Questions for all 2:Ninety owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmartyn

Reaction score
Hi Boogie fans!

I recently purchased a second-hand 2:Ninety (second revision) for a good price, but not having heard one before I wanted to just check a few details to see whether mine needs looking over. I live quite far away from any amp techs, so would rather not spend the time and money getting it looked at if not necessary. However, I bought it off a touring musician and it's a little beaten-up, so just want to be sure.
  1. The amp came with the power tubes removed. Putting them back in, I noticed these are Tung Sol replacements for the original Mesa tubes. I haven't opened the unit, so don't know if the pre-amp valves have also been changed. Is this likely to make a difference to the sound? I can get a replace set of JJs, but this is expensive when the amp has so many so don't want to waste money on this if not necessary.
  2. The power and standby switches have some play in them. I've owned some Boogies in the past and all the switch and dials felt rock solid. Is that just the nature of these switches, or has someone been monkeying around inside and not tightend them up properly?
  3. The Modern mode is much more subtle than I was expecting, given the description in the manual. I can hear it opening-up the top end, but beyond that it doesn't seem to do that much. I also don't get the volume boost that the manual describes either. Is this a difference between revisions, something to do with the Tung Sols, the manual being hyperbolic or could this be a problem that a tech needs to look at? Both Deep and Half have much more dramatic effects.
Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back