Boss NS-2 & MXR Phase 90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lord of the strings

Reaction score
Hi all
I was wondering , what are the real difference between MXR phase 90 and the EVH one?
Are there any major differences? is it worth buying the EVH one instead of the original?

Also,
I looked at the NS2 manual, and they say that, it is the best to connect the delay after the pedal and not in the effect loop. is that correct?

thanx

if you like modifying stuff (or would like to try) the Phase 90 is great for that. I've never played an EVH one but after a few mods and tinkering the stock phase 90 sounds pretty killer.

If you wanna try modding one, email me and ill send you some instructions and tips!

I dont know why the NS2 would be after a delay since it would cut off the delay tail if it is set too aggresively. Put the reverb and delay after the NS-2 in the loop

look at that,
some one wrote me that in other forum:

"The orange phase 90 has a nasty clipping issue. I owned it and lost it and don't care. The EVH doesn't have this issue, is much smoother, and has a script option which produces a much more even, unobstrusive phase tone that's supposed to emulate the classic scipt logo phase 90s of the 70s.

The EVH is worth the extra money, in the sense that I don't consider the basic orange box worth getting at all due to the harsh treble clipping it causes. I even tried tweaking the circuit board myself, following recommendations from online guides (specifically the "R28 mod" to those who know what that means) and it didn't improve the situation. Like I said, I got it and while it's a cool effect, its problems were such that I didn't care when I lost it. Get the EVH. It's an awesome pedal."

i was about to do the R28 mod....but....
i think that i will try the EVH one.

I use a regular phase90 and its awesome. I really does matter where in the chain you put it... makes all the difference!

The R28 mod is more for the intensity of the phase sound. clipping C11 and C12 will get rid of the distortion. if you like tinkering and saving maybe $50 go for the stock one and mess with it. ITS FUN!!!! haha

lerxst88 said:
The R28 mod is more for the intensity of the phase sound. clipping C11 and C12 will get rid of the distortion. if you like tinkering and saving maybe $50 go for the stock one and mess with it. ITS FUN!!!! haha

+1. for the extra dough, i would go with the custom shop script 90. less harsh and no nasty mids clip.

dani said:
lerxst88 said:

+1. for the extra dough, i would go with the custom shop script 90. less harsh and no nasty mids clip.

+100. I have a re-issue with the R28 mod and I recently got a '74 Script. The '74 sounds far smoother with no mid bump. While it certainly excels with a dirty tone, the '74 works a lot better with clean tones than the re-issue (with or without the R28 mod.) That said, if you do have a standard Phase 90 re-issue, the R28 and other mods are definitely worth trying and the R28 deletion is easily reversible as probably are the cap mods.

By the way, if you shop around, you can pick up '74 Script for less than $100. So it's not that much more than the standard re-issue if you hunt around a bit.

lord of the strings said:
Hi all I looked at the NS2 manual, and they say that, it is the best to connect the delay after the pedal and not in the effect loop. is that correct? thanx
That is correct, if the delay is put in the loop of the NS-2 with the other pedals the NS-2 will cut the delay repeats short making it sound unnatural.

I actually found the Phase 90 to be way too harsh in the loop so I put it out front and it sounds way better than it did. I also have it between my flanger and tremolo pedal on my board and its the best it has ever sounded.

lerxst88 said:

YES! You MUST do all three mods if you want the thing to stop clipping. After all three mods are done, this is a superb phaser, best one I've ever had. But the R28 mod alone will not stop the fizzy clipping issue. Easiest mod ever, also, because you are only removing and not replacing with other components.

soundchaser59 said:
lerxst88 said:

YES! You MUST do all three mods if you want the thing to stop clipping. After all three mods are done, this is a superb phaser, best one I've ever had. But the R28 mod alone will not stop the fizzy clipping issue. Easiest mod ever, also, because you are only removing and not replacing with other components.

I agree. I bought a standard Phase90 off ebay, cheap, did the R28,C11 and C12 mods, and it's now a whole different pedal, and very musical too. I would do it again.

can someone send me a link for the mods? I want to check this out.

Latest posts

Back