Combos and Rattling Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm91

Reaction score
Since I've seen mention of this whenever someone asks benefits of getting a head over a combo, has anyone tried using tube dampeners seen here:

MediumDamper.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/VACUUM-TUBE-AMP...ryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had an amp with those on the tubes but I don't think that it had anything to do with tube rattle. You can get tube rattle with a head too. It's a ***** to get rid of and has a lot to do with placement of the amp. Ultimately, I had to get new tubes.

camsna said:
In my experience - they're voodoo.
Absolutely! In almost 40 years of playing and over 20years servicing amps,I have never seen a case of a combo rattling an otherwise good tube to death.On preamp tubes these dampers can can control some microphonics to some degree.Save your money.

In Mesa's older manuals they said to put rubber bands on noisy tubes.

Another option is to get o-rings from a hardware store.

Don said:
I Mesa's older manuals they said to put rubber bands on noisy tubes.

It looks like those are o-rings from a hardware store, or at least nice silicon ones from a speed shop.

Hey wouldn't plain rubber o-rings melt to the tube though?

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
Don said:
I Mesa's older manuals they said to put rubber bands on noisy tubes.

Onion rings? 8)

even better,make cheese stuffed onion rings...and see it melt all over tubes. Now then u will get some cheesy sweet tone.

We can cook food in the amp to go along with the beer that gets warm on top of the amp!

I don't think regular o-rings would melt. They might dry out and crack after a while.
Silcone o-rings might last longer.

I thought most of the time it was the filament in the tube rattling anyway, and as such there's no hope. fact of life.

Think it is more related to the plate structure rattling,anyway the only cure I know of is new tubes.It is possible the damping effect of the rings might quiet a mild case,but the damping is on the glass,not the actual rattling component,so I dont think it would be that effective.

Latest posts

Back