Dual Rectifier characterizations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to consider is the size of the amp.

Here is the Badlander left, Roadster (bottom) and MWDR top. Cabinets are the Mesa Rectifier Standard slant front 412 cabs.

20201210_125309.jpg

The size of the MWDR is the same length as the roadster but not as deep. It will fit on a vertical 212 cabinet but the amp in general is wider than the V212 cab. When space is limited, the V212 has a much smaller footprint. I can fit 4 cabs in the same space as three 412 cabs will take up. I know most people only use one amp. I have been running 4 amps at the same time. Not at bedroom level either. I only bring this up to reveal the sizing issue. Much easier to grab two V212 cabs, set them on their side and get it in the back of the SUV, 2 amps and a few guitars. I cannot fit the 412 cabs on their side, but I can fit one on its back, does not leave much room for the amp and other gear. Sure the V212 cab is only two speakers, it is capable for gigs and for practice at home. The 412 cabs will sound louder than the v212. the 212 will have more loudness than a 112 combo of the same power rating. The two amps on the outside below are the Badlander 100W. In the middle is the Mark VII and JP2C which are more compact. They weigh in about the same. The Mark V90 head is the same width as the Badlander. The head shell design of the Badlander is common to the Triple Crown but with a different face plate. There may be some Dual Rectifier models that are combo amps. Usually a 212 version. Those weigh about as much as the 412 cabinet. Close to 100 Lbs (+/- 30 Lbs). I got hooked running a stereo rig so I thought going a full quad would be something to adopt.

20230729_173311.jpg

When it comes to used gear, you can get some good deals on the Rectifiers and even the 412 cabs.

Another thing to consider is the size of the amp.

Sick gear.

I just spent about an hour researching rectifiers. I think I might not want to go that way.

They do have a great sound. But part of that is, that sound was all over various albums in the 90s and I think I want to go a different route.

Also, the couple of videos I watched talked about sag and taking a while for notes to bloom.

I then watched two videos on the Mark 5 25. I really think that's what I need to set my eyes on. It's got a ton of voices, and it attenuates to 10W.

I think that could be my next amp.

Do not let the word SAG miss lead you. All amps will do that. Mark amps will too. Hit a good strong power chord and you get a subtle amount of SAG. that is a tube amp characteristic. Rectifier amps when using the tube tracking (means that the power supply is using the tube rectifier diodes) will respond a little slower than a silicon diode rectifier. I do not want to write a book on the subject but it is more related to response time coupled with the voltage drop you get when using the tube rectifier vs the silicon diodes. What is not described that many overlook is the complex harmonics you get when you couple the tube tracking with spongy mode. The MWDR is king for that effect. I have explored that in many ways and began to like it more and more.

I would not rule out the Mark V:25, then there is the Mark V:35 which has two extra power tubes. Both of those amps run the Dyna-Watt power. Not sure if they go full Class A mode at the 10W power setting or is it just a difference between pentode and triode power modes.

I would also look at the Badlander. It is more than what many have focused on. Even the 50W combo version would be cool. If you watch this all the way through, I have to say the BAD sounds like the content of this video. This person is using a BAD 50 combo into a different cabinet. I believe the combo has the Celestion Cream back speaker (G12M65), it is a little brighter than the G12H75.

If you want something in the 50W range that can be used with alternate tubes like the 6V6 for a 22W alternative, the TC50 is the best way to go. With the EL34, it has a good balanced vintage tone. 6V6 runs the same bias as the EL34 but sounds really good. It can also run the 6L6 power tubes too. It will have the most power with the EL34 tubes. Clean channel is more like a Vox/Plexi and the two gain channels are very close to the Marshal Silver Jubilee. I have a Marshall reissue Silver Jubilee 2555x 100W and the surprise was how close the Mesa TC100, TC50 are to it. The Royal Atlantic is a heavy monster in combo form, but it has the better built in attenuator as it serves well for various levels of power tube saturation (depends on the power tubes used to actually appreciate it ).

TC series and the Badlander amps do have some similar traits to the Mark amps in some ways. One being more vintage sounding than the other.

As for a Mark amp, you probably could get a really good deal on the Mark V90 as that also has a 10W power mode. Mark V:25 and the Mark V:35 are voiced differently from the Mark V90. I personally have not played through the V:25 or the V:35 so not sure what to expect with those amps.
I hate it when I start sounding like a Mesa sales person. I do not work for Mesa. I am an electrical engineer for an HVAC equipment company. I also do Mechanical engineering and firmware development for the projects I work on. Would I rather sell guitar amps, sure. I think that is what I will do when I retire. If I am not talking about Mesa, it then shifts over to Strymon effects or plugging Sweetwater as that is my resource for my Mesa gear. I live in the east cost of NC so there are no Mesa suppliers near me that are less than 100 miles away. I can only relate to what I found impressive or if I hate it I will not hold back on how much I dislike something. There is one Mesa I hate the most. No point in bringing that up. If you do go the used gear route, I highly recommend taking the chance to play through it first. The only risk is when it is used, you have no clue if the amp was modified, altered, or just not worth paying for. I have one lemon out of the amps I own. I am still disturbed about it. Why I still have it is questionable.

If you keep your search going, sometimes you get a hard to refuse deal on a Mark VII. Even the Badlander can be found at a reasonable price in the used market. Be weary of the inflated prices on some of the older Mesa amps. They skyrocketed during the Covid pandemic and have yet to slump down to normal. No way would I pay $20k for a Mark IIC+, there is no point to that.

Latest posts

Back