Dating my Boogie/Ev Cab & Repair Questions (pics inside)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
First I picked up this used Boogie Cab from the local Craig's List. It's the top one. I've been looking for another now on the cheap for quite some time to go with my Thiele to have a mini stack for my DC3.
DC3stack.jpg

Ev22.jpg

It's an open back cab. It's got an Ev in it with the black heat sink. The only markings on it are the 79195 stamped on the cone (The same numbers are stamped on my thiele Ev) and 836 ink stamped on the mag.
Ev23.jpg

I have no idea how old the cab is. I'm guessing early 80's??? The hole/screen in the back of the magnet is a lot shallower than my OEM 12L that's in the Thiele too. Is this a Ev12L as well?

Also there is a cut in the cone
Ev2rip4.jpg

Ev2rip.jpg

It's as if someone took a razor blade and cut it. There is NO material missing and believe it or not the speaker still sounds great. I would like to try and repair the cut before I send it out for a recone. Like I said it's a clean cut. What would be the best thing to seal the cut on both sides of the cone? I've read a couple of other threads on reconing but couldn't find a real definite answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have other pictures if they are needed. Thanks 8) Robert

GTS,

Thank you so much for the quik and very informed instructions. I'm going to head over to the hardware store and pick up some rubber cement and elmers today. I'll try and patch it up tonight

I just got the cab last week for $100. I knew that the grill was ripped but didn't bother to check out the cone. I was so stoked to see the Ev inside the back of the cab when I picked it up that I didn't even notice the cut until I got it home. That's still a good deal as far as I'm concerned. I've only got $225 invested in both this cab and the Thiele.

I'm still curious how old the half back cab is. The Thiele is pretty old too. It's kind of a transition period Thiele I believe. It's got the old badge but the leather corners. I thought it was real cool that both of them ended up with the same style badge logos. I seriously have been looking for a good deal on a second cab for 2 years after aquiring the Thiele. I know mine aren't the pretiest cabs but I didn't by them to look at, I bought them to play and have a beast of a small gigging rig! I'm so excited about having the two Ev's in a closed and ported config. Can't wait to fire them both up together!

Thanks again. Maybe I can post some before and after photos of the repair.

Robert

Elmers works...

..But I use speaker repair cement. It is designed for what you need.

Latest posts

Back