buying a new Mark IV questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEVEL4 said:
A short head you can put in either a Mesa rackmount kit, a head shell, or a combo cab. Short heads rule, IMO.

A medium head you can put in a head shell or combo too !! :wink:
If you want it in a rack go for the short, but if you use a 4x12 Recto Std cab like me, it has to be the medium head !!! Anyway, I just LOVE the blue mains light on mine !!!!! :D

4Eyes said:
rabies said:
One reason Diezel amps cost more is b/c they are cathode biased (not fixed like Mesa) and you can install a wider variety of power tubes.
cathode biasing means, in general, that bias is fixed and it's a cheaper way how to run tubes. so I don't understand why should diezel amps cost more because of that :D

cathode biasing is mostly used with Class A amplifiers, modern guitar amplifiers have an extra bias supply and it depends on its construction (if it has trimmer or resistor at only one place) if it's possible to adjust bias or it's fixed. So if u have fixed bias supply and u want adjustable bias, u need to change one resistor for trimmer or little bit redesign the bias power supply in your amp :wink:

Technically cathode bias is different than fixed bias.

A JCM800 has adjustable fixed bias
A Mark III has non-adjustable fixed bias
An AC30 has cathode bias

phyrexia said:
Technically cathode bias is different than fixed bias.

A JCM800 has adjustable fixed bias
A Mark III has non-adjustable fixed bias
An AC30 has cathode bias
yop, I know.. maybe I used wrong words for what I want to say..:oops: all I wanted to say is, that cathode bias doesn't mean adjustable bias (that's how I understood what rabies wrote - in other post he was complaining about fixed bias and that mark IV doesn't have adjustable bias. and that was the reason why he went to diezel amps).

btw how I understand it:
adjustable bias (bias supply)
non-adjustable (fixed) bias (bias supply)
cathode bias (without bias supply. you can't adjust bias, that's why I wrote it means that bias is fixed)

Latest posts

Back