buying a new Mark IV questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinweaver

Reaction score
rabies said:
I've read some threads on here about the footswitch and how it apparently attaches to the back of the short or long head but the cable does not disconnect from the footswitch like it does on the RK.

Anybody have any preference over the short or long head? Why?
Just a quick answer...
I have no probs with the footswitch cable. You can't stow it away in the head, since there's no room. Is it perfect? No, I'd prefer it if it would be detacheable, but it's no big deal. I use a velcro strip to keep the cable rolled up. The footswitch itself is mounted so that during transport it protects the power tubes, pretty neat concept.

I have a Mark 4B short head. If you plan on using Thiele's (I use 2), it fits perfectly on top. The medium head will be too wide. Mind you, there is no long head.

I carry my foot switch in a separate bag. The design they have is terrible with the cable being nondetachable.

On the other hand, it doesn't bother me to carry it in a bag - it makes more sense because the head weighs less and if someone scoops your bag or your head you still have the $200+ footswitch or vice versa.

Hey mate.. well the R2 of the mk iv has alot more gain than a Mk III.. I have a mk IV A and it still out gains it...the mk IV is a wonderful you can't go wrong.. sell your RK on ebay and then you won't add or lose money..with the foot sitch i just roll the lead up and put it on top of the pedals in my pedal case..works fine..

Rabies, check out Squid Music in Stanton, CA. It is about 5 minutes north of the 405 on Beach Blvd. They have a used MKIV that is in awesome cond. The ser. num. makes me think it is a 2005 MKIVb head. They do trade-ins. Deal with Curt ONLY. Don't go if he is not there. He'll take care of you. as for the reverb, it is OK the RKI has much better rev. +1 on what Shep said about the Rythm 2 channel. The Footswitch can be a pain to put away on the amp, but if you wait until things cool down, there should be no prob, you'll get used to it. I prefer the wide body head and/combo. More room for the components to breathe and stay cool IMO.

The fact that the footswitch cable doesn't disconnect from the footswitch is a disappointment in an otherwise very cool design. Don't let this be a major deciding factor in whether you get the MK IV.

I like the widebody head better...mostly for cosmetic reasons. The blue pilot light is sexy as hell! 8) Also having the EQ and harmonics rocker switches on the front instead of the back is nice too.

If I was that close to Mesa Hollywood I would move in there!

I recently bought a used MkIV head. It's the best and most versatile amp I've ever had.

I have no problem with the footswitch and the reverb is fine.

You're gonna love this amp!

rabies said:
I hope the R2 on the Mark IVB has been significantly improved. I'd rather use lead on my Mark III green and turn down the volume knob on my guitar than use R2.

They should offer the Mark IV without the R2 (so it's like IIC+ with a different OT and better EQ selections).
i seriously love R2... i have a few parts in my band where it is absolutely perfect for the sound i'm trying to get, clean funky chords with a good grit and bite but enough definition to really hear the notes, and with this sweet nasty breakup on pick attack.

rabies,
If you don't like R2 then just don't use it. I rarely used R2 for the first 6 months.

rabies said:
Other than dimensions, weight differences and positioning of some switches on front/back, what other major differences are there b/n the short and medium Mark IV heads?

seems like a personal preference issue to me.

There isn't a difference.

What about EL34s in the Mark IV? Can you run just the 34s or just a combination of 34s with the 6s? Does anyone have any clips of 34s in the Mark IV? Is there a 1X12 cab that matches the physical width of the medium head? What are the weight differences between the short and medium head? Sorry for all the questions!

eltrain858 said:
rabies said:
I hope the R2 on the Mark IVB has been significantly improved. I'd rather use lead on my Mark III green and turn down the volume knob on my guitar than use R2.

They should offer the Mark IV without the R2 (so it's like IIC+ with a different OT and better EQ selections).
i seriously love R2... i have a few parts in my band where it is absolutely perfect for the sound i'm trying to get, clean funky chords with a good grit and bite but enough definition to really hear the notes, and with this sweet nasty breakup on pick attack.
I use my R2 mostly with the Strat for the same reasons. When I play PRS or Gibson it's Lead/EQ.. I don't like to have to make adjustments during a gig (except for maybe Master Volume 8) ), and changing guitars is a must, so I set up the amp for the guitars that'll be played.
+1 Mesa Hollywood

bianca-beauchamp-picture-1.jpg

Sorry ... I got distracted.. What'd you say...

I haven't tried the 6V6's yet. I have been too busy dinking with the DR. If I can muster up a free $100 I might get some though just to check it out. It wouldn't hurt to have the option available.

I believe there is a wide extension cab. I thought I saw one not too long ago for sale on e-bay. The wide head weighs in 4 lbs. heavier than the short.

rabies said:
I guess you can say that the Mark III/IV forces you to really pay attention to your articulation and picking patterns. And if you choose not to, I guess you can add slight delay.

They are real players' amps in my mind. Like older Marshalls. Great for leads and rhythms, unlike DR's (unless you use EL34's).

Like any tube amp the Marks force you to really be aware of your playing. The tightness of the Marks is what make them such nice amps though. I mean it is like driving a high performance race car. They just get every little bit of every little thing you throw at them.

rabies said:
I've read some threads on here about the footswitch and how it apparently attaches to the back of the short or long head but the cable does not disconnect from the footswitch like it does on the RK. Is Mesa planning on fixing that? Seems kinda strange to attach it to the back of the amp and it still dangles on and you put the cable in the head near the tubes.

Back when I used the footswitch, I modded it so the cable was detachable. I ordered a panel mount jack and an extra plug from Boogie's parts department, can't remember the cost but it wasn't too much. It takes a bit of soldering and use of a meter, but it was definitely worth it.

rabies said:
One reason Diezel amps cost more is b/c they are cathode biased (not fixed like Mesa) and you can install a wider variety of power tubes.
cathode biasing means, in general, that bias is fixed and it's a cheaper way how to run tubes. so I don't understand why should diezel amps cost more because of that :D

cathode biasing is mostly used with Class A amplifiers, modern guitar amplifiers have an extra bias supply and it depends on its construction (if it has trimmer or resistor at only one place) if it's possible to adjust bias or it's fixed. So if u have fixed bias supply and u want adjustable bias, u need to change one resistor for trimmer or little bit redesign the bias power supply in your amp :wink:

Latest posts

Back