Best power amp for jazz/fusion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicebreakup

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Studio pre and am looking into a power amp. I play mostly fusion (Chick Corea/ Tribal Tech/etc) and straight ahead jazz. I'm thinking either about a 50/50 or 20/20.

Wanted to know if the 20/20 had enough headroom for loud clean playing. I've heard mixed reviews. I had an F-30 amp a while back with EL-84's and it was way too dark and didnt have much punch in the bass and was wondering if I was going to have the same problem. BTW I'm using a Ibanez AS-100 semi hollow. Thanks!!

The 20/20 isn't known for huge bottom and huge clean headroom. I would say it suites loud rock playing best due to the low wattage. For low volume it's great especially because it is so light compared to everything else.

You may want to look into the simul 290, 295, 395 for clean bottom with a fast response. I own the 290 and it is a little dark unless you crank the presence but it has really quick response (I use it with a triaxis preamp). Have you thought about a MK II or III combo/head instead of going the rack route? Have you tried any solid state amps?

Greg

has anyone tried the 50/50? I'm might consider the bigger ones but at a measley 130 lbs, I dont want to push it!

I've tried some combo Mark amps (I also have a Mark I) but I really like the Studio Pre. I havent tried a Mark IIC+ but compared to the Mark III and IV, the Studio Pre to me better clean and lead tones. I'm also willing to consider non-Mesa power amps but I'll see what other people think.

I can't imagine running out of clean headroom with the 2:50 so it would probably suit you fine, but the 2:90 sounds sooooo good.

I'm currently using a 2:90 with my Jazz/Funk/Fusion band. I've always been in love with the Simul class sound though. I usually run it about 12 o'clock and balance my clean levels and amount of gain with the volume knob on the guitar in combination with a volume pedal in the effects loop of the Triaxis for a master volume.

I can understand the weight thing though. The new 2:50 is 23 pounds and the 2:90 is 35 pounds.

Chris... 8)

I also play a lot of jazz and fusion and I use a 50/50. It works great. I think you'll like it.

Back