Dual Rectifier Rev G drops volume after a while

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Blue

Reaction score
Hey, guys, my first post here.

I have a problem with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Rev G amplifier. After playing on it for a while (more than an hour), the volume of the Orange channel drops suddenly, after a few seconds it recovers. Then it does this intermittently. On the RED channel I don't have this problem.

I recently changed all the tubes in the preamp. Although I thought the problem was fixed, unfortunately it came back.

I did not change the power tubes, nor the rectifier ones. I'm thinking of doing that too, although I don't think they'd drop the volume on just one channel if it was from them...

A friend suggested I should tighten the socket pins, because they turn loose after a while and especially after it heats up and dilation occurs. I did that, the problem remains.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

(I Attached an audio sample, be careful if you listen through the headphones, it starts with a low volume)
20230206_222947.jpg.35190123dd8b0c029bfb5f9d6b718aa3.jpg

Attachments

• ProblemeMesa.mp3.7e5b571f7be49cc0c997224e486451e9.mp3
    976.4 KB
Last edited:
OP, dunno if you are still out there having this problem, but I have seen it on both a rev g dual and a tverb where there's a big resistor near the PI that's starting to heat up and desolder itself and/or cause its trace to lift. It's not a hard fix but it's a pain to troubleshoot, took multiple trips to the tech in my case because it wouldn't happen unless you played the amp for a good bit. Fix was new component on longer legs to keep it off the board...

Thank you for the input. I swapped the tubes with EL34s from my Marshall and the issues are gone. I will buy a set of matched 6L6 quad,

OP, dunno if you are still out there having this problem, but I have seen it on both a rev g dual and a tverb where there's a big resistor near the PI that's starting to heat up and desolder itself and/or cause its trace to lift. It's not a hard fix but it's a pain to troubleshoot, took multiple trips to the tech in my case because it wouldn't happen unless you played the amp for a good bit. Fix was new component on longer legs to keep it off the board...
Thanks for this man,
I have a similar issue on my tverb where I need to raise the master after 20 to 40 mins and then it stabilizes.
I have to raise it by a good bit (a single digit) in order to match the previous volume.
I've never understood the reason but I've always suspected a overheating issue and this might be it!

@CoG Do you have a pic of the resistor you changed or can you identify it on the schematic that is freely available on the internet?
Thanks!

What tubes are you using in the preamp, specifically V3? Are they Mesa branded? JJ’s? Tung-Sol reissue? Mullard reissue?

Russian tubes, especially New Sensor Corp brands (Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix, Mullard, Tung-Sol) can’t handle the voltages in the cathode follower (V3) and can cause volume drop outs. JJ’s, Chinese & the current Mesa branded (JJ) 12AX7 are what you want in this position.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/did-you-get-the-memo.25102/#post-186780

Back