DC-3 Vs Mark I reissue or Mark 4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falconer

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a boogie; I'm mainly a blues player with some rock as well (no metal/grunge). I've played through a new Mark 1 and Mark 4, and like them both, but the DC 3 interests me, too. I will mainly be using it at home and very small gigs, so I don't need a tone of power, but I'm a tone junkie. :)
I like the DC3 and Mark 4 because of the silent feature that the Mark 1 doesn't have.
The Mark 1 sounds pretty good on 60 watt/tweed at low volumes. Haven't found a DC-3 to try yet, though.
The lower prices of the DC 3 are attractive, too. ;-)
I'm curious if anyone has compared them and can speak to the differences in sound and tone between the Marks and the DC3...
Thanks!

I'd say buy the Mark IV used and then cut the power down. The tones I get from mine are really sweet but I also can dial up some seriously gainy brutal distortion that is tighter than anything else out there. I am about to get the 6V6s to further cut the power down.

I own a DC-3, and have tried both the Mark I and the Mark IV. (I also own an F-50, and have owned a studio .22 (an awesome amp in its own right) and a .50 caliber plus).

For the money, you simply can NOT beat the DC-3, and at the very least you owe it to yourself to check one out if you possibly can.

Here's the comparison. The Mark IV is the flagship amp for your style of playing, there's no doubt about it. It wails, is infinitely tweakable (if that's your bag), and can handle whatever you need. It's got the graphic e.q, and if well maintained will hold value very well. That said, it's heavy as hell and is loud as hell. It's also expensive as hell. But in terms of performance, it's a world class amp.

The Mark I is NOT a channel switching amp. Both channels in isolation are awesome in terms of nailing the traditional Boogie tone. It is the archetypal no-nonsense boogie. But it has no e/q., and without the channel switching capabilities, it's not a highly versatile amp. Not too expensive if you get a used reissue. Also loud as hell, and you will definitely have heads turning with people wondering how the hell that tiny box is making so much noise.

THe DC-3 is a 35 watt 2-channel, channel switchable amp with the EQ. It's insanely versatile, sound INCREDIBLE at bedroom levels, and will even do the job in small to mid-sized rooms, and do the job without sounding like a small amp. Great clean channel, assignable e.q (which lets you engage in both clean or drive or overdrive only), and as much overdrive as you could possibly need if you are a blues and rock player. It runs on EL84's which have a special magic. The amp can sound like a Vox on steroids, or can nail the boogie wail no problem. Right now people are letting these amps go at ridiculously low prices sometimes. If you are a true tone junkie, you definitely owe it to yourself to try one of these amps out. If and when you do, just try playing this thing with cean channel master at 5 and the overall master at 5, and you will not believe it's only 35 watts. You won't be able to stand in the same room as the amp with the gain channel dialed in at those levels. But bring the overall master down to somewhere between 2 and 4, and you will really appreciate what this amp is cabable of doing. For the money, I don't think you'll find anything close. IT also has the direct out for recording and the speaker mute function which is cool. But with any of these amps, if you want to really capture the magic, you need to record it with a mic.

That's my opinion. Hope it helps. But please do yourself a favor and play test the DC-3. You won't regret it.

I gotta agree, try the DC3. I've got a MK IV A short head and the DC3 Combo. Still using my DC3 as my main rig. I'm using the Theile cab that came with the MK IV as a speaker out on the DC.... sounds incredible. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot on the MK IV, maybe a retube will get me there. In the mean time, the DC rocks!!!

I have a DC-3 as well, and I agree with what's been said so far, although I've never tried the other amps mentioned. I put JJ's in mine and it improved the clean channel, particularly the reverb. Although, the lead channel doesn't sound quite as aggressive as it used to with the JJs. My favorite sound it the clean channel with the gain around 7 or 8. It just gets a great bluesy overdriven tone.

I put JJ's in mine and it improved the clean channel, particularly the reverb. Although, the lead channel doesn't sound quite as aggressive as it used to with the JJs.

I did the same thing, but I used an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the V2 spot.

That will give you tons more gain in the Lead channel.

Well, I bought the DC3 I was looking at. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to this little gem!

Congrats. Once it arrives, and you've spent a little time with it, let us know what your impressions are. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That is truly a great amp.

If you don't like the tone, maybe the tubes are old. I put a set of JJ High-Gains in mine from Eurotubes and it made a world of difference.

When I got mine, it still had the original tubes in it, and they were shot.

I have five Mesas, including a DC-3 and a Mark IV. The great thing is using the DC-3 for small clubs, and letting the Mark IV rip on bigger stages. And when I want to level city blocks and perform mass sterilizations--I have my Mark III Coliseum half-stack!

The point is that, it is a good idea to have more than one amp, to cover different sized venues.

Bill

Boogie Bill said:
And when I want to level city blocks and perform mass sterilizations--I have my Mark III Coliseum half-stack!
Bill

Yep, that would do it... Anyway, I currently use a MKIV for everything, it covers gigs well (any size) and also still has that capability of sounding great at bedroom levels. That said, I owned a DC3 back when they first came out and loved it. It was a great sounding and versitile little amp and still had enough volume for anything I wanted to do with it. You can't go wrong with any of the amps you're looking at, however you'll have to work to get versitility from a MKI. Good sounds aren't a problem, but they can really be a one trick pony.

Boogie Bill said:
... And when I want to level city blocks and perform mass sterilizations--I have my Mark III Coliseum half-stack!
Bill
Yeah, I know what you mean! Here's mine Mark IIB Class A/B (not no Simul Class) 175 watts shear power! Look at them sextet of Sylvania STR415 power tubes!
MarkIIB_300Series.jpg

Back