used so that it's only turned on when in the lead channel, like the other Boogies.
Oh, I paid about $400 for mine; it came with a Celestion V30.

Take it easy.

Tom

Bullen said:
I could be wrong , but I don´t think there was a model called just studio. There is the studio preamp, of course. I believe there was just the .22 and the .50 and the "+" versions.

Of the DC series there was the DC-2, DC-3, DC-5 and the DC-10.

I stand corrected.

Now that you mentioned it, I have seen the "studio" amp on e-bay, it must have slipped my mind.

Back