Did NAMM just come and go?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Were there ANY cool amps introduced? I like the new Dean guitars, but that's like the only thing I saw. What else is new, besides Gibson most likely downgrading and defiling their line of guitars so that teeny emo girls can afford a lesser goddess or BFG, even though the BFG seems kiiinda cool. Any updates though?

No big news? wow, I wanted a MKV, oh well, i don't have any money right now.

There was zero indication of a Mark V. I don't know why everybody talks about it. We'll know when they tell us.

phyrexia said:
There was zero indication of a Mark V. I don't know why everybody talks about it. We'll know when they tell us.

Agree, it's a bit silly. From the Mesa side, I would have to think the business case for spending R&D on a Mark V would involve understanding how many more Vs they'll sell in a year vs. IVs. I can't imagine them selling a lot more Vs than IVs. They haven't touched the IV in 14 years? More if you consider the original launch of the IV-A.

To me, there is basically two directions a V would have to take...

(a) Minor upgrade. In this case I question whether it makes business sense for the reasons above.

(b) Major change, probably involving a significantly different sound. But in this case I would argue they could probably make more $ by branding a new line of amp (see Stiletto, Lonestar, Express, etc) vs. an upgrade to a 20+ yr old brand.

Anyway, yes, we'll know when they tell us. 8)

i have to call mike b tomorrow anyway...i'll ask him about the mark V rumors.

personally, i think its all wishfull thinking.
i mean they still haven't actually discontinued the mark IV, like they supposidly were going to like 3 years ago.

what more do you realisticly want in an amp, than what the mark IV has?
ok, i know, 2 seperate 5 bands, solo controls for every channel, reverb for every channel, probably an fx loop for every channel. 1,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,60,75,80,100,150 watt power switch, built in glory hole on the combos, etc.

really, the mark IV still holds its own after 15+ years of being basicly unchanged... (yeah they changed the hardwired power cord to detachable at the expensive of the rear power jack...which i'm not a huge fan of, but you can't please em all.

i really think the mark IV can please most musical crowds all at once depending on the cab you run it through and the settings.

Moot said:
Does that mean there's no Mark V yet?
I was really hoping for one!
I guess I'll just go buy something else, then.

As I understand it you can still buy a Mark IV :wink:

I can attest to that! Returned a bummed Stiletto Ace Combo that was having odd issues and not sounding well (did complete tube swapout and back and transformer was clicking and the amp was super noisy), and picked up a brand new out of the box Mark IV! I was shocked to find my store had gotten it in the brief two weeks I had the Ace. They still have a new head. Sat down and knew I wanted the M4 after 10 mins of being the first to play it. I realized that even if I had the Ace repaired and waited however long it would have taken, it wasn't my sound after all. Love the three channels and maybe I can put my tube screamer away in favor of Channel 2. I'm hoping with the potential addition of an extension cab (everyone seems to speak highly of the Theile one), it'll be all I need, ever!

No new product = no GAS = no money spent. I considered this the best NAMM ever :lol:

I have to chuckle about the Mark V. That hype was created here and was never real.

ja22y said:
No new product = no GAS = no money spent. I considered this the best NAMM ever :lol:
Well, really, that's the end result and often why products change for the sake of changing, even if it's just the package. Consumers thrive on the new and shinny. In the end, no new products == no market growth or even loss due to stagnation.

Having said that, this sheep was prepared to shell out for a Mark V if it it was, in fact, an enhanced Mark IV. So, for me, no Mark V == no spending on Boogie stuff or spending it elsewhere.

good point about what all can be done for the Mark V. Why does it have to follow a Mark-name though? It seems like they want Mesa to make a new Mark for the sole purpose of making a Mark-V? I don't get that. Maybe I'm missing something but I have yet to see anything else that you could add to a Mark IV. I think if something had legitimate reason or room for advancing, then they would pursue it, otherwise, let R&D do what they do best. Mesa could've easily kept on strictly with a Mark series in the early nineties but decided to branch out and try this new "Recto" thing and seeing as just about everyone has one, I'd say the recto has turned out to be a great contribution to creativity and the music we love. I don't know too much Mesa as I'm waiting on my first Mesa purchase to come in (GrRrRr to snail mail...), but I'm just curious why everyone is set on this Mark-V and no one has explained it yet...

EMGguitarist said:
good point about what all can be done for the Mark V. Why does it have to follow a Mark-name though? It seems like they want Mesa to make a new Mark for the sole purpose of making a Mark-V? I don't get that. Maybe I'm missing something but I have yet to see anything else that you could add to a Mark IV. I think if something had legitimate reason or room for advancing, then they would pursue it, otherwise, let R&D do what they do best. Mesa could've easily kept on strictly with a Mark series in the early nineties but decided to branch out and try this new "Recto" thing and seeing as just about everyone has one, I'd say the recto has turned out to be a great contribution to creativity and the music we love. I don't know too much Mesa as I'm waiting on my first Mesa purchase to come in (GrRrRr to snail mail...), but I'm just curious why everyone is set on this Mark-V and no one has explained it yet...

No one has explained it because they don't really know anything about it. :lol:

People would like to see one because it would be "new" as someone else above suggested. Eye candy. But that's the reason from a consumer perspective. Once the "new" part wears off, there has to be some substance behind the marketing pitch.

So that gets to your question of what else might they add? I have no idea. I can't think of anything. Sure, they could tweak a few things, but I can't see how that makes business sense for Mesa. I'd have to see the current unit run rates of their products, the gross margins they are making on the different amps, and the unit forecasts for any new product concepts to make an intelligent comment.

Now, could it happen? Sure. If they did a Mark V my guess (and it's speculation at best) would be that it's positioned as some kind of "back to our roots" message. "A modern influence on a tried and true vintage sound." Or something similar.

But I would have to think there is more money to be had in other areas. If we look at (a) the competitive offerings (against which Mesa could gain share) and (b) the trends in guitar sounds, what are the areas mesa should strive to invest in?

I can think of a couple...

(1) Low wattage. It's clearly a trend. Yes, they have the LSS. And they did update the LSC. I would add an update for the Stillettos. Not sure it makes sense on a Recto.

(2) Low(er) cost. Though i'm not sure this makes sense as a strategy for Mesa. But I bet they could take some share in the $500-$900 range if they built a product for that space. They would probably have to brand it such that it doesn't tarnish the high-end Mesa brand (like Gibson positions Ephiphone these days).

They could add tube rectification to the MKIV That would improve that amp a lot. They could also make it a true 3 channel amp by separating the two rhythm tone controls. Put the Lonestar reverb circuit into it.... Modernize the look a bit and you guys might forget the MKIV ever existed!

JimAnsell said:
what more do you realisticly want in an amp, than what the mark IV has? ok, i know, 2 seperate 5 bands, solo controls for every channel, reverb for every channel, probably an fx loop for every channel. 1,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,60,75,80,100,150 watt power switch, built in glory hole on the combos, etc.

LMMFAO!

"I'd go above 10% for that"

-Nice guy Eddie

Evolution . Mark I - II - III & IV (B&C's +, etc) . They've been building amps for nearly 40 years and yes in all the R&D over those 40 years they've learned things . There are breakthroughs and eventually they have enough to further along a certain model in this case the MarK series . Sit back watch and wait .

Barry said:
Evolution . Mark I - II - III & IV (B&C's +, etc) . They've been building amps for nearly 40 years and yes in all the R&D over those 40 years they've learned things . There are breakthroughs and eventually they have enough to further along a certain model in this case the MarK series . Sit back watch and wait .

We don't have a choice - we've got to wait. 8)

Just seems weird they would develop a line of amps for 20 years ('72-'93), then stop, then restart after 15 years of inactivity. Could happen, just seems odd.

Esp when in the 15 years since they stopped innovating the Mark series they have introduced so many other amps. Rectos, Maverick, Blue Angle, Nomads, F series, Lonestars, Stilletos, Express Series, etc.

That's all. I for one will line up to test a Mark V if one ever appears. But I can't believe it's likely to happen. Perhaps it'll be a pleasant surprise. :D

hahaha ya know what's funny everyone is that I was being sarcastic with my second post after starting this thread thanking whoever it was for telling me the mark V in fact didn't come out. I actually wanted to know if anyone knew of anything cool that came out at NAMM? ya know, the world is bigger than mark V!

Back