Schecter Sun Valley Exotic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
This is part an old NGD and a more recent NGD. My first black limba guitar was a Carvin Bolt C. I really like that instrument a lot. Sort of had the itch to try something different and found the Schecter Sun Valley Exotic. At the time I decided to buy one, I was undecided between the ziricote top or just black limba. I bought the ziricote version. Sure, it is a thin veneer but that is fine with me. Was uncertain about the wenge neck though. I did not pay much attention to the spec in full details except for the nut width, 1.625 compared to the 1.687 which is what I am more used too. Right out of the box, it was a good instrument, needed some minor adjustments for the string height. Also wanted to swap out the trem arm assembly for a Red Bishop which is what I typically do with any FR bridge. I must have forgotten about the stainless steel frets. Not many guitars in this price point have that fret wire. Most are just nickel silver so they can ding easily and wear at areas you use most. I did recently look at Schecter's website to get more information, neck is reinforced with graphite which I desire to have as that is also a feature with Charvel and Carvin (now Kiesel). So here is the first one, then the NGD will follow. When I decided to change the press in arm and the guitar strings, I also took the liberty to try out a set of Bare Knuckle pickups I had on hand. They are the Juggernaut set. Since I went direct, I wanted covered pickups but with all poles exposed. I had those in a Carvin CT624C but they were not a good fit for the guitar, too bright with the mahogany body/neck and maple top. At least they fit into the existing cutouts for the pickups in the pick guard. Just perfect for the Black Limba body too. this axe spent some time in its coffin, so I finally dug it out and realized it was much better and very playable for someone like me who prefers a wider nut width. The difference of 0.062" should not make a difference, right? Yeah, it does. However, after getting it out and playing it again was like having a NGD. So this is the old NGD. I never took the plastic film off of the back cover. I will eventually.

20240922_103439.jpg

20240922_102931.jpg

What this axe did was fuel some desire to get the other one. So, here is the NGD part. Changed the arm assembly when I changed the strings. Those stock pickups are something else. I still have the originals from the other guitar so I could make use of them in this one. However, I like these at the moment. Talk about some interesting pickups. Sweet.

20240922_102017.jpg

20240922_102051.jpg

20240922_102110.jpg

20240922_102130.jpg

I also like the side luminary dots. Those are a nice feature to have. This is the 4th black limba guitar I now have. The one that hooked me on black limba was this one:

20240922_103721.jpg

20240922_103618.jpg

That fueled the need to get another, but a 7 string, baritone scale. It is a headless maple neck though so more tone influence is due to the maple part. the body wings are black limba. Also first for zebra wood fretboard too.

20240922_104043.jpg

My last comment, I really dig the Schecter guitars just as much as I do the Charvel, Kiesel, and Carvin guitars. A little different but quality of materials and workmanship are about the same. Not as expensive as the Carvin or Kiesels when ordering direct as they are all custom builds. These are the only Schecter guitars I have for now. They are heavy, just as heavy as the green Carvin one. Almost weighs as much as the swamp ash Warmoth superstrat I built a few years ago. (y) (y) on the Schecter guitars. Was not all that sure I would like them as much as I do as the neck is a bit narrow for me. I do not even notice the difference. I did with the EVH Wolfgang though. Still have that as well.

Back