• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Did you ever get scammed? What happened?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LnTh

Reaction score
I thought this thread could fit in here better than off topic since it's about online shopping.

As some of you know, I bought a Roadster almost a week ago. The guy I've bought it from was answering my questions right away before I bought and paid for the roadster. He promised tracking # when he ships it.
After I paid he stopped emailing.

I emailed several times till then. Never accused him of anything. Just told him I'm worried and wanted to know what's up. He never replied. I started a dispute on paypal. Just as a precaution. When you start a dispute, your emails go through paypal. They don't get in between in anyway. I was gonna leave it on dispute till he responds.

Then today I did some research. Googled his name, email. Found out a forum that he's a member of. Googled his moniker on google and found even more forums that he spends time in. In one of those forums, I've found out that he's been active after I've paid. In fact, last time he logged in was 11:00pm EST tonight. (2:30 hours ago) I couldn't send a private message cause I think you have to pay to become a full member..

Anyway so I changed the dispute to a claim. Now paypal is investigating. They say if seller doesn't respond till DEC 13th (10 days?! WTF man.. It's not like he's gonna send a response via regular postal mail :roll: ) I will win the case. But what's gonna happen when I finally win it after 15 days I paid?

I'll tell you.. Paypal's gonna warn him to payback (since he probably transferred all the money to his bank and Paypal can't touch his bank without authorization) and threaten him to cancel his paypal/ebay account. He won't respond again and paypal will cancel his accounts. In return they're gonna tell me congrats, you won the case and you are covered for $200 :roll: 200 dollars out of 1550 dollars. What a bunch of bull crap. Thanks paypal!

So anyway. Life sucks. I've busted my *** to save that money. and it's all gone now. Probably won't ever get it back. WTF do I pay all the fees to Paypal if they're not gonna cover me when I need it. **** that... It's like car insurance... All crooks if you ask me.

So anything like this happen to you before? Please speak from experience if you wanna give your opinion about my case. I need solid facts and real events that happened to you so I can prepare myself accordingly..

Thanks for reading...

I'm sorry about what has happened and the very same thing happened to me at the start of the year and I lost $1200 on a guitar and all I received was a busted 15 year old VCR :evil:
I tried everything ebay did not help me at all and paypal gave me back $200 minus $25 for their case fee so unless your a power seller paypal and ebay unfortunately do not want to know you. It is a shame people exist like that but I can only let you know that I have never had any worries since that deal. And I have bought many items since and I usually only ever buy from americans. They are fabulous to deal with and like most of us here are decent loyal and good people.

I really wish you the best and I believe strongly what goes around comes around so good luck

Bobs_Boogie_Hooked said:
I'm sorry about what has happened and the very same thing happened to me at the start of the year and I lost $1200 on a guitar and all I received was a busted 15 year old VCR :evil:
I tried everything ebay did not help me at all and paypal gave me back $200 minus $25 for their case fee so unless your a power seller paypal and ebay unfortunately do not want to know you. It is a shame people exist like that but I can only let you know that I have never had any worries since that deal. And I have bought many items since and I usually only ever buy from americans. They are fabulous to deal with and like most of us here are decent loyal and good people.

I really wish you the best and I believe strongly what goes around comes around so good luck
That sucks. I bet same thing will happen to me. I'll do everything in my power to get my money back but if I can't get my money back, I'll at least try to go after this guy legally. Paypal couldn't make it easier for scumbags like these to get away with theft... I guess we're the dumb ones not stealing any morey while we can so easily... Something's fucked up here.

LnTh said:
I thought this thread could fit in here better than off topic since it's about online shopping.

As some of you know, I bought a Roadster almost a week ago. The guy I've bought it from was answering my questions right away before I bought and paid for the roadster. He promised tracking # when he ships it.

I emailed several times till then. Never accused him of anything. Just told him I'm worried and wanted to know what's up. He never replied. I started a dispute on paypal. Just as a precaution. When you start a dispute, your emails go through paypal. They don't get in between in anyway. I was gonna leave it on dispute till he responds.

Then today I did some research. Googled his name, email. Found out a forum that he's a member of. Googled his moniker on google and found even more forums that he spends time in. In one of those forums, I've found out that he's been active after I've paid. In fact, last time he logged in was 11:00pm EST tonight. (2:30 hours ago) I couldn't send a private message cause I think you have to pay to become a full member..

Anyway so I changed the dispute to a claim. Now paypal is investigating. They say if seller doesn't respond till DEC 13th (10 days?! WTF man.. It's not like he's gonna send a response via regular postal mail :roll: ) I will win the case. But what's gonna happen when I finally win it after 15 days I paid?

I'll tell you.. Paypal's gonna warn him to payback (since he probably transferred all the money to his bank and Paypal can't touch his bank without authorization) and threaten him to cancel his paypal/ebay account. He won't respond again and paypal will cancel his accounts. In return they're gonna tell me congrats, you won the case and you are covered for $200 :roll: 200 dollars out of 1550 dollars. What a bunch of bull crap. Thanks paypal!

So anyway. Life sucks. I've busted my *** to save that money. and it's all gone now. Probably won't ever get it back. WTF do I pay all the fees to Paypal if they're not gonna cover me when I need it. f%&# that... It's like car insurance... All crooks if you ask me.

So anything like this happen to you before? Please speak from experience if you wanna give your opinion about my case. I need solid facts and real events that happened to you so I can prepare myself accordingly..

Thanks for reading...

Take him to small claims court, bro. Ebay and paypal are legally binding documents...plus you have all his info.

talk to a lawyer, or call his local police
failing that, get a couple boys, drive to his house, and extract your money from his hide
i reccommend rubber hoses, as they bruise internally, and cue-balls in tubesocks as they are absolutely devestating :D

yeh I agree it's best to act today and not tomorrow with this mate as time is so crucial. Do something today and you never know you may get back your money, I hope you do. I have no idea what the numbers would be but I wonder how many criminals would be on ebay trying to scam people each day? I reckon at least 10% so something needs to be improved big time. Or pehaps a newer secure trade website is open now and slowy building in members?

I just couldn't live with myself knowing I have stolen from another person so perhaps he/she may have a heart and decide to give you back the money. But again there may some freak accident or the seller is in hospital and has not replied cos this is known to happen sometimes.

The threat of a "pesonal visit" did the trick for me. I've been in your shoes, and it has made me a much more cautious ebay shopper. It could be worse, did you see the Wood & Wicker $3000 C+ that is covered up to $200 by paypal on the Boogie Classifieds. Talk about rolling the dice :shock: .

Bobs_Boogie_Hooked said:
And I have bought many items since and I usually only ever buy from americans. They are fabulous to deal with and like most of us here are decent loyal and good people.

sorry but this sounds racist as it can gets . . . :x

i never had any problem dealing with Chineses, Japaneses, North Americans, Canadians, Mexicans or Italians . . .

is not where you where born that makes you a good person or not.

fwiw, the only time that i was almost scamed was from a legitime Detroit, USA born citizen . . .

LnTh said:

Just ask good ol' KAGE to make him a visit . . . :wink:

and yes, sorry to hear about that my good HC Brother :(

Did you file a claim with your credit card company? They should be able to refund the whole amount and then go after the guy. Call them ASAP.

Oh, where is the guy located? I'll be happy to go with you on a "personal visit" if he's on my side of the country. :twisted:

Seems I skipped a few details. He's in Canada, Montreal. I don't think the police would take me seriously before paypal decides on the case. Once paypal thinks I'm right, then I could go to the police. My beef is with Paypal retards who give 10 days to reply to a friggin email when I have proof that he's online all day everyday...

I can't contact my credit card company cause I don't have a credit card. It's a debit card. I'm an international student so I can't get a credit card unless I start working with a social security number, which I'm not.

Maybe debit card would work too though who knows. I might call my bank.

Definitely call your bank. They should be able to do something. Who issued the card? Does it have a Visa logo or anything on it?

The card is mastercard Citibank. I got it from US. So yeah they might do something.

I doubt that this is a customs/delay issue. The guy has been online on ufck.org/forums everyday after I paid for the amp. He never responded to my e-mails though. I've sent like 6. No response to any of these while he checks those forums everyday.

He promised me a tracking number after he sends the amp. I didn't receive that either.

I just called paypal again to tell them that he's basically gonna get away with my money if given 10 days. Stupid ***** doesn't help of course and after 15 minutes of me pwning her with simple logic, she gives up and just goes in a loop saying "is there anything else i can help you with today"..

**** this bullshit. Paypal to me is a bigger crook than anyone else who steals 1.5k everyday on ebay.

gts said:
When did you buy it (date)?
What's his ID on ufck.org/forums? (and ebay).

maybe if a few of us contact him he might get the hint.
I'm hesitant to give his info right now cause it would only make me the bad guy and he's not found guilty of anything yet. you know what i mean?

I paid for it on 28th. It hasn't been a week yet but it's enough to put pieces together. I just thought the earlier acted on it, the better.

Paypal says if he didn't transfer the money to his bank account yet (I highly doubt it.. that's why I'm not being optimistic about getting my money back) they will hold it until the claim is resolved and pay me back if I'm right..

But like I said. I highly doubt that he's dumb enough to hold it on his paypal account.

I appreciate the offer though. Let's see how it plays out first. I just wanna officially "win" the case first. If I don't get paid in full. I'll go to plan B *wink**wink*

Did you call Mastercard of your bank?

If you didn't call Mastercard, do so right away! Explain the situation and they should be able to do something.

jtb226 said:
Did you call Mastercard of your bank?

If you didn't call Mastercard, do so right away! Explain the situation and they should be able to do something.
I called Citibank. Should I call Mastercard?

Yeah, definitely call Mastercard. I can't believe Citbank wouldnt' do anything?!? wtf. I'm sticking with Visa.

jtb226 said:
Yeah, definitely call Mastercard. I can't believe Citbank wouldnt' do anything?!? wtf. I'm sticking with Visa.
They do something when you didn't authorize man.
I authorized the purchase. That's why I can't do **** about it.
Same with mastercard. I looked at their website. Only way you can dispute is when you didn't authorize payment.

I don't think I should lie and say "i didn't authorize this payment"

Hmmm...you still should give them a call and explain the situation. They should be able to do something. If nothing else, as soon as Paypal says he's guilty, call his local police department and give them all his info. Call yours too. I'm not sure how that sort of thing works in Canada though.

Back