Boogies are Breedin.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbalderrama

Reaction score
Mesa Mark amps are breeding in my house lately. A while ago I bought this one:

boog_0004.JPG

which is an original Mark 1. It's currently back at Mesa getting a cap job and general cleanup.

Since then I've also picked up a Mark IVa, and found a IIC+ locally from a friend off another board.

BoogieTower.jpg

All I need is a III to complete the series. :) Although I suppose if I really wanted a complete collection of Marks I'd need to get a IIa, IIb, Mark III of each stripe, and a Mark IVb.

Obviously, I like Mark series amps.

I'm still learning about them all. They have differences, but it's also easy to hear the family resemblence working from the Mark 1 to the Mark 4. In fact it's easier to understand the Mark 4 I think if you've used earlier Mark series amps.

The Mark 1 is super punchy and a really nice clean channel, and the lead channel is Santana all day long. Probably the closest Mark to "hot rodded fender" sound, although my experience with real Fender's is pretty limited. The Mark 1 can get flubby bass-wise though, so I find it works best not to dime anything, and use a good boost pedal to really get the lead channel singing. Sustain and Musical feedback are super easy with this amp. It's not a multiple channel amp, so I set it up to have a decent level of saturation than I can then dial back with the volume or hit with a boost. Its an outstanding amp run clean in the low gain imput as well.

The IIC+ I just got, but so far it seems to be more responsive to pick attack, volume, etc, than any other Mesa I've tried. Backing off the volume of the guitar seems to clean up nice without thinning out as much on this amp. It definately gets that Petrucci vibe going on. I find that with this amp I can set it up with a very hot distortion for heavy sounds, and dialing back the guitar volume works very well to bring it back to hard rock land. I'm not yet convinced that the IIC+ is the end all be all of the Mark series, but its a very nice amp with a great lead tone.

I owned a 4 a couple years ago but sold it. I never could figure out R2 on it. I decided to get another M4 and try again, and I think because I've had experience with the Mark 1 and my LoneStar that R2 makes more sense to me now. Super versatile amp. I've got R1 set clean of course. R2 is set to basically work like I use my Lonestars drive channel. Its set for a "hard rock" level of gain that I can dial back with the guitar vol. Hitting R2 with a boost gives a great lead tone. I have the lead channel setup so that without the EQ it gives me a lead channel that is boosted over the other channels, and the natural midrange cuts through nicely. The EQ is setup in a typical V, but brought down as well so that the sound level is equal with the other rhythm channels. So, I can basically use R1 clean, R2 "rock" rhythm or boosted for leads, Lead channel+EQ for heavy rhythm, or Lead Channel alone for solo. Works great with alot of versatility.

Overall, I think the M4 is a bit smoother sounding than the IIC+, but I may not have the IIC+ setup quite right yet. I think the IIC+ can actually get a heavier sound than the 4, but the 4 is close. At the moment my favorite lead tone on the Marks is the Mark IV R2 with a boost.

sbalderrama said:
...The Mark 1 can get flubby bass-wise though, so I find it works best not to dime anything, and use a good boost pedal to really get the lead channel singing...

I think I like something besides str 440 6L6's in my Mark I (RI) for exactly that reason.

Right now I'm running 6V6's (in tweed power) and I can actually use the bass pot! :shock:

I'm really getting the urge to try the 6V6's in my MKIV. I used to have a 1965 Deluxe Reverb and I'm thinking that the 6V6's would get me closer to the bouncy/lively cleans my Fender got. That's all the amp could do but it is a magical sound that the Lone Star excels at and I'm wondering how much closer the 6V6's can get a MKIV? And at what cost to he lead sound? Could you describe the effect of the 6V6's compared to the 6L6's? I'm thinking a spongier/rounder more early Fenderish sound. Springy? I don't want to lose the excellent tracking ability of the MKIV with the 6L6's though. Thanks.

Those descriptions were awesome! Thanks for the input!

As for the 4 vs C+ smoothness, try these settings on the C+

Vol 1=8-9
Treble=7 (pull)
Bass=1.75-2
Mid=4
Master 1=4-5 (pull)
Lead Drive=5-8 (pull) (gain to taste)
Lead Master=3-5
Presence=2-4

Those should nail smoothness and tight aggression!

sbalderrama said:
I owned a 4 a couple years ago but sold it. I never could figure out R2 on it. I decided to get another M4 and try again, and I think because I've had experience with the Mark 1 and my LoneStar that R2 makes more sense to me now. Super versatile amp. I've got R1 set clean of course. R2 is set to basically work like I use my Lonestars drive channel. Its set for a "hard rock" level of gain that I can dial back with the guitar vol. Hitting R2 with a boost gives a great lead tone. I have the lead channel setup so that without the EQ it gives me a lead channel that is boosted over the other channels, and the natural midrange cuts through nicely. The EQ is setup in a typical V, but brought down as well so that the sound level is equal with the other rhythm channels. So, I can basically use R1 clean, R2 "rock" rhythm or boosted for leads, Lead channel+EQ for heavy rhythm, or Lead Channel alone for solo. Works great with alot of versatility.

That's EXACTLY how i use my MkIII . . . 8)

wondering what you're using as a boost with R2 . . .

Vigo1999 said:
That's EXACTLY how i use my MkIII . . . 8)
wondering what you're using as a boost with R2 . . .

Xotic BB-Preamp, although at some point I'd like to try an AC Booster.

srf399 said:
...Could you describe the effect of the 6V6's compared to the 6L6's? I'm thinking a spongier/rounder more early Fenderish sound. Springy? I don't want to lose the excellent tracking ability of the MKIV with the 6L6's though. Thanks.

In my Mark I RI the 6V6's (have to use the "tweed" setting) are pretty Fenderish, but can do so much more.

The amp can still be hella loud on input 1 with the gains and Master cranked, and seems to "track" just fine to my ears.

The front Bass-Treb-Mid pots get more Fendery in their response (quite a bit less variation: more like a BF Fender or Master Vol Fender), but the back "Presence" pot is still quite effective and can be used to great effect on either input.

What's more, with the EFX jumpered with a short cord (gives another gain stage on the Mark I) it's amazing and insane. You can get the amp ocsillating and screeching, then back down some highs until it's stabilized (but on the verge on insanity) and the distortion is otherworldly. 8)

I've never heard a 6V6 amp do what this one will do, and loud besides. Easily sounds much bigger than the 40 watts Mesa claims on "tweed" with all 4 power tubes on the boil.

I think the C-90 Celestion enjoys it much more too. The 6L6'***** it too hard below the belt.

My Mark I has definitely picked up more Fender tweed vibe. It's not exactly 5E3 territory, but getting towards that more.
I can't remember what my DRRI sounded like anymore, but it was a one trick at one volume amp compared to this.

Latest posts

Back